GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

iridewheelies

Adventurer
One thing I really wanted in my van but didn't get was the outside temperature displayed in the Driver info center (DIC) on the instrument cluster. It was only a $5 option when building a van on the website so it must be either a sensor or a software setting.

My van has the cold weather package which seems to consist only of a plug-in block heater with the 115v cord.

I was going to ask the dealer but haven't had a chance yet.

Does anyone know how to get the temp to display?

Pest

Adventurer
Hmm. I wonder how much the sensor and flashing would cost in total?

I too have been wanting a temperature display recently and don't have the option. So instead, a few days ago I just ordered a wireless thermo-hygrometer with 2 remote sensors. The display, mounted on the headliner, will measure cab temperature and humidity, 1 remote sensor will be placed outside somewhere, and the other remote sensor will be placed in the back cargo area.

It's not perfect, but we'll get the benefit of humidity readings, and be able to see exactly how effective our insulation is, comparing outside vs cab vs cargo area temperatures.

Picked this up: http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Edit: Just saw the price of the sensor, $13. The mounting bracket may or may not be needed (or already present even without the option), which is $35. If the flashing isn't free, I think I might still just go with my home brew solution.

Accrete

Explorer
Thought this tid bit of info was in context to any who are wondering just how much you can _stuff_ into a Chevy Express 1500 AWD conversion :)

AWDloaded7100lbs.jpg

Just made a trip to the local scales with the rig fully loaded. The scales show 7100lbs which is 200 lbs under the van's GVWR. This is the first official full-load trip to the scales after the Aluminess bumpers/boxes were installed. We also upgraded the tires from P rated stock to E rated and run at a comfortable 50psi about three years ago. There is no butt sag and the rig drives like it is on rails.

; ) The only bad news is my wife realized she could only bring ~200 lbs of prospecting gear.

accreteChevyAWDcurrent.jpg

Thom

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Your new Aluminess bumpers look great! I'd love to see more photos of the rear swing outs and boxes. I'd like some for my van.

Accrete

Explorer
...I'd love to see more photos of the rear swing outs and boxes...
THX : )
I'm going to get some detailed photos of the boxes up in the next couple weeks. Cari spent a couple hours doodling/organizing with different setups. Next week we are meeting up with about 40 or so peeps and will give the setup a good rundown.

I also met with the local fabricator today for the awning mount i'm having him build for us. Basically it will be a single horizontal tube just shy of the width of fiberglass roof that will match the diameter/finish of the rear bumper's uprights. It will be mounted to the fiberglass top at the identical locations the original Fiamma F45 awning was. Pictures to follow once mounted in May.

Thom

North

Observer
Anybody have experience removing the rear HVAC unit from one of the these vans? Are any of the components integrated into the bodywork, or can it all be removed completely?

Bumping this question of mine. Has anybody removed the rear unit either themselves or with the help of a professional? Any idea of the cost and complexity?

Drsuzuki06

I am looking for a single rear seat for a savana / express so I can haul three any suggestions . it must have seat belts and swivel if possible. In Western Canada would be nice.

4Fox

Observer
Haven't removed it but I did pull off paneling to insulate my van. It doesn't look like its too difficult to rip out. removing the jack mount on the passenger side was more complicated I'm guessing.

Bumping this question of mine. Has anybody removed the rear unit either themselves or with the help of a professional? Any idea of the cost and complexity?

North

Observer
Haven't removed it but I did pull off paneling to insulate my van. It doesn't look like its too difficult to rip out. removing the jack mount on the passenger side was more complicated I'm guessing.

I unit itself shouldn't be too hard to remove. Putting in a U for the heater lines should also be simple. I'm less confident about the A/C. I'd like the front A/C to be fully operational, and am not sure how removing the components from the back will affect it. Mostly wondering if cut & cap will leave front A/C functional or not.

drsmonkey

Observer
I've looked at removing the rear unit from a 1 ton EB passenger that got converted to cargo use at work. Ended up leaving it, but had a plan to pull it.

I have a fleet of those vans, and the rear AC lines always get holes and leak eventually. I was going to plug both the AC lines at the compressor, and the heater lines at the diverter up front near the heater core to avoid any leaks in the hoses running aft later. It was a while ago, but I don't remember it looking to hard to do.

Google how to replace those lines to figure out exactly where you can plug them up front, they leak enough that there are a bunch of instructions out there.

Accrete

Explorer
This thread has such useful info in it! I just reread from beginning and wanted to send Kudos to those who've done so much research and shared here.

One thing I thought i'd share for any who may go with Aluminess Bumpers that I forgot to mention in the prior post listing our rig's "7100lbs" at scales...
We weighed our 1500 AWD conversion on the way to VS and then upon return (both times with full tanks). It appears, in our case, there is a difference of ~80 pounds more than stock. YMMV

For my wife and I this is a doable trade for the amount of functionality we will gain. For one thing we will no longer have the chuck box & table (needed to support box). That will save space under the platform bed and a few minutes less to set/break camp. My wife is enjoying the simplicity of the swinging galley box on curb/camp side.

AWDcurrent.jpg

: ) Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz