Fat bike purchase

p nut

butter
Winter bike blues is kicking my butt. Road riding is ok, but miss the mountains. I went on a ride last weekend on my mountain bike, but got me thinking that I don't want to be restricted to certain trails (that see a lot of traffic, thereby packing down the snow enough to ride my bike on). Budget is $2k, so Beargrease, ICT, etc. are out of the question. I'm also a (little) bit snobby, so online offerings, Origin8's and other cheap bikes are out.

I think this pretty much leaves me with the OG Pug or Mukluk. The Pugsley has it's appeal, as it is spec'ed with 135mm hubs, interchangeable f&r, track ends (I like SS'ing), nice component package (I really like that they went with microshift). Downside, it uses track ends (pain in the neck if outfitted with fenders. A pain even without), and it's heavier.

Mukluk - A bit lighter (I believe). I like the alternator drops for ease of taking the wheel on/off. Can be used with a suspension fork (although I don't see myself getting one). I like the 170mm rear hub, as this is the answer for Surly's front/rear wheel interchangeability. You can simply flip the wheel and use a Tomicog in case of derailer/cassette/hub failure.

Both can take 4.8" tires (from what I've read). Seems Pug is a bit more tour oriented and Muk has slacker angles for the mountain trails. I think the Mukluk makes more sense to me for what I'll be doing (some overnight bikepacking, but mostly mountain trails).

Thoughts?

By the way, I don't want a Trek. Or the big S.

wayoutwest

Thoughts....based on what you say you will be doing "some overnights, but mostly mountain trails"....I say Muk.

Your right in the Pug being more tour oriented, the Pug is now kinda old school with it's offset and 135mm hubs but easy to replace if needed or swap ft/rr. The Muk will be 135/170 so you can't switch the front/rear...not sure about a Tomicog? what happens with your rear disc rotor?

I you want 4.8 you can do it on the Muk, I think you need 80mm rims...I also think your limited to 3.8 with the Pug unless you went with a Moonlander fork (4.8 on 100s) but then you loose the ability to swap with the rear.

Also consider a used bike, there are several on Facebook right now, as people bought them changed their mind etc. guy in Michigan (I think) has a 9:zero:7 with 100s, 4.8s, all their rack mounts...

I know you said you dont want a "cheap" bike but those Motobecanes from BikesDirect look ok...the Alaskan from Framed are a killer deal.

and not that it matter but I really really like mine from the big S...it rides like heaven.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Muk for sure. I had a Pug, rode it half a dozen times and on that experience alone became a vocal detractor of fatness. Then, I bough a Mukluk and blushed. "Oh, this is what it is supposed to be like....aaaahhhh."

The Muk is really more fun to ride. I would go with the Mukluk. I sold mine for a song in about 20 hours, so the go quickly. Don't waffle on price if you find one for sale.

fortel

Adventurer
I've been looking at fat bike options also. What about the two Double Doubles from Felt? Both models under the $2K mark you mention. I've never owned a Felt but their fat bikes look to be pretty nice.

Just my opinion but I think both the Salsa and Surlys are WAY overpriced. $2k for a fully rigid bike with big tires. It's nuts! That said, my first fatbike was a Muk 2 and it served me well. My gf still had a Mukluk but if I were spending now I'd buy that Framed Minnesota 3.0. Several of my friends own that bike and it rides great. They paid less than half of what I spent on my gal's Mukluk and the their bikes have virtually the same component group, aluminum frame and the Framed bikes are lighter! Pisses me off but I'm glad there's a comp at finally pricing these bikes where they should be. Kudos to Surly for being their at the start but enough with the price gouging!

The Framed bikes are solid, look good, ride well and the more they sell the more the bike industry will get realistic with their pricing and the more folks will take up fat biking.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Just my opinion but I think both the Salsa and Surlys are WAY overpriced. $2k for a fully rigid bike with big tires. It's nuts!
Well, same could be said for $400,000 EarthRoamers, right?

I don't think many would disagree that Framed isn't charging hard with their best attribute being the value, which isn't anything to baulk at. That's a great way to enter an increasingly competitive market...if you can pull it off. Probably just the aches of a new start-up, word on the trail is, buyers are having a difficult time getting their hands on the Framed bikes they ordered. A wrinkle that may work itself out soon enough.

I think bike values, and certainly fatbike values, are tough to nail down. While a $2000 Mukluk seems pricey, a $3500 carbon fiber Beargrease with a carbon fork, hydro brakes, 120tpi 45nrth tires, seems like one helluva deal. Again, just the same way an outrageously expensive EarthRoamer can be a good value if looking through the right lens.

To the OP: If this is primarily a winter bike, I would advocate a bike with 80mm rims or larger. The float quality between 50-65mm rims and 80-100mm rims is pretty significant.

kmacafee

Adventurer
p nut - I don't know where you live but check Craigslist -- there are often pretty good deals there. Buy a complete bike vs trying to build one on your own -- way cheaper. The Surly Pugsley has changed a lot over the years and is now a really nice bike. Check out the Ice Cream Truck as well. And Surly is currently offering $150 off a complete bike with this coupon:

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/surly_superfan_coupon

Good luck.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Ice Cream Truck has been getting loads of accolades this year.

One minor consideration for me was the fact that every ride I do has scads of big climbs. We average 1,000 feet of gain per 6-8 miles. So...Beargrease it was for my winter romps. Should be here tomorrow, maybe monday. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

p nut

butter
Thanks much for the inputs. The reason why I want to stick with Surly/Salsa is the same reason I buy Revelate bags, Patagonia clothing, MSR stoves, etc. They've all been proven in the field, and most importantly, I don't have to worry about whether the company will be around next year if my frame cracks or I've got other issues. The Customer support at Surly and Salsa have been top notch over the years and I don't expect that to change (this is where the extra premium on their bikes comes from). Always a big risk with these new players in the scene, especially when this fat fad eventually goes away. Ok, off the soap box.

Reading through the 9 million Pug vs Mukluk articles/threads, it seems that I actually have it backwards. Most are saying the Pug rides more like a mountain bike and Muk is the tourer. Which makes sense when I look at the WB, BB drop, and CSL (Muk is longer and lower). I've got a demo this weekend, so will test out the Pug. Trying to get my hands on a Muk to ride as well.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Pnut,
I think the Muk would be better for you in the long run and with the sliding rear dropouts you can bring in the rear wheel for a better climbing, or stretch it out for the big 4.6s or 29+ touring. That is the one thing I wish my Fatback had. The new fork lets you upgrade to a Bluto without rebuilding the wheel.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I love my Beargrease...It has taken over primary duty as my winter crud/mud/cold weather training tool from my cross bike...

I do have an itch for the new ti mukluk though and I keep thinking about selling the Beargrease to fund a new fatty...

Main problem I have run into is while trying to fit a bluto fork to my medium frame (told the small frame is the same), the fork/headset needs spacers so the fork crown doesn't hit the downtube...I have put off this addition until I know if I am going to keep the bike...

p nut

butter
New contender. Blackborrow DS (Dinglespeed). I was planning on an IGH down the line anyway. Meanwhile, I can deal with the Dingle (I'm a SS-er anyway), or a 1x10 set up would be pretty easy.

wayoutwest

Blackborrow would be very nice, only a little outside your planned 2K...unless you have access to QBP.

Which ones have you had a chance to ride?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier