solar system to battery with nothing else

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Im trying to figure out if i can safely clamp my solar set up right to the car battery. would i need to disconnect the solar system before starting the vehicle. i dont see why it would matter but i just dont know if the battery would back feed into the solar side the fry the controller.

i currently have a solarblvd folding 160w system

4x4junkie

Explorer
Should be fine.

Any well-designed controller should simply see the alternator as another charging source coming online, and will simply turn itself off or suspend charging.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
awesome thank you. should make it the wiring side of getting my solar set up taken care off easily

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The charge controller won't see anything except the battery voltage rising. They aren't smart enough to detect anything except that. When the battery voltage gets to whatever the charge controller set point is programmed to, the charge controller will stop charging.

But you can connect it up no problem.

Feedback from the alternator to the charge controller is a non-issue...the charge controller protects itself from the battery, which is capable of dumping a lot more amps than an alternator can. And using the starter won't suddenly increase the draw on the charge controller beyond whatever amps the charge controller is rated to pass through from the solar.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
The charge controller won't see anything except the battery voltage rising. They aren't smart enough to detect anything except that. When the battery voltage gets to whatever the charge controller set point is programmed to, the charge controller will stop charging.

But you can connect it up no problem.

Feedback from the alternator to the charge controller is a non-issue...the charge controller protects itself from the battery, which is capable of dumping a lot more amps than an alternator can. And using the starter won't suddenly increase the draw on the charge controller beyond whatever amps the charge controller is rated to pass through from the solar.

nice, thank you for reassuring me that it is safe.
i was thinking of running an independent (house) battery just for solar only but i dont want to run dual battery since i dont do many extended trips each year. figure i just get one really good battery and call it done and wired to the solar system for the extended trips

verdesardog

Explorer
Where is your solar panel going to be? I would just have an easily accessed connector to connect the solar when stopped.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
nice, thank you for reassuring me that it is safe.
i was thinking of running an independent (house) battery just for solar only but i dont want to run dual battery since i dont do many extended trips each year. figure i just get one really good battery and call it done and wired to the solar system for the extended trips

Yea, a second battery for solar only won't be good unless you have a large solar array. Better to rig it so it can charge either from solar or alternator.

Doing it the way you are, get a voltage meter for the battery so you make sure you don't take it so far down it won't start the truck. And carry a jump start pack just in case.

It's all good.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Where is your solar panel going to be? I would just have an easily accessed connector to connect the solar when stopped.

only the roof. i rather just leave it wired and have it top of battery as needed whenever i stop

Yea, a second battery for solar only won't be good unless you have a large solar array. Better to rig it so it can charge either from solar or alternator.

Doing it the way you are, get a voltage meter for the battery so you make sure you don't take it so far down it won't start the truck. And carry a jump start pack just in case.

It's all good.

im not worry about running the battery till dead. i carry a jump pack anyways. i know its not good to run the battery low all the time but i figure its covered for 7 years, might as well give the battery a good work out. btw i will be running a Die Hard Platinum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke