Considering a G... Help me decide if and which

ILIAN

Adventurer
That's too much for a 15 year old car even if it's low mileage. I would say 35000 max for a lower mileage one unless you got too much money to care. I paid $25000 for mine with 120 000 miles and that was on the higher end as the car wasn't perfect. Even if all the maintenance was done by the book it will still need some repair work as preventative maintenance like oil seals and hoses, wheel bearings and cv boots etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott

What about a G 500 from 1999-2000?
Is it worth to pay about $45000 for it?

I see that as too much for the early 500s. About 30-35k max for a nice example.

When the economy tanked, all of these trucks were cheaper, but now, everything is back up. Even clean Europa G320s will fetch 30k.

It all depends on the condition. I still see these vehicles as a value. What can you buy new for 35k that is this awesome?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Thanks guys,
I agree it is too expansive, but the reason I was thinking about a 99-2000 model is that that version is much simple and does not have a complicated electricity and comes with a simple raw V8, at least that is what I have been told.
I am going to start building an overladen-expedition car, which allow me to visit remote parts of the US (including Alaska), Canada and Latin America. Thus, simplicity and reliability is crucial.
The current G looks overloaded with flashy and unnecessary items, which can go wrong in a rough situation.

What is your overall experience/opinion about a G overland?
I would much appreciate your voice.

P.S. one can buy almost new 4 door Jeep Rubicon with 35 K, which is not a bad car at all. :D

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks guys,
I agree it is too expansive, but the reason I was thinking about a 99-2000 model is that that version is much simple and does not have a complicated electricity and comes with a simple raw V8, at least that is what I have been told.
I am going to start building an overladen-expedition car, which allow me to visit remote parts of the US (including Alaska), Canada and Latin America. Thus, simplicity and reliability is crucial.
The current G looks overloaded with flashy and unnecessary items, which can go wrong in a rough situation.

What is your overall experience/opinion about a G overland?
I would much appreciate your voice.

P.S. one can buy almost new 4 door Jeep Rubicon with 35 K, which is not a bad car at all. :D

For what you want to do, find a 463 with the 3.2L straight six (or any diesel model 463). A 1996-1998 model is ideal. That motor was ubiquitous in Mercedes sedans imported to the US and exceptionally reliable. Just know that you are buying something closer in DNA to a tank than a car. It will be slow, expensive, thirsty and indestructible. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior