New old guy with a new old Xterra starting a build

DD196

Observer
New member with a recently bought 02 Xterra SE. Still in the base lining phase with the intent to build for reliability and safety. Today was the first chance to take it out and try it on a local FS road that leads to an old mine site up on the flank of the Black Hills south of Mingus Mountain. It's a good test, steep with loose and rocky sections and diagonal erosion ditches that twist the suspension. On a good day my very mildly built Samurai will crawl up in 2lo. The X had a problem in one of the diagonal ditches, now wondering if the LSD rear diff is working properly. Overall it did OK with the stock suspension and the new Cooper AT3s at 27 lbs did fine. The view at the end of the trail is worth the climb.

Most of the trail is like this sometimes with bigger rocks and a few ledges. Steeper than it looks.
mine1_zps09a0eb14.jpg

Here I couldn't get across the deep diagonal erosion ditch and had to go beside it. Cooper in the back seat wasn't sure of this move. I'd rather finesse a line than floor it.
mine2_zps28a1f74b.jpg

The end of the trail is a lookout to the north. That's Cottonwood in the valley, the red rocks of Sedona in the near distance, and the San Francisco Peaks north of Flagstaff covered in snow 50 miles away. Expo world HQ is 20 miles behind me "over the hill". Nothing ahead of the front tires but down!
mine3_zps1d6b42ea.jpg

Not much to say about the X yet, just been going over it fixing a couple of leaks, new front sway bar hardware, new loaded UCAs incoming, idler arm bushings & brace on deck. Intent is to keep it light and simple. The Samurai has served us well but we want more range for our exploring and a proper back seat for granddaughters in car seats.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, we had some serious front anti-swaybar hardware issues too, particularly after the Rancho lift install. Cool X, good luck with the project!

DD196

Observer
The front bar is so stiff all of the stock rubber was shot. The rear bar is so light (and hollow apparently) the bushings and end-links are fine. Since we'll be hauling precious cargo from time to time the bars stay, will just have to live with the limitations. It doesn't flex much.

akuria

The front bar is so stiff all of the stock rubber was shot. The rear bar is so light (and hollow apparently) the bushings and end-links are fine. Since we'll be hauling precious cargo from time to time the bars stay, will just have to live with the limitations. It doesn't flex much.

Remove the rear sway bar ASAP. It's garbage and dangerous. The end links will bang against the rear shocks causing potential damage and crashes. You will feel no difference in the driving habits without the rear sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellisfamilyokc

Remove the rear sway bar ASAP. It's garbage and dangerous. The end links will bang against the rear shocks causing potential damage and crashes. You will feel no difference in the driving habits without the rear sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this! No regrets in sending my rear sway bar to the scrap yard.

richard310

pew pew
My front sway bar end link bushings and bar bushings were both shot. Beefed them up with the 4x4parts.com polyurethane bushings. The OE rubber would work better but I don't think they'd last as long.

I second removing the rear sway bar. I felt no difference in handling or ride quality. Removing it will also let the rear suspension actually flex and work correctly to keep your tires on the ground when off camber. Mine actually busted out of its mounts on my first run out with the X.

Good call on the IAB and the UCA's. Did you stay OE or go aftermarket on the UCAs? Be sure to check the LCA and tie rod ball joints as well. Mine are all shot. I'd recommend getting some Bilstein HD 4600's to replace the stock shocks, even consider getting the 0"-3" Bilstein 4600. World of difference.

One tip is definitely keep it light and simple. The downfall of our generation X is the dog of a powerplant and its small fuel tank. I'm at 12city 14hwy (~230mi/tank) with my slightly bloated rig at the moment and its almost a must to carry two of my Jerry's on any long trip.

Your rig looks great; the color and LSD are pretty awesome. Hope you enjoy your new old Xterra as I am.

