SHTF and it did.

J

JWP58

If you seriously ever believed that Police are going to be your personal security at all times, you've been living in fairy tale land....maybe Gotham?

So maybe you should complain about the City for not hiring more Officers? Not lash out at the folks that ARE at work and trying to do their job. But alas, this is the avg. response from most ignorant people. Lash out at the most visible entity involved in the situation, the cashier, the construction worker, the police man, etc. NOT the folks running the show.....it makes sense. Funny thing is you actually made my case for me, their response time is "unsat", but if the guys on the street are doing what they can with what they have, is it their fault????? Probably not, but that doesn't keep you from bitching about them and only them in your original post.

Smooth move.

Ray_G

Explorer
Glad you and your family are safe.

The police response time and such reminds me of both the standard 'minutes away when seconds count' adage as well as the reality that police aren't there to protect much of the time...they are there to clean up the mess afterward. Mind you I have a tremendous amount of respect for the thin blue line, but am also very much a realist when it comes to capabilities and limitations.
S/F
Ray

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
well said ray. frank as far as a police report not being available, i believe that to be them blowing smoke. the initial report is public record. i may take 3-5 business days for it to go through the approval process. the case file in there is one the would not be available. now not being a complainant or victim or offender in the report may make have to pay to get it or file and open records request, but that report should available.

being in law enforcement i can tell you that organizations dealing in drugs prostitution and gambling have over recent years been finding or even buying under third parties properties in quiet subdivisions in metro and rural areas for conducting the activity.

i am glad your family is ok and wish you would've had a more satisfactory outcome. it really sucks.

Frank

Explorer
If you seriously ever believed that Police are going to be your personal security at all times, you've been living in fairy tale land....maybe Gotham?

So maybe you should complain about the City for not hiring more Officers? Not lash out at the folks that ARE at work and trying to do their job. But alas, this is the avg. response from most ignorant people. Lash out at the most visible entity involved in the situation, the cashier, the construction worker, the police man, etc. NOT the folks running the show.....it makes sense. Funny thing is you actually made my case for me, their response time is "unsat", but if the guys on the street are doing what they can with what they have, is it their fault????? Probably not, but that doesn't keep you from bitching about them and only them in your original post.

Smooth move.

Good morning, Sir :coffee:

Never once did I say that I depend on the local govt for protection. What I am pissed about is the fact that so much walked away from the scene in the 14+ min it took them to get there. And I have nothing but the up most respect for law enforcement. Most that I know in my city are former military and they continue to have that mindset. When in a position such as military or police, you are lead. Your troops are only as good as the leaders. Leaders make the calls and there is a rank structure for a reason. It isn't the officers fault this was a **** show, it was the leaders who control them and put the policies in place. The city itself isn't any different, and I said it just like that in my letter to the leaders of my city. And when I mentioned this to the leaders of the city, their response was that the place is led by the Union, not the city. It only goes as far as the negotiations allow. 19 patrolman on duty is simply poor leadership and lack of backbone to stand up to the Union at this point. I would hate to know what else went on while about 8 of them were at my house, leaving only a few others to patrol the entire city.

being in law enforcement i can tell you that organizations dealing in drugs prostitution and gambling have over recent years been finding or even buying under third parties properties in quiet subdivisions in metro and rural areas for conducting the activity.

i am glad your family is ok and wish you would've had a more satisfactory outcome. it really sucks.

I was directed to be in contact with the city attorney by my city councilman and he also informed me I could not get a report because the case was still an ongoing investigation and I was not considered involved with the incident. However....my neighbors lawyer somehow managed to make a quick phone call to find out what went on, but still didn't obtain an actual report. I believe what went on is exactly as you mentioned that you have been seeing in your area.

So the story goes, they were having a 'party' and a couple of folks were asked to leave. They were upset and returned with this stunt. (it's a drug or prostitution house)

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi there, 1st off I'm glad your family is well.
I'm so fortunate that I live in a place that this sort of incident is almost unheard of, I was wondering what a "wellness check" is as i've not heard the term before.

best wishes to you & yours.
Gren

J

JWP58

Hi there, 1st off I'm glad your family is well.
I'm so fortunate that I live in a place that this sort of incident is almost unheard of, I was wondering what a "wellness check" is as i've not heard the term before.

best wishes to you & yours.
Gren

Well you see in the States when an anonymous person wants to use Police as their own personal harassment tool, they call in "welfare checks". Basically they have an issue with something or someone, call dispatch and request a welfare check for whatever reason (it gets the po-po to show up to the location and at least bother the people that are the issue). OR someone is lazy, cant get ahold of their baby momma, third cousin, mom, dad, gardener, and calls for the Police to go check on them instead of doing it themselves.

With that said about 10% of welfare checks are actually legit, whether it be a case of child abuse, unattended death, or numerous other reasons.

kpredator

Adventurer
Welfare check

We live in a rural area in the Midwest, I was working out of town when I received a call from one of our
Neighbors . Sounded as he was in distress and sick. So I called the county sheriff department to do a welfare check
On the old guy. The response from the dispatch was sorry we have no deputies on duty tonite.
What a wake up call for me as often the wife is home by herself while I am out of town working.
Have since got with the other neighbors and made sure everyone had each other's phone numbers and talked
About helping each other during an emergency.

chet6.7

Explorer
FWIW,welfare checks can end up with less than optimal results,it may be a good idea to let someone know the police are coming.

[h=1]"NC Veteran Shot and Killed by Police Conducting Welfare Check"[/h]

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Tell dispatch your robbing the bank and see if they have anyone on duty. Its tough to believe they close down at night.
We live in a rural area in the Midwest, I was working out of town when I received a call from one of our
Neighbors . Sounded as he was in distress and sick. So I called the county sheriff department to do a welfare check
On the old guy. The response from the dispatch was sorry we have no deputies on duty tonite.
What a wake up call for me as often the wife is home by herself while I am out of town working.
Have since got with the other neighbors and made sure everyone had each other's phone numbers and talked
About helping each other during an emergency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles