Considering a G... Help me decide if and which

WatchTimes

Hi
I have a 08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon which I just am not enjoying anymore.
I have really been debating getting a G to drive as a second car (still likely driving it 4 days a week or so)
Id love to just go buy a new G but that is just not in the budget at this time.
I want to spend under 30K, found a couple 300 GD's (4 doors as I need 4 door)
I was thinking of going diesel as I know the older MB diesels are like tanks but I from the little I have found so far
it sounds like I won't want to even try to get on a freeway with a G from the early/mid 80's? Will I be hard pressed to cruise at 75?
I see there are a few companies which import older G's into the US, is there a model which I should look into further or does a G not fit my wants and budget?

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I was thinking of going diesel as I know the older MB diesels are like tanks but I from the little I have found so far
it sounds like I won't want to even try to get on a freeway with a G from the early/mid 80's? Will I be hard pressed to cruise at 75?

Most definitely! Not only will you be "hard pressed", but you almost certainly will not.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Find a 463 Europa G wagon. It will be better in the long run. And you can cruise at 100 if you want to.

otiswesty

Regular guy
There is a Europa G500 for sale on the classifieds of clubgwagen.com for under $20K. It is a great deal, they only imported about 350 of these and don't come up for sale all the time. I have had a 300GD and greatly prefer the 463. Just as capable with freeway driveability (100MPH), same styling, quiet and comfortable, and more mechanically reliable.

ILIAN

Adventurer
I would run down there and grab that 99 G500 before it's gone. 150k miles isn't too much for that price.

Metric

That 99 G500 on CGW has some roof rust that should be very carefully considered. Seller seems to be a good guy though and I think original owner.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Roof is better than most other places since you can clean it up and respray it and if it's not perfect nobody can see it anyway. It sounds like tree branch scratches ignored for a long time. I had a 2 inch scratch on the roof of my G that was rusting and just took care of it.

Metric

It was explained to me that the roof was damaged at the docks while it was being unloaded during import. A repair was made but in recent yeas the paint has started bubbling.

If I had been on the west coast I would have checked it out in person and maybe been more comfortable about it but I didn't want to pull the trigger without seeing it in person.

Jsjk

I did the exact swap from an 08 jku to a g500. Though I have and still own a w460

In my opinion g500 is the way to go
Reliable engine, part are ready available.
The window regulators are 400 a piece for upgrade after market if the previous own hasn't already swapped them.and the electronic transfer case module is a $600 piece I recommend buying and keeping in your the car.

I own a gray market g500 which has les electronics, then the transfer case is fully manual, that is what I like about it what I don't like is that certain part are not as common and often mechanics will not work on them because "they like to stick to the books" but overall it the same truck but less electronics and beafier window regulators. Gray markets are also more water friendly since the fuse are moved up to the dash

ILIAN

Adventurer
If you are going to buy an aftermarket G500 get ready to fly out and see it in person. Chances are you are not going to find one close to you or find someone competent to look for the trouble spots. Do a lot of research and know what to look for when you inspect one.

otiswesty

Regular guy
You can get color matched Mercedes spray paint for pretty cheap.
I would be tempted to repair the roof with some sanding and a rattle coat if it wasn't too bad.

Scott Brady

Founder
I prefer the earlier 463s, particularly the turbo diesels and the 3.2L gas. They were built at the high water mark for MB quality and are far more serviceable and reliable than the newer trucks. They also have sufficient comfort and refinement for a daily driver. I have owned a ton of trucks and love mine. I drive it daily.

The other option would be as new and as low mileage of a G500 you can find/afford.

Best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94