Inverter recommendation

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I'm looking for an inverter for my 4Runner. On my last rig i just had a cheap inverter from auto zone and it worked fine most of the time but I'd really like to get a better quality inverter this time and have it last. Any recommendations on brands or wattage rating? We will be running various things out of it and just want a solid point for power for whatever we need. I have an aux batter also so that's what it will be connected too.

Any ideas? Or even just a good brand to look at?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
i have a xantrex 1000w sine wave. Its a little large for most things but its nice having clean power for anything i need. we had a power outage last week and I ran an extension cord into the house and ran the coffee maker and toaster off the inverter.

I also like using heated blankets when camping and you need a sine wave for that.

The low power inver field does not have many good quality brands so it makes it hard.

here is my 1000w

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-806-1...inverter&pebp=1421463330650&peasin=B002I04A74

Here is a 600w version if you dont need 1000w and want to save some money

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-806-1...=xantrex&pebp=1421463575762&peasin=B002O5P8BA

Morning star makes an amazing 300w sine wave but its expensive and does not have plugs, its mainly for rv's

zelatore

Explorer
Xantrex makes a fine inverter - I've installed many of them on boats, but never anything under 1800w as that's pretty much what I consider a minimum.

In my work van I have a cheap 1000w Kisae inverter running off a dedicated group 31 Lifeline battery. It really doesn't get used for much beyond keeping my cordless tool batteries charged, but I can say it's been on nearly continuously now for about 9 months with no issues.

wirenut

Adventurer
"Various things" doesn't say much. If you're only running small electronics and recharging a laptop or something the best small inverter out there is the Morningstar 300W. If you want to run some bigger things I'd go for 1,000 watts minimum. However, for not much more money you can get an 1,800 watt which will run any appliance you can plug in. I would only get pure sine unit; that way you know it won't damage any electronics, overheat any motors, or cause any audio interference. Xantrex, Samlex, and Magnum all make excellent products.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Yea various things is kind of vague. Mainly keeping things charged, phones, laptops, tools, etc.. We also want the ability to use heated blankets and maybe some kind of electric heater. I'm thinking I'd like to go with atleast a 1000w.

Last edited:

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a GoPower 1500w pure sine wave inverter. Not cheap and probably more than I need, but works well and delivers clean power when I do need it.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Most things work fine on modified square wave. A few things don't. Some battery tool chargers won't. Laptop power bricks work fine. A resistance heater will work fine. No idea why an electric blanket, which is a resistance heater, would require sine wave.

Keep in mind that a 1200w inverter running at full load will draw 100 amps from your battery. Per hour.

Samlex is a good brand too.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I don't think I would be running full load for very long but I want the output incase I need it for somethig later. I'd rather spend the money now and get something that will last and put out everything we need

CaliMobber

Adventurer
No idea why an electric blanket, which is a resistance heater, would require sine wave.

It has to do with the controllers, I think the extremely basic ones with high/low/off work but most have timers to auto shut off for safty and are actually kinda smart.

I thought I would try it anyways back when I had a modified sine wave and picked up a simply heated blanket from walmart. It lasted like 3hrs before the remote melted inside and stopped working.

Cyberman

Observer
I have installed several Xantrex inverters in our fleet at work. We require pure sine wave because of the sensitive medical equipment that is used (x-ray scanners). They work great. Besides its normal use, we've run 1/2" drills and even a portable x-ray machine off one. They also sell a remote switch that allows you to control the unit up to 25 feet away. Will be putting one in my trailer.

wirenut

Adventurer
If your using any Apple computers be sure to get a pure sine unit. One of my employees plugged his apple laptop into my MSW inverter despite my warning not too. He had to buy a new laptop. I have an off grid customer who destroyed the electronics in two gas ranges at his cabin by connecting them to a MSW inverter. After the second one they figured out not to do that again.
I'd forget about the electric heater powered by an inverter. The size battery bank you would need to make that worth while would be huge, heavy, and expensive. A 1,500 watt heater would draw nearly 150 amps at 12v. A massive 8D battery probably wouldn't even run that for 1 hour.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Thinking I'm going to go with tha xantrex based on what everyone has been saying and the other stuff I've read. They seem to be the kind of quality I want and not too insanly for expensive. The biggest thing is they are a solid legit company, not a Chinese knockoff of some other brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior