SHTF and it did.

Frank

Explorer
SHTF....if you are unaware of what that means, it seems to be the internet acronym for $*** hit the fan.

I am posting this information based on a real-world situation, as this really happened. I'm not real sure if it is appropriate, but also feel that of all places to share my story with, this is probably the most respectable and most mature. I'm not posting this for attention, I post for your information and how it could possibly help you. My 'plan' didn't go as planned.

It happened. One of the most unforeseen incidences that we all wish wouldn't happen but try to prepare for. Someone marched into my neighborhood and opened fire on a neighbor that just moved in.

Whoa! I am sure you are thinking.

Let's start by saying I live in a somewhat normal neighborhood. It is a large subdivision full of everything from million dollar Frank Lloyd homes to homes for small families like mine. The community pool is always busy during the summer months. It's a rather diverse community, one that has always seemed to be what I would call respectable and friendly. Our neighborhood has had petty incidences over the almost six years I have been here, but nothing that shouldn't be expected. Late November, we had a new family move in across the street.

As a paranoid Marine Veteran, I always watch my neighborhood probably more-so than most people do. If your curtains are open every single day the same way and one day they aren't, I would likely notice. I can tell you if the neighbor is late leaving for work. Watching this new neighbor was no different since they moved in just a few months ago. Their pattern was that their home would be empty from Sunday afternoon until about Thursday evening around 6pm. Thursday to late Saturday evenings seemed to be the busiest. The same cars would always come and go, never loud music, always quiet. I always waved and smiled to them, never with a response. They always seem rather stand-offish which caught me off guard a bit. Enough that I paid that much more attention to them.

Last Saturday, as I was securing my house before bed, I noticed another gathering going on, just like previous Saturday nights. I said to my wife I should call the police for a wellness check, but neglected to. They've never been an issue, just suspicious. Lots of cars are at the house, all of the curtains are shut, only a few lights on...something is up. -though this is how it usually is on a Saturday night.

Sunday morning shortly after 4am, I was woke up by a string of gun shots. The shooters are right outside of my bedroom window, which is about 40ft from the roadway. Shots are directed across the intersection to the home I was suspicious about, the new neighbors. My daughters bedroom I consider down range as she is in front of the shooters. After round 1 went off I was out of my bed, very quickly assessed the situation by witnessing 2 people outside unloading, standing outside of their vehicle. (One neighbor says there were 2 shooters and a driver) I directed my wife into the bathroom and I ran to my daughters bedroom and jumped on top of her to cover her. Once the gunfire stopped, I got up to get a better description of what was going on. I handed my daughter to my wife and directed them into the laundry room where I felt they were a little more safe. My wife had 911 on the phone and I took over talking to them. At this point, I continued to observe the situation and gather as much info and details as possible. Of course the shooters are now long gone. Another car begins to pull up slowly, this time from another direction and I thought for sure gun fire would erupt again. Nope. People ran from the home, hopped in the car and took off. This clearly was planned and the shooters have done this before. 14min after the initial 911 call the police arrive and grossly take over the situation. They later described the home that took the fire 'heavily peppered'.

After all is said and one, I finally lay back in bed around 7am. Of course I can't sleep nor can the rest of my family. I dosed off for a few min, woke up thinking I had a nightmare that seemed so real. It was real. Though I've been trained for combat situations, this is different. Its my neighborhood with my family involved.

Lessons learned.

My number one lesson, things are 100% different when not in a combat situation and your family is at stake.

The entire shooting only took about 30 seconds though it seemed like 30min. The neighbors who were in the house that was shot left within about 3-4min after everything took place.

I tried to stay as calm as possible which helped keep the situation under control within my house. It is very hard to do but must be done.

Any of us who are reading this probably own a firearm or have a plan in place with some sort of return fire thought. That was my plan and always has been. My EDC (everyday carry) weapon, a Glock 19, was next to my bed. In one location where I was watching the situation from, I have a .40 S&W stashed with loaded magazines ready. In the other room where I was watching, I have an AR ready to go. I had a clear, very easy shot to the shooter to impede them or their getaway vehicle but never once did I go for any of my weapons. In my initial assessment, I realized that my neighbors house is behind the shooter. A miss and the round would be in his bedroom and I didn't know how he was reacting. I quickly went to my plan B and got my daughter and wife to safety and to get a description for the police. I do not regret not shooting. I do regret not putting my gun in my hand.

The police...it took them almost 14min to get to the scene. In 14min, nearly half of the party fled the scene. When they arrived, never once did they approach the neighbors who witnessed the event, we approached them. They also never went to a threat or the 'victim' to secure the situation. Though I am sure this isn't their first rodeo and they are the professional, as a Marine, I feel it was handled very poorly. I have also learned I am not permitted a police report, even though my name is in it as a witness. The report is not considered public info until the case is closed. At this time I do not know anything about the situation other than what I witnessed.

Lights in my home stayed off as everything took place. I have bamboo blinds up that permit me to be invisible from the outside with the lights off behind me. I was able to watch everything and move without being seen. I feel this helped me stay safe as the shooters did look directly at my house.

In talking to the 911 operator, I remained very calm throughout the conversation giving as much info as possible. As a former radio operator in the Marine Corps, I knew this was paramount and came as instinct. However, the operator also told me there were officers in the immediate area and they would be there soon. 14min is what it took, and I live in a residential area. I now have a lot of distrust for the local police in response.

As crazy as it sounds, I wish I would have practiced the situation. I will be practicing other situations for other emergencies.

I have sent a formal letter (email) to the leaders of my community with a requested written response. One leader called me to acknowledge they received my letter.

My daughter has slept in her own bed every night, all night, since about the age of 2. (she is now 6) She now won't. After it took place, she didn't want to be in her room because of what went on. We have hung up dark curtains to cover everything which has helped a bit. My wife has literally worried herself sick.

Also, it's time to move.

So there you have it. There is my after-action report for a real situation that happened which we all hope never does. These are my lessons were learned, hopefully it helps you.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Woah, very scary! At least no one in your family was hurt.

Any of us who are reading this probably own a firearm or have a plan in place with some sort of return fire thought. That was my plan and always has been. My EDC (everyday carry) weapon, a Glock 19, was next to my bed. In one location where I was watching the situation from, I have a .40 S&W stashed with loaded magazines ready. In the other room where I was watching, I have an AR ready to go. I had a clear, very easy shot to the shooter to impede them or their getaway vehicle but never once did I go for any of my weapons. In my initial assessment, I realized that my neighbors house is behind the shooter. A miss and the round would be in his bedroom and I didn't know how he was reacting. I quickly went to my plan B and got my daughter and wife to safety and to get a description for the police. I do not regret not shooting. I do regret not putting my gun in my hand.

I like the above section from your post because it made me think what I would do in this situation, which is allays a good exercise. Do you think you would have reacted in the "heat of the moment" differently had you had a gun in hand? With your military background you received different training than those non-military, and your ability to keep calm is very admirable and a key to how each person would react differently had they had a weapon in their hands.

verdesardog

Explorer
I believe it's a good thing that you didn't shoot. It could have caused fire directed at your house and grief might have resulted. At the very least you would have been directly involved and held responsible for any collateral damage.

Expedition_Matt

Wow, thank you for sharing. You should submit this to Fox News or maybe even the AP. 14 minutes is definitely not an acceptable "service level". Kudos for handling the way you did.

Modeler

W1DCS
Glad you, your family and all your friends and family were unharmed. Sounds like you made all the correct choices.

The courts have affirmed that the police have no duty to protect you (Warren v. DoC, Gonzales v. Castle Rock, etc.) which is why, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

Stay safe and I hope your daughter gets through this well and quickly.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Glad the family is ok and good on you for not shooting.

Something ive learned the hard way is i will never ever get involved to help an unknown third party with medical aid or force. It is simply not worth the risk or exposure to criminal/civil liability to get involved. If the threat isnt directed at you, its not your problem.

Good luck.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Glad the family is ok and good on you for not shooting.

Something ive learned the hard way is i will never ever get involved to help an unknown third party with medical aid or force. It is simply not worth the risk or exposure to criminal/civil liability to get involved. If the threat isnt directed at you, its not your problem.

Good luck.

True, sadly in this day and age if you shot you would have been worse off then the criminals. Stories like this is why we need guns. I live in one of the most firearm regulated areas in the country and it doesn't stop the law abiding criminals...err umm...? I think you did right on not shooting or bringing attention to your home. I bet most of the gun grabbers in my area would be singing a different song if they were in that position for 14 minutes with a cordless phone vs a cozy firearm.

Stay safe!

Frank

Explorer
Woah, very scary! At least no one in your family was hurt.

I like the above section from your post because it made me think what I would do in this situation, which is allays a good exercise. Do you think you would have reacted in the "heat of the moment" differently had you had a gun in hand? With your military background you received different training than those non-military, and your ability to keep calm is very admirable and a key to how each person would react differently had they had a weapon in their hands.

Thank you and I am glad it made you think. I have been reflecting on this pretty much ever spare second since it has happened and I hope others think about it too. In the military, we always wrote after action reports and everyone talked about/read them. They were always in a similar fashion as this, but different format of course. You can read all of the 'what if's' but there aren't many 'this happened' reports out there. Though the what if's are good, lessons are learned from 'this happened'.

Military training aside, my instinct was to protect and not with my gun. As I saw the shooters unload on the house, I knew they had one thing in mind. Though I also had in my mind that if they saw me, they might want to take me out too and this is why I was happy that my blinds hid me. -not only from the shooters, but the 'victims' too. The blinds were always part of my 'prep'. I became even more nervous once the second car came and that is when I wish I would have had a gun. If a second shooting would have taken place, it could have been a gun fight instead of a single sided fire mission. At that point, my house would have been in the path of fire and returning fire would have pretty much been the only way to remove the threat. My daughter and wife were safe at that point and I was observing everything.

@762x39, we have been considering moving for quite some time as it is just time for a bigger house. We were considering staying here for a few more years, but after this...I am on the hunt for a new place. Slowly but surely, the renters are taking over and I can foresee it going down hill. I'll run while I can.

And I will have to disagree that the slow response was irrelevant. So many things happened while they weren't here. Had something happened to an innocent bystander, it would have been critical to get help here asap.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
"I have also learned I am not permitted a police report, even though my name is in it as a witness. The report is not considered public info until the case is closed."

When it is closed the defendant,the attorney, will probably have access to that report.
A local guy was awakened and threatened in the middle of the night for something he witnessed in Las Vegas, over 400 miles away.

Frank

Explorer
"I have also learned I am not permitted a police report, even though my name is in it as a witness. The report is not considered public info until the case is closed."

When it is closed the defendant,the attorney, will probably have access to that report.
A local guy was awakened and threatened in the middle of the night for something he witnessed in Las Vegas, over 400 miles away.

Yep, which is why I mentioned it in my post. As unfortunate as it may seem, I will second guess a report if this ever happens again.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Frank - first and foremost I am glad you and your family are safe. Congratulations, quite seriously, on staying calm and staying focused on mission #1, your family.

"Easy" route would have been to jump on that AR and put your USMC marksmanship training to use. We all have the "hero" gene somewhere.... However, "Easy" if you are only just typing about it.... hard in real life, where you and your family would likely live with the residual legal crap for years and for God knows how much money. As for training with the family... not silly at all... somehow you have to pass on your knowledge and level of awareness to your daughter, so when you are not around she can act appropriately to the threats that are all around us. We train at my house. We moved into the woods about 5 years ago. We have no neighbors within a klick in any direction, road to the house is a trail, really. My older son and I regularly do movement drills and practice patrolling in the woods surrounding the house. My wife regularly practices with her favorite firearms and goes about her outside farm chores armed in one way or another. Same as you we have weapons at strategic locations. In short, I think you are correct in wanting to move. I also think, sharing some of your same background, beliefs and daily tactics... you should consider finding land as we did. Any neighborhood in America is likely to have the same event happen that you just experienced.

People don't understand our lifestyle choice for the most part, and that is fine. We have put ourselves in a position one step closer to being self reliant and I am guessing you can embrace that.

Semper Fi brother and congratulations again for acting appropriately and protecting your family. Reach out if needed.

John

MuckSavage

Adventurer
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you & your family are ok. It reminds us all that we're never really safe. You called it paranoia but it's simply situational awareness. May God continue to bless you & your family

J

JWP58

And I will have to disagree that the slow response was irrelevant. So many things happened while they weren't here. Had something happened to an innocent bystander, it would have been critical to get help here asap.

Then maybe you should pony up and get them a teleportation device, or a mind reader so they can just be there before it happens. Heaven forbid they were on another call or something

FYI it probably took at least a minute or two for the information you were relaying to be dispatched over the radio....I know, that is contrary to the movies but.

I suggest you put your expertise to work, and apply to the Police Dept.! You obviously know what you're doing, and have the ability and toolset to serve your community. It would a shame if your skillz went to waste.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Here's the thing. I am the teleporter and have reported to the police on several occasions over the years. When I call in something suspicious, their response is that unless something is going on, they can't send someone out. (continue reading, you will understand why they can't send someone out)

I have been in contact with the local leaders of the community and have spoken to several of them. What they told me did not put my mind at ease in the least slightest bit. The reason it took so long was because of the lack of officers on patrol that night. Maybe I should rephrase it. In contracts with the Union, a minimum of 19 patrolman can be on at one time. On that night, 19 patrolman were out and about. The city is composed of 100,000 people and 38 square miles. This might sound small, but it takes almost 30-45min to drive from one side of the city to the other, depending on how you go. 14min for a shots fired call in a residential area is unsat, and I have had a few officer friends tell me that as well, so I am not too crazy.

Now that all is said and done, they wanted nothing to do with me or my concerns. They all said my letter to them was professional, written very clearly and appreciated that I didn't just complain but offered solutions.

Stay armed and have a plan is what I took out of this entire situation. When it hits the fan, don't rely on your local government services to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94