Military Specification G-Wagen: Videos and Other Details

Scott Brady

Founder
I thought a thread curating details and developments with the Canadian specification G-Wagen would be worthwhile. I find this unit to be the most interesting and relevant of the mil-spec applications.

g_wagon_1.JPG
g_wagon_2.JPG

The music at the end is lame, otherwise some good interior shots too

Not Canadian, but good footage of AU-spec G-Wagen training

Canadian spec page: http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/vehicles/g-wagon.page

Shows iterations: http://www.casr.ca/101-army-utility-gwagon.htm

If you are really interested, some training footage- painful to watch (you were warned)

Scott Brady

Founder
This thing is kind of ridiculous, but I am digging the portal axles.

LAPV
Mercedes-Benz-G-Wagon-LAPV-6x1.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
Those are very cool. There is something about a G on portals with Hutchinson beadlocks; it just looks right.

On the AU video there is a tape of specs running across the page that says it has "macpherson struts with coil springs". I'm not sure that is correct info as the G in the video clearly has a solid axle.

Regardless, very cool.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Rear pic

9e77d7d88cc7afbb632215dd7948844a.jpgHere is another pic. I like the fuel can mount. I'm going to mount my roof ladder the same way and have the spare wheel on a swing out carrier.

ILIAN

Adventurer
What purpose do the frame extensions have? I'm having a steel bumper made out of 3/16" steel with tow hitch and recovery points so I don't think I will have any use for them.

Metric

I found a solar charger panel similar to the Canadian military. The Canadian Gwagens have 2 of them, one for 12v and one for 24v. Here is the one I picked up. It will be on an aluminum panel replacing one of the rear side windows.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP-2-SolarP...0011&rk=1&rkt=3&sd=231408435428#ht_3442wt_896

Are you blanking-out your rear windows or doing the Gullwing conversion as seen on the other forums? Just wondering how you will handle the wires moving with the Gullwing.

Winston

otiswesty

Regular guy
The frame extensionare muti use. Securing the vehicle to a deck, Hi-lift jack point, and aerial transport lift point are the ones that come to mind. I'm thinking #2 will be most applicable to my uses. The solar panel is going onto a stationary window plate in my G500 and not the gull wing access, although I think that could probably be done well if I was going that way.

Attachments

• mil-usmc-airborne-big.jpg
    mil-usmc-airborne-big.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 19

safariguy

Observer
Scott, thank you for continually finding ways of filling up my time, looking at G Wagen videos, photographs and specs of machines that I can never own. You are a truly evil man, my friend. Evil. E-V-I-L. I am up at 3:30am with jet lag, and this was the first post I decided to take a crack at. With all of this being said, the Canadian spec of the G Wagen is likely the best out of the box configuration (other than the Entdecker) I have yet seen. I would give my left nut to have one.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The frame extensionare muti use. Securing the vehicle to a deck, Hi-lift jack point, and aerial transport lift point are the ones that come to mind. I'm thinking #2 will be most applicable to my uses. The solar panel is going onto a stationary window plate in my G500 and not the gull wing access, although I think that could probably be done well if I was going that way.

Ah, the old CH-53E Super Sea Stallion; what a beast, reminds me of the good old days. We were a split squadron, 12 CH-53D's, the predecessor to the Echos, and 8 UH-1N's. Both are gone from the Fleet now. I crewed Twin-Hueys mostly but jumped aboard a "****ter" from time to time, so named for the propensity to defecate fluids and small parts everywhere they went. Those were fun times. That "Super ****ter" isn't even working hard with that load.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Some day these will (hopefully) be surplus. It'll be payback for all the ball numbing cold I've put up with in more than 40 Canadian winters!

Binkie

Do the Canadian MilSpec GWagons have portals and bead Locks?

My wife wants one...common sense tells me not to encourage the dream...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94