Proper transport of handgun thru California

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Like the title says, what is the safest or legal way to carry a handgun while traveling in California. I will be in a Tacoma with a Leer shell on it. I'm thinking with ammo and clips separate. It's a Glock 23, not that it makes any difference. Thanks, Ron

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Like the title says, what is the safest or legal way to carry a handgun while traveling in California. I will be in a Tacoma with a Leer shell on it. I'm thinking with ammo and clips separate. It's a Glock 23, not that it makes any difference. Thanks, Ron

My understanding is that as long as the gun and ammo are not together and one or the other is locked up some place other than the passenger compartment the Law Enforcement could care less. However! Both for your own equipment safety and most cops tend to like knowing the gun is the thing locked away some place given they can't tell if its loaded or not till they check and clear it them selves. Keep in mind a smash and grab type break in is the typical Homeless and questionable character type vehicle breakin here in CA. Your prized hand gun locked in a lock box bolted down some place will be there when you get back from lunch but your loose change and bag of dirty gym clothes might be gone.

chet6.7

Explorer
Laws are always changing,taking advice from the internet has some downsides on this issue,if that advice is wrong and it turns you into a felon.
My local PD kept my 80 year old uncle on the side of the road for a couple of hours as they tried to figure out a way to get him in trouble for the .22 rifle in his truck.

Get the info from here.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms
[url]http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

[/URL]

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
Rule #1 - don't post it on any internet forums... DANG!

Check the local regs in the areas you'll be in, too... what is cool with CHP may not be cool with certain municipalities.

In general: locked ammo and locked (unloaded) firearm in separate areas of the vehicle are OK in most areas. Gloveboxes and center consoles are not considered safe storage locations, sometimes. Some regs require that the firearm and ammo be stored separately AND out of reach of any people in the vehicle.

To be safe you can also unload any magazines

NikonRon

Adventurer
My plan is to have it totally inaccessible in the shell area. The shell will be locked. Be very hard to find. I also very seldom am out of sight of my truck. Ron

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
That's right. You'll be fine. I keep my locked container right next to me in the drivers seat, mags at the ready. All legal. No probs. :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My first yr living in SF I foiled a breakin in progress by pure random luck. Stepped out on the curb at 6am with my Red Doberman for our morning walk. Leer shell on my neighbors red Tacoma. Two clowns trying to force open the side window. The only thing in the truck was a roll of sleeping pad foam and an old sleeping bag. Black out your windows and bolt a lock box to the truck bed for your gun and valued items.. Think of it as your hotel lock box. Even some charter cruise boats ive seen have a lock box bolted down some place. When I get my dream rig Ill put one in. Been tempted to put one in my Subaru and Sequoia.

brentbba

Explorer
Since you can't 'skip' or 'go around' the Peoples Republik of California, safest thing to do is not even bring a handgun into this state. It's horrifically bad in this particular regard. If you must, you've gotten some good advice above with separate and locked absolutely at a minimum.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Surprised no one accosted you for referring to a "clip". I would keep it separate and locked. Then again don't speed, make sure no head/taillights are burned out, and your tags are not expired. Sure they would love to search an out of state guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles