DC fridge freezer as a freezer

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I'm not a good scientist.

I disagree. You're using methodical experimentation to objectively measure, characterize, or understand some phenomenon. That's pretty much the definition of a good scientist. And the cool thing about conducting research is that you often unexpectedly learn other interesting stuff in the process (like the properties of supercooled water).

Kartman35

That's very kind thanks

I still feel a little silly for not noticing that some of the bottle were already frozen solid....good scientist needs to observe the experiment in progress better than not noticing half of the bottles were frozen solid and reporting no ice...

Back to the results. I've reached the lowest temps (the Engel is actually cycling now on max) and I'm impressed. The water bottle temp is at -5F and the air temps around the top of the cooler are -3F. My next plan is to remove five bottles and replace them with room temp bottles and see how long it takes them to freeze. I just need to figure out how to remove 5 bottles as they're all frozen together in there.

As for my battery consumption tests they'll come after, but I figure that if the compressor runs all the time at 3 amps and I'm running it 20 hours a day, that's 60 ah from a 90ah battery. This is beyond what I'm told is good for a battery (best not to discharge more than 50%). We'll see. Worst case is I need to bring two batteries wired in parallel.

More info as it comes in, now I'm going to try to pry some bottles out of this baby.

Go Engel go!!!

Kartman35

Pictures and more bad science revealed

Scientist can't count

I thought I had 18 bottles in there...turns out it was 15 the whole time. Sorry

Anyhow, last night at around 2 I managed to get some bottles out and replaced 5 with fresh room temp bottles. Water temp probe was placed in one of the new bottles and air probe near the top. I can only squish the top of one of the bottles. I am calling them 80% frozen after 12 hours. So far very pleased with the performance of the little unit.

In the photos,

General setup including Engel MD14F, Yamaha EF2000is, Deka Marine Master DC27 battery, Minnkota 10A automatic charger, 120VAC-12VDC 5.8A adapter, and Stoker wifi BBQ pit controller. As for the rubber matting and dog toy stuffed under the rear corner, I have found that if I set it up that way it cuts down on vibration noise. I think there's something loose in there and I plan to open it up and see where all the noise is coming from....maybe add some foam here and there to quiet her up. For a hundred buck though I ain't complainin'.

open views taken the morning after replacing 5 of 15 bottles.

Attachments

• openfreezer.jpg
    openfreezer.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 13
  • fridgesmalldoor.jpg
    fridgesmalldoor.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 9
  • fridgesetup1.jpg
    fridgesetup1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Kartman35

Results and plans for next test

When I got home from work less than 24 hours after adding the 5 room temp bottles to the 10 frozen ones I had fifteen rock hard water bottles and a ice temp reading of -5F. That should provide plenty of cooling to keep my cooler at fridge temps as long as I can keep the freezer going. Pretty pleased so far.

My next plan I'm calling 'Extend-an-Engel'.

I found this styrofoam cooler at work that happens to be the perfect fit to jam into the top of my Engel to hopefully gain a few liters of usable space. My plan is to find another identical cooler and cut them and glue them together to match the length of the opening and jam it all in there creating a taller freezer. I'll do some tests to see how cold it stays up top once loaded with frozen goods. I would of course put anything to be frozen on the bottom, and the frozen stuff on top will hopefully stay cold enough that nothing thaws.

Attachments

• extendanengel2.jpg
    extendanengel2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Extendanengel.jpg
    Extendanengel.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 6

bluejeep

just a guy
When I got home from work less than 24 hours after adding the 5 room temp bottles to the 10 frozen ones I had fifteen rock hard water bottles and a ice temp reading of -5F. That should provide plenty of cooling to keep my cooler at fridge temps as long as I can keep the freezer going. Pretty pleased so far.

My next plan I'm calling 'Extend-an-Engel'.

I found this styrofoam cooler at work that happens to be the perfect fit to jam into the top of my Engel to hopefully gain a few liters of usable space. My plan is to find another identical cooler and cut them and glue them together to match the length of the opening and jam it all in there creating a taller freezer. I'll do some tests to see how cold it stays up top once loaded with frozen goods. I would of course put anything to be frozen on the bottom, and the frozen stuff on top will hopefully stay cold enough that nothing thaws.

For expanding it, can you do anything with this non-working Engel? link

Kartman35

That's cool...

My foam thingy really fits nice and snug side to side in there and weighs next to nothing and costs zero...so I'm just gonna try that thanks.

This unit looks very similar to mine, the only visible difference is the cover not having the small door in it. I spoke to Engel USA regarding the noise issue I was having, and was told that a new cooling unit for my machine was 300$. Just mentioning that in case anyone wants of these and picks up that defective one on EBAY. This includes the compressor, condenser, and evaporator which is all foamed in to that light gray colored plastic midsection. (A new one is 645$). UApparently you just attach your electrical and lid and bottom and that's it. (Unless of course the problem is with that unit's electric board.

I will say that the guy at Engel was very helpful and willing to help a non-customer with suggestions on my noise problem. Big thanks to the Engel guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior