Bogert Hi-Lift Jack Stabilizer

monte67

I have read the Expedition-portal review of the Bogert Hi-lift Jack Stabilizer done by John Hansen I believe, and have a question about it.

The hi-lift stabilizer looks great except it seems to have a simple defect easily remedied. The defect is the attachment of the top cable holder blocks the ability of the hi-lift jack pumping handle to rest vertically against the jack body at the end of each stroke. I think that Bill Burke objected to the product based on that and according to the hi-lift company and their instructions this issue is important.

My question is why does the top cable mechanism need to be mounted outboard from the jack (towards the outside the jack body) and why could it not be mounted on the other side of the jack's body? The cables would still form a triangle and provide stability. Perhaps there is something I am missing here and others could educate me on this before I buy one.

If the upper bracket that holds the cable were moved to the other side of the jack (inboard or toward the vehicle), then that would allow the jack handle to come up against the jack body in the recommended way the jack is to be used. Any info would be appreciated before I buy. Thanks.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Check out the video on Bogert's site of the jeep in the sand. What is important is that there is room in that application to hear the all important "click" at the top of the stroke. No click, no upward movement, or worse!

Seems like one could reverse the top piece, but two things come to mind. One is that it puts the bracket on the inside, next to the truck body or glass when jacking from the side. Everyone who uses a hi-lift is mindful of possible damage from the jack itself. And putting a dagger on the top won't help matters. Also, guessing here, but the cable may cross the jack mechanism at certain heights and may snag. Gotta try it, though.

The handle in the vertical position allows the entire mechanism to drop like a rock, sometimes unexpectedly. (Won't happen under load if I recall right.) If you lose this function, just jack down one click at a time. Small loss for large gain in stability.

As always, YMMV

Dale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior