Canadian Disco 2 Build

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover said:
..... This isn't overlanding. This is ruining good equipment for no good reason......

I think I just saw pigs fly! Jim, did you actually call a coil sprung Landy what I think you did????:elkgrin:

AlexJet

Explorer
So do you remember a guy named Bryce from Saturday? Yellow TJ Rubicon "Extreme" (if that's the name, the long wheelbase 2-door). If you are the guy I'm thinking of, I think you and him talked.

Anyway, I'm getting a small list of like-minded guys from the Toronto area. We should try to get together sometime. I'd love to get some trails in before the snow comes deep. I also know a couple good guys with JK's.

Yes, I think it was me. He used to have yellow YJ. TJ was just finished on Friday night at Rock Spider and he didn't even had time to paint the roll cage.
I'd love to get somewhere out. Me and my friend on yellow FJ are more to adventure style off-roading then to spend full day on 2km rocky course. We like to explore things and have nice trail runs.
Where do you live? I'm in Vaughan (Dufferin and Hwy 407)

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I think I just saw pigs fly! Jim, did you actually call a coil sprung Landy what I think you did????:elkgrin:

If they're to have half a chance at all you can't submerge them up to the shift lever. No, they may not be my favorite vehicle but jeeze, give 'em a chance.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Why you guys do this with your trucks is beyond me. This isn't overlanding. This is ruining good equipment for no good reason. For what? I just don't get it. No mater what you see in magazines, advertisements and forum boards, and no mater what you think your truck is capable of, (even with your snorkel), you shouldn't be doing this with your truck. A modern, computer controlled, carpeted truck is not made to be stuck in three feet of water....no mater what the salesman at the dealership told you.

I know it's not overlanding. That is "wheeling". I do it occasionally for the fun of it, and to gain practice and learn what the truck is capable of. You're right, I wouldn't do that if I was far from home and/or alone. But, 2 hours from home with 10 other guys...

As for the technical aspects. Did you read about what happened, and how it was dealt with? Yes, a computer got wet, and guess what, it actually wasn't a big deal. Why? Because I know how to deal with that, instead of just being afraid of computers and throwing up my hands in despair. I'll be potting my computers this winter to make sure I have no trouble in the future.

Lastly, as I've said several times before, you pretty much can't go anywhere around here without getting wet. Just a fact of life of up here in the Canadian Shield country. You have to deal with it.

Now this guy... this was kinda ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d7wTgtz2p0

Roverhound

Adventurer
dont kid yourself...you look just as ridiculous as that guy.

You got lucky so far but in the end that little water crossing will come back and haunt your 04 Disco.

He can deal with the electronics but he can't rebuild a driveshaft?
You're pretty funny Rob.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That guy should get locked up. You wonder why the sport of "wheeling" gets a bad wrap. Messing around in a wetland like that? Unbelievable. :(

Actually, that is the actual road. That is the official hydro access corridor for a major line. I've never seen it actually dry... but the water level was particularly high at that time.

Same spot:

attachment.php

More of the same:

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdRuYkM3zyI

Attachments

• CIMG1528.jpg
    CIMG1528.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 297
  • sDSCF1519.JPG
    sDSCF1519.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
He can deal with the electronics but he can't rebuild a driveshaft?
You're pretty funny Rob.

Have you ever learned anything in your life? Or you just came out of the womb omniscient? No need to answer, it's a rhetorical question.

So, other than rebuilding driveshafts... what have you ever done?

Design and build a suspension system?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ever weld up an all-aluminum Water-to-Air intercooler system, including a swirl pot?

attachment.php

How about a turbo exhaust manifold, from scratch?

attachment.php

Ever install a stand alone engine management system, and tune a 130hp economy car engine to make 240hp, reliably on track, without touching the internals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0R1JgGKyA

Yeah, I'm new to trucks. But I bring knowlege from other experiences. So I've never rebuilt a driveshaft before, bit ************* deal. I learn fast once I set about to do something. All of these things were my first attempt, and very successful.

What have you ever done, other than wag your barbed tongue?

Attachments

• camber_plate.jpg
    camber_plate.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 294
  • focus_strut_tower.jpg
    focus_strut_tower.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Suspension 004.jpg
    Suspension 004.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Chatham Show 2005 021.jpg
    Chatham Show 2005 021.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 411
  • sIMG_20080402_0619.JPG
    sIMG_20080402_0619.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
dont kid yourself...you look just as ridiculous as that guy.

You got lucky so far but in the end that little water crossing will come back and haunt your 04 Disco.

This is from 18 months ago:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So when can I expect the ghosts of Christmas past to come knocking?

As I've said Thom. Countless.

michaels

Explorer
stop being a bunch of crybaby ninnies and just get outside. who cares if you wheel through 10 feet deep water, or drive down a dirt road. it's all just semantics. do what makes you feel good at the end of the day, and get over the rest. sheesh.

sounds to me like musky and rob have a little crush on eachother. it's cute, really.

Roverhound

Adventurer
Have you ever learned anything in your life? Or you just came out of the womb omniscient? No need to answer, it's a rhetorical question.

So, other than rebuilding driveshafts... what have you ever done?

Design and build a suspension system?

Ever weld up an all-aluminum Water-to-Air intercooler system, including a swirl pot?

How about a turbo exhaust manifold, from scratch?

Ever install a stand alone engine management system, and tune a 130hp economy car engine to make 240hp, reliably on track, without touching the internals?

Yeah, I'm new to trucks. But I bring knowlege from other experiences. So I've never rebuilt a driveshaft before, bit ************* deal. I learn fast once I set about to do something. All of these things were my first attempt, and very successful.

What have you ever done, other than wag your barbed tongue?

You see Rob, you say all this stuff but I simply don't believe you. No need to respond, this is a rhetorical answer.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Oh, you don't believe me. I just fabricated the whole thing. Your position is easy to state, not so easy to hold. I challenge you then, because I want to prove to anyone who might have any doubts about your character.

What documentary evidence do you want to prove my assertions? Put up, or shut up. Come up with something reasonable that can be proven, or you will demonstrate your character flaw.

Would taking a picture of the engine bay with a placard stating "Walter Dent is narcisistic" suffice? How much on-track video evidence do you want? I have lots more, of what is clearly a Focus, hustling around a track.

muskyman

Explorer
Rob

See the problem is all the stuff you say and claim dont really add up.

You have posted about all the different companies you have worked for as a engineer yet there have been so many that it seems like you would have to have been with each a very short time. Then you claim huge amounts of developement and deep involvment with very different forms of complex engineering fields.

Then you take your personal stuff and you display your works yet ask questions that make it sounds like you cant figure simple things out by just looking at them. Even if you have never done something like a u-joint with all your other claimed experience Iwould think you could sort it out in short order.

This is why Walter is calling you out I think, you have to be able to see this in some way I would guess?

This is in no way a personal attack, just a observation from reading your posts the last few years here and on Dweb.

Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles