Fuso 4X4 XPCamper Cube Build

casejeep

Observer
Im thinking about bumpers, suspension, and SWC.

Are there any pro's to keeping the dual wheels?

The only suspension I can find in the USA is from ATW. But is this a must?

haven

Expedition Leader
"any pro's to keeping the dual wheels"

The most important might be the availability of replacement tires in 3rd world countries. The super singles are not easy to find, even in USA. They often need to be special ordered and shipped in from a national warehouse. How bad are the roads you intend to travel on?

casejeep

Observer
Oh that is a good point! Im not planning on taking it on Moab trails. But I plan on taking it on 4x4 roads. But I also plan on driving on freeways until I get to dirt.

Maninga

Adventurer
There's probably 4 main changes I'd make to the Fuso to get it comfortable over stock.
Once you know the end weight, get the suspension designed to suit with a ride that's comfortable for you. Stock suspension is rather harsh, it's designed for full weight and a variable load, a motorhome is typically within a fairly defined range that can be customised. There's both the ATW and Earthcruiser packages, or going down the custom route. I've got the parabolics on mine, trucks not loaded yet so the ride's a bit bumpy but should settle down. Gave me 2 inches of lift over stock too.
Super singles can give you a combination of ground clearance increase and stops rocks getting stuck between the dual wheels. I've got the ATW super singles, the tyre's overkill in a number of ways (I've heard them described as a 10 ton truck tyre on a 5 ton truck) but very tough. I carry 2 spares but fully expect not to need them.
Dynamat in the cab takes out a lot of the road noise. Still to do that. Both wife and I noticed the noise bringing truck home, depending on the road conditions made talking inside a little hard at times.
More comfortable seats. Drivers side in mine wasn't too bad on the drive down, wife now won't go for more than 4 hours using the stock passenger seat, it's rubbish.

familyvan

Adventurer
Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing somw sketches. As Maninga said earthcrusier is also offering suspension upgrade. Other than EC and ATW custom would be the only other option. I think....

casejeep

Observer
How is everyone (in the USA) insuring your rigs? Geico said mine would not qualify as an RV because it was "custom made". Anyone else have this problem?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Check this thread over at escapees. http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=110193

I insure mine through my business under the "all owned vehicles" provision. If I had to do it personally, I'd be checking the sources they discuss in the link, and also leaning pretty hard on my independent insurance agent to come up with something.

pugslyyy

"any pro's to keeping the dual wheels"

The most important might be the availability of replacement tires in 3rd world countries. The super singles are not easy to find, even in USA. They often need to be special ordered and shipped in from a national warehouse. How bad are the roads you intend to travel on?

Of course, sticking with the duallies is no guarantee. I think Doug had to get tires shipped in from Africa when he was in South America. :)

Personally I believe that going with the steel rims and the Toyo M608z tires is about the most bomb proof a setup you can come up with.

In addition to the Australian sourced suspensions, there are a number of domestic leaf spring sources. Deaver did mine.

KMG

Adventurer
Hello,
What year is your Fuso? I called Deavers and they said I'd have to send them my front and rear spring to use as a guide to build new springs. 4-6 weeks with out the truck or my other option was to buy 2 new stock springs and hopefully sell them when Deavers is done. I'm hoping you have a source I could try instead of paying $5,750.00 for the ATW parabolic springs.
Thanks, Kevin
Of course, sticking with the duallies is no guarantee. I think Doug had to get tires shipped in from Africa when he was in South America. :)

Personally I believe that going with the steel rims and the Toyo M608z tires is about the most bomb proof a setup you can come up with.

In addition to the Australian sourced suspensions, there are a number of domestic leaf spring sources. Deaver did mine.

pugslyyy

Hello,
What year is your Fuso? I called Deavers and they said I'd have to send them my front and rear spring to use as a guide to build new springs. 4-6 weeks with out the truck or my other option was to buy 2 new stock springs and hopefully sell them when Deavers is done. I'm hoping you have a source I could try instead of paying $5,750.00 for the ATW parabolic springs.
Thanks, Kevin

Ah, if you need the truck then that's an issue - but Deaver does good work if you can take the downtime. My (2007) Fuso tends to sit for a few months at a time between trips so that's not as much of an issue for me.

Did they quote you a cost?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Real Truth

Are there any pro's to keeping the dual wheels?

Scholars can debate the benefits of singles vs. duals for dirt, rocks, snow, etc. As Haven noted, the Misubishi uses the most common light truck tire in the world; the venerable 7.50x16. (OK, they size it as 235/85x16LT, but it is the old Land Rover four door tire from years gone by. Available just about anywhere on earth.)

History will record that Doug Hackney got replacements off the shelf in Peru. Even got load range G.

But, how much time are you going to be spending in the Third World?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Hello,
Thanks, Kevin

EarthCruiser has a suspension package that includes front and rear springs, bushings, shackles and pins, front and rear shocks as well as super single wheels and wheel nuts. We are in Bend OR.

pugslyyy

EarthCruiser has a suspension package that includes front and rear springs, bushings, shackles and pins, front and rear shocks as well as super single wheels and wheel nuts. We are in Bend OR.

EC makes a fine package and knows their stuff. If my Fuso was designed a lower GVW I would definitely consider their offerings. The tire/rim combo they offer is excellent for a lighter weight vehicle (like they produce) but I ended up deciding it was not going to be the right choice for my particular implementation.

Not because I didn't like it, or them - simply their answer to the aftermarket suspension and tires / wheel was not going to be the best choice for me.

Choosing the right solution is less choosing right from wrong / good from bad, than know what you need and the deciding from the several good choices available what syncs up best with your requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior