Legs for Your Panels?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Some simple flat bar stock aluminum straps, sized to match the short ends of the panels, with a screw at the 'top' end so that the bar stock swings away from the panel to form a leg like an easel. Like an 'A'. Either size the leg so that when it is positioned vertically the panel is at the optimum angle for your general latitude, or affix some fine chain to the midpoint of both the short end of the panel and the bar stock such that extending the leg to make the chain taut also sets the proper panel angle. no muss no fuss, no unattached clutter, no stakes, etc etc etc. The leg is part of the panel and adds almost nothing to its dimensions. No extra stuff to pack or lose or step on and break.

eta I like verdesardog's idea as well, the protective flap as leg / easel. Like an iPad case. Or map board.

You could make a fabric carry case for your panels, like a roll-up tool pouch, with pockets for each panel, slide them in and fold it up in such a way all the glass faces are turned inward. Also takes hardly any extra room or weight.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I recently picked up two 100W panels and have been searching for a solution as well. The following video has some good ideas.

robgendreau

Explorer
I had a project I needed a couple of 48" clamps for, so got some at HF with a coupon: http://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-aluminum-bar-clamp-60540.html. Once finished with the project, didn't need 'em so decided to repurpose them by adding to my Grape Solar panel for a stand. Just bolted two on the aluminum of the panel, then a bolt through the fixed bars to make a pivot, and then another set of two clamps for legs. I used some chain to hold the legs, with a little carabiner so I could set the legs for more or less angle. Here's a pic, but it doesn't show it fully. The legs protrude a few inches below the panel which isn't a storage issue in my van. I thought I might wanna put rubber booties on 'em so I could place the panel on surfaces that I didn't wanna scratch, but I found I always mount it on the ground anyway. Note you have to slide off the clamp mechanisms. Turned out to be cheaper than buying similar aluminum at my normal metal provider.

IMG_1717.jpg

JKJenn

Adventurer
These are some great solutions. I will start to tinker with ideas a little more now tat warmer weather has finally arrived.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Well, I just ordered these folding legs. I believe they used to be sold at HF with their 15 and 45 watt panels. I will post the results. They are being shipped via Smartpost, so I don't expect them fir a while.

JKJenn

Adventurer
VwXA-G4sWs7sx67n6hVaS1Io1NISWgyWBfHvJVJDNvzs=w2160-h1215-no

JIzfmQZFwWhgi0kRT2w3-fmmNusFVs6oGBPwk0SJppBi=w2160-h1215-no

KbXPnv-xb7Otz24LhXH9IKQ1O1VqXdWT2gFyCM4TX6xw=w2160-h1215-no

laH634clzIqlWxHYPRWdBncGB9z56WCqmMJxv3oqn1KW=w2160-h1215-no

The legs arrived today. I was able to install them without drilling on the back of the GZ panels. They seem solid enough for my purposes. My plan is to secure them to the ground with stakes to help to keep the wind from blowing them over.

I would imagine there would be a way to connect them to your roof rack. I have been thinking about rigging them to my Gobi rack basked while driving to help charge my battery on my trailer so that I can run the fridge on battery while driving. MY JK doesn't put out enough juice to counter the battery drain.

* Edit: The legs would have to be modified to work on a roof rack as the adjustable part of the roof racks has no way, as is, to be secured when laying completely flat. I am not sure that I would use these legs for securing to a roof rack, though, as I think there is too much play where they connect using rivets. I think you would be better off with something designed for an RV roof or a custom design.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94