Ultimate backseat organizer

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I am looking the ultimate backseat organizer. I have the Blue Ridge MOLLE setup on the D/S Porsche but am looking something that holds close to the seat and can hold my maps. I have tried the Uncle Mike's Police seat back organizer but it only loops around the headrest and sways around and is best suited for the front of the P/S seat.

The Military panel inner pocket is not big enough for Atlas sized maps. What have you guys found to work for you? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20150113_170950_685.jpg
    IMG_20150113_170950_685.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20150113_171235_580.jpg
    IMG_20150113_171235_580.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 138
  • $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 129

rayra

Expedition Leader
Why not modify the Uncle Mike's product by adding some additional retention straps to it? It's not very difficult to do.

(and it's seat back, not back seat)

siebermd

Adventurer
I have the Blue Ridge Overland gear, Headrest bag. Its pretty much made for carrying the "Atlas" sized maps. Plus it has Molle connections for other items. I like it.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Why not modify the Uncle Mike's product by adding some additional retention straps to it? It's not very difficult to do.

(and it's seat back, not back seat)

As one can see in the picture the tarp clips on the bottom of the Uncle Mike bag. There is not much material to clip to nor is there enough to make a grommet

davegonz

Explorer
Mike, I had the Smittybilt seat back organizer on my old 80 series and it was nice and snug behind the seat.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/smittybilt-universal-truck-seat-covers.689237/

20130124_120210.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Like the OP I wanted a lower profile seat back organizer and one with a larger lower pocket to conveniently but securely store Benchmark/Delorme size map books along with other accessories I like to keep handy: Air up hose assembly, gloves, headlamp, window cleaner, etc. I couldn't find anything commercially available that fit my bill so I decided this would be my first real sewing project.

For an experienced stitcher this project wouldn't pose any challenge but it was a test of my rudimentary sewing/fabric fabbing skills (or lack of :D). All in all I am happy with how it turned out, but like most one-off projects I could do better the next time.

After, much like my welder, I vacillated too many years to admit before opting to purchase a sewing machine capable of stitching together the types of fabrics I seem to need for these projects several years ago I pulled trigger on a Sailrite. Its been, again like my TIG welder, one of the better tool investments I've made.

Go ahead: Make it!

spressoFAB Seatback Organizer.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I went with a set of custom made tactical seat covers from Coverking.com. I really can't say enough about these covers. They custom make each set to fit your particular application. The tactical set I got came with molle webbing on the back that lets me keep any number of tools and gear handy. I've had over 40 lbs on each seat an not signs of tearing. They fit snug and look sharp. Water resistant, stain resistant and tough enough for me. Simple enough to install, though it took a little more muscle than I expected. Still, perfect fit.
If you give them a chance, I'm sure they can make a seat cover that will fit your needs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

They have a wide range of fabrics and styles to choose from. Heck, send them a design and you can probably get exactly what you want. It will be a bit pricy, but for a one off, its not bad. Just be prepared to wait a while since each set is hand made only after its been ordered. I waited over a month for mine and it was SO worth it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
As one can see in the picture the tarp clips on the bottom of the Uncle Mike bag. There is not much material to clip to nor is there enough to make a grommet

sew a crossstrap all across the seat side of it, and have that strap wrap around the whole seat. 1/2" flat webbing, about 20mins with a sewing machine. Any drycleaners should have a seamstress that will do it for not much money, if you don't know anyone close that can sew.

eta spressomon is getting it done!

eta see my own initial sewing efforts here - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...eas-for-a-lightweight-compact-flexible-design

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The sewing idea is a good idea. The edge of the Uncle Mike bag is thick and very rigid . I had thought about trying to put a grommet in but there seems to not have enough room. I will relook at the bag.

Thanks for all your ideas. The Molle panel is great. I plan on using a cheap air soft MOLLE vest on the front my P/S so I can have some storage there and not have to rummage around in my usual seat bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94