DD196

Observer
Thanks. Wasn't sure of the color at first but it's fun, easy to find, and not white, silver,or black. (No offense intended anyone). As with any new used vehicle as time is spent sorting it out and learning about it plans change. Took it to an alignment shop for a check and found the lower ball joints need replaced as well. Trying to decide if I'm up for the LBJs and UCAs myself or have it done. Going with NAPA Chassis UCAs. The LSD might not be very useful, found out over on ClubXterra that replacing LSD lube with straight synthetic gear lube will stiffen up the clutches a bit. I did that over the weekend and took some before and after measurements with a torque wrench and discovered the clutches now slip at a lower value now. Not sure what that means, maybe it had straight dino in it. Next step is try straight dino lube and add small amounts of LSD additive to get the desired amount of slip. The clutches might be worn and nothing will help. The PO put KYB Gas-A-just shocks on not long ago so I'll run them for a while. One thing I notice is when starting out the front damping is very light and the front rises and drops to very light throttle. Maybe this is characteristic of the shocks. Still unhappy with the balance of the new Cooper AT3s but what I feel might be the loose front suspension. Still have a drip that's either a rear main seal or oil pan gasket.

Appreciate the advice about the rear A/S bar but for now it has to stay. The suspension, steering, driving characteristics will remain factory spec. I know it will limit the potential places I can go but so be it. This is a backcountry exploring/ day trip truck for me & wife & dogs and when possible the granddaughters. The intent is for as much reliability and safe travels as I can manage. Enhanced ability will come later. Don't see any overnights happening with the X, we have a diesel truck and small 5th wheel for comfortable multi-day adventures. My boss isn't sleeping in a tent, roof top or otherwise, and requires proper comfort facilities. Her days of heading for the bushes are long gone.

Future plans along the safety/reliability theme are braided SS brake lines and syn brake fluid, new belts, steering fluid flush, on-board compressor, manual hubs, rear rack of some sort. Our adventures since moving to Az in '05 usually involve blasting to a known destination from 100 to 1000 miles away then spending some time hiking, biking, exploring then blasting home. Hopefully the X will add a new way to travel and explore.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Nice X! Love that color, don't see many of those.

If it were dangerous, it wouldn't be OEM. It's just not recommended for extended off-road application. You will absolutely feel the difference when driving on the highway, and it's still recommended for towing.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
How are you liking the Coopers?

I will be need a new set of tires before next winter. What size did you end up going with?

Looking good so far!

DD196

Observer
I think the Cooper AT3s are a good AT tire. Quiet on the road and the only time I've had them on dirt they worked fine. I got 265/75-16s, no rubbing anywhere and my speedo is only 2 mph low @ 55. They seem to be temp sensitive, got some bumps in the morning, and I feel some shake in the wheel at times but I've got some loose suspension bits to replace. Also going to have them re-balanced on the wheel lips instead of the tape behind the spokes.

The anti-sway bar debate seems to get cross-threaded pretty easily. No doubt the rear bar on these Xs is fine tuning the road handling. On most anything the front bar does the most of the work and will make the most difference when taken off. I wouldn't expect to feel any difference driving casually with the rear bar off, it's when pushed near the limit, as in a quick evasive more, that you'd discover why it was there. Taking the rear bar off usually causes some push (understeer) and the harder you turn the more noticeable it'll be. Bottom line is do what you're comfortable with but you might want to go in a big parking lot and give it some hard fast turns to see if it does anything unexpected.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I think the Cooper AT3s are a good AT tire. Quiet on the road and the only time I've had them on dirt they worked fine. I got 265/75-16s, no rubbing anywhere and my speedo is only 2 mph low @ 55. They seem to be temp sensitive, got some bumps in the morning, and I feel some shake in the wheel at times but I've got some loose suspension bits to replace. Also going to have them re-balanced on the wheel lips instead of the tape behind the spokes.

The anti-sway bar debate seems to get cross-threaded pretty easily. No doubt the rear bar on these Xs is fine tuning the road handling. On most anything the front bar does the most of the work and will make the most difference when taken off. I wouldn't expect to feel any difference driving casually with the rear bar off, it's when pushed near the limit, as in a quick evasive more, that you'd discover why it was there. Taking the rear bar off usually causes some push (understeer) and the harder you turn the more noticeable it'll be. Bottom line is do what you're comfortable with but you might want to go in a big parking lot and give it some hard fast turns to see if it does anything unexpected.

Thanks I appreciate your thoughts on the Coopers

I've had the rear sway bar off my Xterra for 3 years without issue. Just remember your driving a truck and not a car. I hardly noticed a difference on road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles