Diesel in the US

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
It's an idea that happened to coincide with the cheapest fuel in a long time... but I am very happy that LR is doing this.

uzj100

Adventurer
Very excited about this. Hope Toyota follows.

The next defender could be very interesting depending on price point. 30 to 40k with diesel, 2 door convertible, 4 door wagon and 2 and 4 door pickups. Manual or automatic. (You have to dream right.). They could open up a whole new segment for themselves in NA.

Steve UK

Adventurer
I love diesel power and it really suits Landrovers and othe 4x4, but some how I think their time is limited.

Their emmissions are quite bad, and to get them somewhat cleaner their capacity is ever shrinking with higher boost and injector pressure and more complicated engines. They can be a real liability when going wrong which being such highly stressed complicated engines they do.

We have 2, my TD5 and the wife's 2.2 Euro6 Freelander with DPF etc.

I chose my pre cat year 2000 TD5 as I believe this to be a good balance of technology and old school large capacity diesel. For now the Freelander seems quite robust, as for future cleaner diesels I don't know.

Diesels here in the UK are slowly being earmarked as antisocial, this article is from a sensationalist newspaper but there is no smoke without fire. Diesel is not the future. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...car-drivers-extra-100-park-outside-homes.html

Get your old school diesel while you can.

roverandom

Adventurer
Check out any new 6.7L Ford F350 Diesel.
Sadly, large or small, that is the future of all diesel powered vehicles in North America.
Two cooling systems, four thermostats, Urea injection (that freezes), DPF ( that's a $5,000 filter, don't cut it off) that recycle by burning fuel, injectors that push 29,000psi, zero tollerance for dirt, variable vane turbo, computers up the ying yang, lots of plastic and elaborate ducting, underwhelming MPG, all squeezed into a area so small a mouse would have a hard time working on it. Then you need to pay a premium for the diesel engine and continue paying a premium for diesel fuel every time you are at the pump. I'm not sure I want one any more? I think I will just hang on to my 300TDI D1.

The days of the simple, fuel effeicent diesel have passed into history along side leaf springs, carbs and distributors.

Not all "progress" is a step forward.

GREENI

Adventurer
Steve, how's the FL2 going for you? The missus was looking at an HSE the other day and we might go look at one today. She runs a Scirocco GT at the mo, though she wants something bigger.

I prefer the td5, I had the option between this and a Puma, the td5 won!
The 90 I just bought though is a good old fashioned 3.5efi V8!

Steve UK

Adventurer
Steve, how's the FL2 going for you? The missus was looking at an HSE the other day and we might go look at one today. She runs a Scirocco GT at the mo, though she wants something bigger.

I prefer the td5, I had the option between this and a Puma, the td5 won!
The 90 I just bought though is a good old fashioned 3.5efi V8!

Hi Greeni,

Contrary to my thoughts on modern diesel I like it for now.

We have a 2011 S model which we paid £15k for a year ago, tinted windows, leather and satnav. Being canbus upgrades are easy, a cheap set of Rangerover sport steering wheel switches and switch in the ECU we now have cruise control too.

Back to the Diesel engine, try and get the face lift. The DPF filter has been no trouble, and the facelift has the plastic tumble flaps remove (these have been known to break and get swallowed) early ones have had camshaft breakage problems.

Also facelift is cheaper tax due to the DPF.

It's a good car, our little girl arriving in May forced our hand for a bigger car. The only problem we have had is the drivers central lock switch going kaput. £80 and 1 hour to fix. It needed new tyres so a full set of new Evouqe 18" wheels were found for £500 which look ace. I regret not holding out for an auto.

Steve

Steve UK

Adventurer
Check out any new 6.7L Ford F350 Diesel.
Sadly, large or small, that is the future of all diesel powered vehicles in North America.
Two cooling systems, four thermostats, Urea injection (that freezes), DPF ( that's a $5,000 filter, don't cut it off) that recycle by burning fuel, injectors that push 29,000psi, zero tollerance for dirt, variable vane turbo, computers up the ying yang, lots of plastic and elaborate ducting, underwhelming MPG, all squeezed into a area so small a mouse would have a hard time working on it. Then you need to pay a premium for the diesel engine and continue paying a premium for diesel fuel every time you are at the pump. I'm not sure I want one any more? I think I will just hang on to my 300TDI D1.

The days of the simple, fuel effeicent diesel have passed into history along side leaf springs, carbs and distributors.

Not all "progress" is a step forward.

Hello,

Yes, your certainly going to need deep pockets to maintain these new breed of diesels. Interestingly petrol engine efficiency is making inroads into diesel efficiency. Highly boosted smaller capacity engines have good torque and efficiency, how long these will last in a large 4x4 we can only guess.

newhue

Adventurer
I love diesel power and it really suits Landrovers and othe 4x4, but some how I think their time is limited.

Their emmissions are quite bad, and to get them somewhat cleaner their capacity is ever shrinking with higher boost and injector pressure and more complicated engines. They can be a real liability when going wrong which being such highly stressed complicated engines they do.

We have 2, my TD5 and the wife's 2.2 Euro6 Freelander with DPF etc.

I chose my pre cat year 2000 TD5 as I believe this to be a good balance of technology and old school large capacity diesel. For now the Freelander seems quite robust, as for future cleaner diesels I don't know.

Diesels here in the UK are slowly being earmarked as antisocial, this article is from a sensationalist newspaper but there is no smoke without fire. Diesel is not the future. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...car-drivers-extra-100-park-outside-homes.html

Get your old school diesel while you can.

That would be just the council taking an easy cash grab wouldn't it, the flavour of the day to extract more funds for themselves. Imagine if the council said we'll plant 100 trees in the area for every one of the 9000 diesel cars. Probably sold off all the available public land to developers so that's no option for them.
I struggle to see how a modern diesel is dirtier than a petrol. It wasn't that long ago they were the way of future and this petrols were no good. I'm no scientist and don't keep up to date with it but my EU5 was outdated in 2 years with EU6 so I'm not playing that game.
When a modern Kenworth truck uses 1lt per Km, or an ocean going ship 4lt per meter, no idea what a passenger plane uses, I don't think we can be the bigger part of the problem. If there is a problem. Down here the professional weather people cant even predict what day it's going to rain even if it's the next, so I struggle with the global warming thing.

Still my EU5 Tdci doesn't smell anything like my EU3 Tdi. Goes a whole lot better, and cost a whole lot more if something goes wrong. Is it marketing, is it reality, I'm not sure if any of us consumer plebs will ever know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94