LR3 load range E tires; what pressure

medicfernando

Adventurer
I am wondering what tire pressure you all are running with load range 265/65-18 tires on and LR 3-4, not loaded, daily driving? Thanks!

zelatore

Explorer
Not DD, and 275/65-18 Duratracs, I've been running 50R,40F cold for highway. Dropping to 30R, 20F hot for rocks/trail work.

GORM

Adventurer
What's the logic?

s this a function of a larger tire size vs stock 255/55-18? Stock LR3 is approx 33/41? I just purchased BFG ATKO2 265/65-18 and wondering what I should be running for DD. Your response is helpful, but just wondering WHY the 20%+ increase?

morrisdl

Adventurer
I used a IR thermometer to map the surface temp of the inside, middle, and outside running surface. If the middle was hotter, I lowered the pressure and vise-versa. I with even temps across the running surface of the time I was at front 47psi and rear 51psi. This was for my 32" duratracs.

srschick

Adventurer
I used a IR thermometer to map the surface temp of the inside, middle, and outside running surface. If the middle was hotter, I lowered the pressure and vise-versa. I with even temps across the running surface of the time I was at front 47psi and rear 51psi. This was for my 32" duratracs.

did the same thing, my Nitto TerraGrappler G2's (LT285-60/18) came to like 45 front, 48 rear.

Jwestpro

Explorer
temp across tread is nice idea but load is also an important part. It cannot be possible that the ideal psi for my heavily loaded lr3 on 275/65x18 bfg is the same as a stock lr3 on same tire size.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Not DD, and 275/65-18 Duratracs, I've been running 50R,40F cold for highway. Dropping to 30R, 20F hot for rocks/trail work.

Don, I cannot see how 20 psi up front is enough. At least it seems way to soft on my lr3. What's on the front end of yours? I have the basic ARB/winch with synthetic line but pretty heavy batteries (140 lbs for the pair), several Rasta guards, etc. Well, the sliders ad about 100 lbs just to the front assuming their weight is split evenly front to rear. Interesting on that, have only ever really thought about those in terms of the side to side and overall hauling weight of 200 lbs for the pair.

Inside I've effectively swapped some items for others such as fridge for center 2nd row seat, gear for port side 2nd row seat, recovery gear and camping stuff for 3rd row seats.

Still, 30 psi is about as soft as it looks to be safe in tricky terrain surfaces. This is on the new BFG ko2

zelatore

Explorer
I'm not as heavy on the front as you. ARB w/winch and snth line but only one bat + my compressors (not much weight). Between the axles are TR sliders and skids, and my fridge is replacing the center seat; my heavy recovery gear lives on the floor behind the drive's seat. Most of my weight of course is in the rear with a custom rear bumper, spare, jerry can, rack, tools/spares, camping gear, etc. I really should do individual axle weights sometime.
20 front is getting pretty low on rocky terrain. I've never lost a bead or damaged a rim (other than the usual rock scrapes on the face), but when leaning heavily on one tire it will compress almost to the rim. I don't usually run that low, but do go to 25 fairly normally in technical stuff. But for example in OR on the BCDR I ran at aprx 35 front 40 rear - no need for traction there but it softened the ride a bit plus I was extra-heavy on that run with more water and fuel than normal. And another guy in an LR3 did cut a tire at full street pressure (not running an E tire...I think goodyear adventures?) where nobody else did on a rocky bit. Probably more coincidence than anything but had he dropped pressure some maybe he'd have gotten away with it.
I've tried 18 in the dunes (Pismo) but didn't spend enough time there to really find out how it worked. As heavy as these things are and with the limited sidewall they'll never be great in the sand. I've also used 18-20 in the snow but not fully loaded.
I have got a few cuts and gouges on the sidewalls over the last 20 months or so I've had these tires. I've also got some tread chunking showing up. The Duratracs have a bit of a reputation for not having the strongest sidewalls, though the E rated stuff is alleged to be better. I haven't damaged any to the point I consider them unsafe or unusable, but it has made me wonder about switching to a Cooper next time. Speaking of switching, looks like that will be sooner than expected. I'm guessing I'll get a max of 25-30K miles out of these Duratracs. I hadn't noticed how much tread I've used until I parked next to a buddy who had a new set on. I'm about half way through already and have around 15K miles on them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94