Anyone running Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s?

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I am seriously considering these for the Montero Sport in a 285/75r16. Its an 2001, 3.0L, 4x4, Auto trans with a 2 inch body lift.

I want a tire that is capable off road and on road. I want it to look aggressive, like a mud tire, but still wear well and have good road manners. From what I have read this foots the bill.

304764d1396194440t-mickey-thompson-baja-atz-p3-anybody-running-these-yet-dscn3089.jpg

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1309-mickey-thompsons-make-it-happen/

Anyone running these all-terrain/mud tire Hybrid?

Stevemc181

Observer
My Gen 4 Paj is running the ATZ P3's in 265/70/17, and I am very impressed with these tyres. I've just completed a 15,000km journey in a heavily loaded Gen 4 Pajero that took in some of the roughest roads and tracks that we have here in Australia. A variety of terrain from extreme corrugations to Desert and Mountain trails, no punctures suffered, although I did hit a clump of tree roots one night in the Great Victoria Desert and managed to put a stake through a tread lug. I just removed it and inspected the tyre, no notable damage so I carried on.

The tyres suffered some minor chipping, but this was to be expected, as some of the tracks are little more than rock fields. They do have a bit of road noise, but nothing too bad, they are a very aggressive looking A/T, but they also handle the road well. I rotate 6 tyres and have done around 25,000km's on them, tread wear is good and they have now worn about 2mm. I need to let the pressures down a bit further than my previous Maxxis 700's when on sand, but this is to be expected from a tyre with such a strong carcass. When on high speed dirt they go where they are pointed and are like chalk and cheese compared to my previous tyres.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and will be purchasing another set when these wear out.

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok circling back around. We did some hard looking and came up empty on the used front, but managed to budget enough to pull off the ATZ P3's.

I admit I could not get past the good looks for it being an AT. Best I could find in a AT that had the more aggressive MT look. The reviews I read gave it great marks in snow, ice and rain. The longevity seems very good based on reviews, comparable to the STZ. The STZ is what my buddy has on his work van and he loves them. Also good with Ice. I hate to say in GA if we have a snow event... its always ice. This and rain is one reason I could not justify the MTs, plus the lack of longevity on the HWY.

So I'm taking the plunge! Should get them tonight and have them installed tomorrow. :D

tmp_16937-IMG_7363006765565-287564747.jpg

tmp_16937-IMG_7354239401064593582109.jpg

tmp_16937-IMG_6460326033101-1999439646.jpg

Last edited:

cnutco

Adventurer
I have never been a fan of Mickey Thompson, that's just me. I bet they will look and perform just fine. Good point about the GA weather.

What part of GA are you in?

cnutco

Adventurer
Ah! I'm about an hour NE of Atlanta. Hit me up if you ever go for a ride on the north side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redraif

The uphill battle begins
We go up to the Buford area now and again. Will let you know when we venture up. We are definitely overdue for a trip to the malls.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Nice to hear about Monteros in the North SC and GA areas. Have either of you been to the trails near Clayton, GA or Jocassee Lake, SC?

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I have not. I'm new to the 4x4 scene so I would need to have some training before I try anything... lol

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
The trails aren't very difficult. My grandfather and uncle both run jeeps, so I just follow them with the Montero.

cnutco

Adventurer
Nice to hear about Monteros in the North SC and GA areas. Have either of you been to the trails near Clayton, GA or Jocassee Lake, SC?

I have ventured around North GA, but mostly the Northeast parts. I want to go back to Lake Jocassee for sure! It has been almost two decades since my dad took us to camp at this little pond called Lake Jocassee. Little did we know. Beautiful place!

redraif

The uphill battle begins
So thanks to my transmission leak rearing it's ugly head again.... the sport went with the tires packed in it to the shop. Not sure when it will be fixed and the tires installed... ugh. Hoping b4 the weekend.

Lol.... check this out! You can totally fit four 285/76 r16s in the back of a sport... lol!

tmp_21219-20150128_084907-1234718836.jpg

tmp_21219-20150128_084849-1620469872.jpg

tmp_21219-20150128_084926-287564747.jpg

redraif

The uphill battle begins
The shop felt bad that they are still tinkering with the trans and I can't see my new tires on the rig, so the girl at the front desk sent these:

IMG950709.jpg

IMG950711.jpg

earljuic3

Adventurer
I was torn over these tires I almost bought them but went with Cooper Discoverer AT3 285/75/16 .. No Regrets!

Looking good BTW !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier