Fat bike purchase

p nut

butter
Blackborrow would be very nice, only a little outside your planned 2K...unless you have access to QBP.

Which ones have you had a chance to ride?

Pug and a custom (don't remember the geo). Rode yesterday. Have yet to find a Muk I could demo. Surly is currently doing the $150 coupon, so that is tempting.

Pug was not bad, actually. Even preferred it over the custom. I wish I could have demoed a Moonlander as well, as I'd like to have compared 4" to 5" tires. 4" tires did well, but got squirrelly in some spots. This was all in slushy, but packed snow.

GHI

Adventurer
My initial budget was also 2K when I started shopping. I took a spin on the Pugs and a Moonlander. I was dead set on one of them, but hesitated on the purchase until they were both gone. I shopped around for quite some time, but nobody had my size.

I later had a hiking trip planned for Isle Royale National Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula which is near Copper Harbor that has some sweet riding. My last bike purchase was somewhere around 1997 so I needed an upgrade if I was to hit the trails I kept hearing about.

The trip was just days away and I didn't have time to drive to all the bike shops so I called around. I could only locate a gold colored Mukluk 2 in my size. I was weirded out by the sound of the color until I saw it in person. It only took one lap around the building and I knew this was what I had been waiting for. It was a little more than I had initially wanted to spend. I haven't thought about it once though because the bike always puts a big smile on my face when I ride it and that, to me, is well worth it. Truth be told I think it makes me smile even just looking at it. It also pulls a trailer with 2yr old quite well.

Now I'm poring over various gear combinations I can outfit the bike with for extended trips. The only issue is by the time I get the gear all sorted out I'll be ready for a bike upgrade because I am now inspired to get out and ride more.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Now I'm poring over various gear combinations I can outfit the bike with for extended trips. The only issue is by the time I get the gear all sorted out I'll be ready for a bike upgrade because I am now inspired to get out and ride more.
Take a peek at Bedrock Bags. Andrew not only makes killer bikepacking bags, he's an ExPo member, overlander, general great guy. www.bedrockbags.com I will use nothing but Bedrock.

p nut

butter
My initial budget was also 2K when I started shopping. I took a spin on the Pugs and a Moonlander. I was dead set on one of them, but hesitated on the purchase until they were both gone. I shopped around for quite some time, but nobody had my size.

I later had a hiking trip planned for Isle Royale National Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula which is near Copper Harbor that has some sweet riding. My last bike purchase was somewhere around 1997 so I needed an upgrade if I was to hit the trails I kept hearing about.

The trip was just days away and I didn't have time to drive to all the bike shops so I called around. I could only locate a gold colored Mukluk 2 in my size. I was weirded out by the sound of the color until I saw it in person. It only took one lap around the building and I knew this was what I had been waiting for. It was a little more than I had initially wanted to spend. I haven't thought about it once though because the bike always puts a big smile on my face when I ride it and that, to me, is well worth it. Truth be told I think it makes me smile even just looking at it. It also pulls a trailer with 2yr old quite well.

Thanks for the feedback. I am also wondering if a Fat trailer exists. We've got a Chariot that currently has 20x2.1 tires on it, with good room to spare. I'm wondering if I can get some 20x2.5-3.0 tires to fit. Would be some nice added comfort for our 2 kids.

GHI

Adventurer
To the OP: Your trailer comments prompted me and the little guy to go for a ride in the fresh snow today. We had a blast, but I'm also wondering if it's worth investigating different tires on the trailer. Keep us posted if you find anything else in relation to that as well as what you end up with bike wise.

I also took a peek at the Bedrock products. I'm quite comfortable spending some cash there in the near future. Thanks for the info Mr. Noel.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback. I am also wondering if a Fat trailer exists. We've got a Chariot that currently has 20x2.1 tires on it, with good room to spare. I'm wondering if I can get some 20x2.5-3.0 tires to fit. Would be some nice added comfort for our 2 kids.

I have seen people up here re-build chariot wheels with the old 24 inch large marge rims and 24"x3.0 nokian gazzaloddi tires. wish I would have saved a picture of the one for sale on Craigslist earlier this year.

Also look at the Robert Axle Project if you need thru axles or fatbike axles for your Chariot.
http://www.robertaxleproject.com/

and I 2nd what Flounder said about Bedrock Bags and Andrew's work, he custom made my frame bag for my fatback after Revelate was no longer taking custom orders.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Ended up ordering the Blackborow DS. If the dingle set up ends up being too much (err...little), the bike is almost fully gear ready, so conversion shouldn't be a big deal.

If I get it soon enough, I might register for the Fat Bike nationals being held at Powder Mountain in a couple of weeks. Single speed category, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz