Tacoma aluminum Pop-up

pacer

Observer
I've been checking out every contractor bed cap I see on the road these days and I dont even own a pickup :D
There are some awesome candidates out there!
Inspiring build, thanks for posting your work.

miniorf

Back to reality.... After spending almost 3 months and 10,000 miles in the truck its time to get back to work.

I spent most of that time chasing snow in the rockies. A bit ironic considering what an epic year the east had back home, but wouldn't trade this trip for anything. There were plenty of -10 degree F nights but I managed to stay pretty comfortable. Id set the thermostat to 45 degrees and it would only fire up very 30 mins or so, running for 10 mins or so. I could go a lil over a week between propane fill ups.

The majority of my time I found my self around Jackson WY. Scenery was amazing, people were great and the snow was unbelievable, at times. Linked up with some folks who knew the area well to show me around. Im blown away by the terrain that place has to offer!

Durring a long long warm high pressure system to hoofed it out to Crater lake and then to the most North Western tip of the Olympic Peninsula in WA. On my way back I spent a few days around MOAB and Canyonlands. The White Rim Trail is now High on the To Do list.

Here are a few pictures from along the way.

IMG_7814.JPG

IMG_7846.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7967.JPG

IMG_8283.JPG

IMG_8345.JPG

IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8613.JPG

IMG_8760.JPG

Thanks for all your support and encouragement

Up next, when I can find the time is finally finishing the interior. Id like to use some natural, light colored, breadboard paneling. Hoping that will make it a bit more homely.

Last edited:
Can you tell us a little more about your hinges? Now that you have a lot of use in the camper do you find they are what you were looking for? I understand these types of hinges can be notoriously finicky but since you have made your own more robust version (then what appears to be available) are you happy with them? Any changed you would have made? do they rock side to side at all?

Good work by the way

miniorf

Hey thanks lx450, I've been really happy with the hinges. They are really quite stable laterally. I think mine only complaint is that they are alil heavy in my opinion. Im sure there is room to trim some fat so to speak.

miniorf

several of the arms in the hinge are doubled up, for rigidity. I would be nice tho do away with this redundancy and make them a bit narrower too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior