Legs for Your Panels?

JKJenn

Adventurer
Has anyone come up with a cheap, easy way to add legs to your panels? Solar Blvd has legs for sale, but they are not cheap. I must be using the wrong search terms for my web searches, because I come up with very little in terms of solar panel legs.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Do you have pictures of where you want to mount, and what you want to mount there?

Well, I am thinking like a standard portable set-up, so the panels can stand without leaning against anything. It makes sense to use the ore-drilled keyhole type slots on the sides, I think.

I am using Boulder 15 panels, but I think most rigid construction panels are similar.

B15_scale.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
Wow, those are tiny! Now, will this be mounted on your vehicle, or just set outside when stationary?

libarata

Expedition Leader
They are indeed! Do you know what I am talking about, when I speak of political sign holders that stick into the ground? Two of those, with the top ends bent into those pre-drilled mounts would be more than stable, and I am sure you could find a few. If they were larger, a small diameter PVC tube frame would work.

offero

Desert rat
If they're small and lightweight, you might just pick up some aluminum stock and just bolt a leg or two to either side so they're hinged.

JKJenn

Adventurer
If they're small and lightweight, you might just pick up some aluminum stock and just bolt a leg or two to either side so they're hinged.

I actually might have a coupling my basement. Definitely worth looking, thanks.

They are indeed! Do you know what I am talking about, when I speak of political sign holders that stick into the ground? Two of those, with the top ends bent into those pre-drilled mounts would be more than stable, and I am sure you could find a few. If they were larger, a small diameter PVC tube frame would work.

I had thought about the aluminum. Good call on the PVC, too. I could always use PVC and then rig something that connects panels to the PVC.

Thanks for your ideas.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Just make sure you show us what you end up with? I had though about some of these panels. I was just going to set them on a cooler or something.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Just make sure you show us what you end up with? I had though about some of these panels. I was just going to set them on a cooler or something.

Will do. I want to be able to anchor them so they don't knocked over by the wind.

verdesardog

Explorer
Here are a few photos of what I did with my panel. It is encapsulated in a clam shell design that protects it when in travel. It also allows it to be easily set up and tilted and moved to follow the sun as it moves in the sky. I attached it with a bolt into the threaded insert that was in the frame of the panel:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

How about using some decorative plate stands? You could always make one similar to the hinged one for a larger panel. And cheapo. Just an idea to Fab or Mod.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 252

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
That was my 7th grade 1st semester wood shop project. But glued instead of hinged. The second semester, I made one just like it but with three legs, and those hooks at both top and bottom instead of just on the bottom, and wired it up as a lamp.

Both right out of the shop teacher's project book.

attachment.php

And to the OP: The search term you are looking for is "portable solar panel stand".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94