1st Gen Brake Upgrade?

photoman

Explorer
So with adding bumpers, sliders, and roof top tent who has upgraded the brakes on their 1st Gen Tundra and what route did you go?

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
He means 1st gen tundra! Best thing to do is the 231mm rotor upgrade from the 2003+ tundras and calipers of those years. Pretty simple, I was about to do it on mine. You'll have to trim the brake dust shield to fit the larger caliper, other than that it's all bolt on. Rockauto.com has the calipers and rotors at a good price, some without a core charge.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I've done the upgrade listed above and it does help. Lately I've been looking at the StopTech kit though. It looks pretty nice. Wonder if it fits within the Ivan Stewart wheels.

p nut

butter
Before spending a ton of money on a whole new set up, try Brembo BLANK rotors (not drilled/slotted), and good quality pads (like Hawk LTS).

Loubaru

Adventurer
Before spending a ton of money on a whole new set up, try Brembo BLANK rotors (not drilled/slotted), and good quality pads (like Hawk LTS).

Agreed! Quality pads and rotors make a huge difference in braking performance.

Also, IMO 95% of slotted/drilled rotors are just for marketing/looks. You are reducing the mass of the rotor and also making it weaker and more prone to cracks w/ the stress risers. Unless its a track car there is no point for slotted/drilled rotors...and even with most track cars I don't see the point in drilled rotors.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
I went 231mm Centric calipers, PosiQuiet pads, and the upgraded rear drums...IIRC, I got ProStop shoes, too...) I didnt do rotors, since the PO had recently put new rotors on...Unfortunately, i do not know the brand, and they are dimpled...I was kinda bummed they were new(er), cuz i would have liked to have swapped them, but...

There was a TSB, IIRC, on the rear drums also...They ended up going with a thicker drum, as there were issues with rear vibration, also... I'm pretty sure I got the thicker drums, (they were definately thicker and heavier than the old ones), using this ProStop part number

3558G (or 207352) ... So just cross those numbers if you dont want the ProStops...

The Centric calipers obviously had the castings cleaned up, with some actual machining, and they had some kind of nice plating on them, not bare or painted castings...Their website helped sell me on them...The calipers and drums were beautiful, and they looked just like on the website. Plus, they do all the work, except casting, and base machining, here in the US...Thats more than Raybestos, Beck/Arnley, and most of the other brands do, theirs is all done overseas; China mostly...I did quite a bit of research surfing websites before settling on the Centrics brands...
http://www.centricparts.com/products/centric-premium-brake-rotors
http://www.centricparts.com/products/brake-drums
http://www.centricparts.com/products/e-coating
You could tell they did quite a bit of extra cosmetic machining, as well as a real nice job on the business side of them as well...Amazon, no core, IIRC, $65 ea...

Last edited:

TravelsWithRalph

Adventurer
I did the upgrade with 2006 parts. Definitely helped with stopping and eliminated the reoccurring rotor warp that the 2001's are noted for. The install was pretty straight forward. The dust shield needed trimming but that was no problem. Toyota's TSB on the upgrade calls for changing the dust shield but cutting it is faster and just as good. I forget where I found this parts list but here's a short list of OEM and some aftermarket Part Numbers I used for my shopping list:
Calipers: Toyota # (New Loaded) 477100C021 & 477299C021; Raybestos # (Reman. Loaded) RC11549 & RC11550; Raybestos # (Reman. Semi-loaded) FRC11549 & FRC11550
Pad set: Toyota # 0446535290; Raybestos # PGD976
Shim set: Toyota #0494535080
Brake lines: Toyota #473150C020 & #473180C020
Caliper mounting bolts: Toyota #9008010298 (x4)
Rotors: Toyota # NA; Brembo #0832821; Raybestos #96931

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94