CB antenna mount opinions

link30204

Observer
I going to put a CB antenna on my new truck. Thinking I want to mount it with a door mount bracket on the back of the truck. similar to the one in the picture.

Would it be better to go with a conventional firestick or a no ground plane antenna?

Attachments

• mnm.jpg
    mnm.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 39

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
While I can't really tell from the picture to me it looks like it's hard mounted to the body of the truck. If so then you'd want to use a regular antenna, better if you can find one that will be somewhat above the metal of the truck. You would not want to use a "no ground plane" antenna since the body of your truck is your ground plane. Try to find someone with an SWR meter and try to tune the antenna if possible.

4x4junkie

Explorer
×2 on the SWR meter. They can be had for maybe $15-20 or so, a good investment even if you just use it once (chances are good you'll find a use for it again in the future, maybe relocating your antenna to another part of your vehicle, or if an issue comes up with it, you'll have a tool on hand for diagnostics if needed).

Also agreed, the antenna should be up as high on the vehicle as possible (roof would be ideal, but mounting it to the front, side, or rear of a large metal roof rack can work real good too). Hood-lip or front fender mounts are other options that are generally fine if ~60% or more of the antenna is clear of the roof (same also goes for bedrail or bedside mounts). Try to avoid bumper mounts or other low-mounted positions at all costs.

I swear by the 5.5' CB-26 Francis whip antenna. Taller, yet thinner and much lighter weight than a Firestik and puts out a better signal IME.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
x3 to both tuning the antenna, and avoiding the "no ground plane" antenna, and putting it as high as you can. If you used the mount in the picture, but put the mount just above instead of below the tail light, and the cap is fiberglass, it wouldn't work half bad, I don't think. Longer and higher is better. Make sure the coax shield/antenna mount is grounded to the truck at the mount.

Also, if you can find a ham that has an antenna meter, they can help tune your antenna in just a few seconds. SWR meter works fine, but something like an MFJ-259 is easier and faster. Not worth buying one to just tune 1 antenna, though.

ghutch

Observer
Mag mount Wilson 1000 cheap, works well, can be taken off easy....or drill the hole and mount a Wilson 1-5000 in the roof. ...radio antennas all need similar grounding etc. check out K0BG.COM might be overkill but you'll get some good ideas on mounting schemes. Good luck

link30204

Observer
Thanks for the responses.

The antenna will mount on a door bracket mounted to the jamb of the rear fender/tailgate.

http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-SS-2...d=1421415637&sr=8-3&keywords=cb+antenna+mount

Truck will have a cap (on order) . 5 ft tall antenna (what im planning but not ordered) will extend above the shell but not by much. Garage clearance issues.

Mag mount could be a consideration if its a better performer, but permanent mount would be a better option, but cant go higher if permanent.

Its been 25 years since I have had a CB, so way out of the loop.

So since its mounted to metal the no-ground plane antenna is a bad Idea correct?

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Drill a hole in the side using a strong mount like a Breedlove (Google them). Then wire antenna up. Fire stick it whip will do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Problem with mag mounts are trees and winds. Both knock antennas off.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Problem with mag mounts are trees and winds. Both knock antennas off.

Those shouldn't bother either of these mounts. :)

http://www.walcottradio.com/gw3501c-chrome-triple-magnet-mount-p-294.html
http://www.walcottradio.com/quad-magnet-antenna-mount-for-cb-antennas-p-2506.html

I have the triple mount on the roof of mine (using the Francis whip I posted above and a spring). It's never once budged from an overhead tree branch (roof on mine is about 6½ tall). These mounts are not exactly "easy" to take off though, so might not be practical option if your intention was to remove it every time you pull into a garage (of course you could still use a quick-disconnect or fold-down type mount on the antenna though).

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Those shouldn't bother either of these mounts. :)

http://www.walcottradio.com/gw3501c-chrome-triple-magnet-mount-p-294.html
http://www.walcottradio.com/quad-magnet-antenna-mount-for-cb-antennas-p-2506.html

I have the triple mount on the roof of mine (using the Francis whip I posted above and a spring). It's never once budged from an overhead tree branch (roof on mine is about 6½ tall). These mounts are not exactly "easy" to take off though, so might not be practical option if your intention was to remove it every time you pull into a garage (of course you could still use a quick-disconnect or fold-down type mount on the antenna though).

Cheaper, easier and safer to use a proper mount. Antenna works much better to boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Explorer
Cheaper, easier and safer to use a proper mount. Antenna works much better to boot.

"Cheaper" is the only one of those I can agree with (and both are also quite very "proper" too). But to each his own.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
A mag mount provides no ground for the antenna. That means you have only half the antenna. The car is the other half.

With a magmount you look at damage to your vehicle and, as it flies off, too someone else's. Having had small vhf/uhf antennas on magmounts intended for fire sticks fly off on the Jersey Turnpike. I learned that the hard way. Gets pricey.

4x4junkie

Explorer
A magnet mount capacitively couples the antenna's RF ground current into the car body, it does not need an actual (DC) connection to reach ground (if what you said were true, your radio would transmit a signal barely a quarter-mile, and it's final output would eventually burn up due to infinite SWR).

It's also apparent you are not familiar with the antenna mounts I posted links to. It is FAR more likely that the threaded end (stud) of your antenna will be busted off than the whole mount come detached from the vehicle in the event something large struck against it (I know, I ruined one once trying to remove the mount, I now know you have to pry up underneath the mount's crossbar to remove it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior