Another OBW Project

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Ok, so is it a feasible idea to run a hose from one pipe/ tank under the drivers door to another pipe/ tank under the passenger door? I would need to get around the transfer case and / or driveline, depending on where exactly the tanks go and where the hose runs. Also the exhaust. What would be the best way to protect it from the heat?
If the water pipes are outboard of the frame rails and the exhaust is inboard, heat should not be a problem for them, but you could have a sheet metal shop fab a heat shield if necessary. As far as the crossover goes, I have to admit that I haven't been under a SuperDuty for a long time, but I think you have spacers between the frame rails and the underside of the bed, so you could hard plumb a line over the top of the rails to keep it away from the exhaust and rotating components. I'd run the plumbing as close to the back of the truck as possible, just for easy access and to keep the runs short. Actual execution will depend on how you want to connect the pump and where you put the filler. I'd put the filler inside the shell if possible, but then you'll need a funnel of some sort to fill from a bucket without a lot of spilling. You could also put a filler neck on the outside of the rear fender and cover it with a locking billet gas door (Ford guys seem to love those blingy things). If your tank is permanently mounted, you might be able to fit it inside the rear fender with a power switch inside the bed mounted under the frame rail. Pump will work better it it is drawing from the bottom of the tanks, so if you can get a tank drain at the rear/bottom of each tank and interconnect them across the bottom (maybe inside the bumper or through the trailer hitch mounts) you can eliminate the crossover on top of the rails. Connections and feed lines can be hard plumbed with galvanized or brass pipe, or maybe with braided stainless reinforced pressure hose like you'd use for a washing machine. Those already come with 3/4" NPT fittings, which you can also get for ABS or PVC. Put a shut-off on the bottom of each tank so that you can isolate them in event of a leak. All this makes me glad mine is on the roof rack with gravity feed.

98dango

Expedition Leader
If you want to be easy just run a hose from the 5 o'clock position on the right to 4 o'clock on the left let it gravity feed no you won't get it all and then put the pump on the left tank this way you can fill each from one port in the bed or where ever. Depending on the pump you may be able to reverse it and use it to fill.

Miller315

Observer
I'm gonna crawl under the truck tomorrow and look a little closer for options. Thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I will have more questions and/or dilemmas after tomorrow.

Miller315

Observer
Crawled under the truck today. What I see and what I think I can do- one pipe on the passenger side. I am having trouble seeing how I can connect pipes from side to side. It looks like I could go up and over some of the stuff underneath with a small pipe, but that won't help water flow from one side of the other. So here are some pics I took mocked up.
Here is a 3" pipe used for show. Strapped up. I think I can unbolt a couple bolts that hold the step bars, install some form of pipe cimage.jpglamp and install tight against the inside of body.

Then mount pump somewhere around herein some kind of water proof box.

image.jpg

Run hose to back end of bed and run a fitting through a factory hole and put a quick connect here.

image.jpg

I figure it should get me around 5 gallons of water. Thoughts?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My initial thought is that for only 5 gallons, it's not worth it. Just put a jug in the bed. I'd also rather see the pump put some place where it's less susceptible to damage from rocks and logs.

Miller315

Observer
My initial thought is that for only 5 gallons, it's not worth it. Just put a jug in the bed. I'd also rather see the pump put some place where it's less susceptible to damage from rocks and logs.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I was hoping that if I could get 10 plus gallons it would be worth it. It may be time to go back to the drawing board and rethink some of this. Still like the idea, just maybe not that way of doing it.
Looking up over the spare tire there is about a 8" high area approx 32" X 32". Then above the axle, behind the fuel tank is an open area. Maybe an old rv tank like mentioned before.
It would be somewhat close to the exhaust( depending on size 3 to 8 inches of exhaust). Would the heat become a problem. If anything it should heat the water inside the tank first before it would damage the tank. But if it was empty, that's a different story.
I don't know, maybe my wife is right. She says some times I come up with crazy ideas.

Miller315

Observer
Got any room under or behind rear seat?

No room back there. I thought about that and took a look. Forgot all the stuff I had back there.
Compact tool kit, small backpacking type stove and cook set, juice jug full of water, small tarp, tent stakes, tent poles, overboard first aid kit, 3 mre's, 2 mountain house meals, 4 bottles of water, and the jack and handles.
I will have to just go lay under there and see what I can figure out.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
SuperDuties are huge. There has to be space for tanks. Look at the FrontRunner site for their tanks that might fit the front footwells (behind the factory kick panels). I think they have a flat tank that can be mounted on the steel panel at the back of that giant cab, behind the rear seat backs. There is also a tank that will fit the rear floor where passenger feet would normally go, and that would probably be OK if you are carrying kids back there. Some Dodges have wells with a drain under the back seat that can hold a tank, so Ford may be similar. Depending on how the inside of your shell is configured, you might be able to run a pair of pipe tanks (probably 3" diameter) along the top of the box rails or strapped under the box rails. If you have a cross-bed tool box in the bed, think about putting a tank under the tool box. You don't have a roof rack, so you probably don't need one. That means that if you did put a roof basket on top of the shell, you could fill the basket with parallel pipes, joined at one end with T-fittings and a drain cock for a system that would allow choice of either gravity or pump feed. A 4x5 basket (like my old Con-Ferr) would allow about 55 lineal feet of 4" pipe; that's about 36 gallons of potable water. You could fit about 35 lineal feet of 6" pipe for about 51 gallons. Probably more water than you need, but you could build it smaller (or even bigger with a different basket). I didn't do that on my Con-Ferr because I use my basket for decoy bags and carts and camping stuff, so I had to leave the basket clear. You can hang an awful lot of stuff on a roof rack if you are careful. I see Con-Ferr baskets on CraigsList with some regularity, and there are lots of other new rack alternatives. If you want to go small, see if you can find a short, fat cylindrical tank that will fit into the center of your spare wheel with the spare mounted so that the inside face is pointed up. Use flex hose to plumb that tank to the inside of the bed or to the outside of the fender. Time to get creative.

Miller315

Observer
Well I have been thinking, looking, and trying to see what will fit where. Got me thinking maybe I was over complicating it. The times I think I would want extra water/ possible shower/ washing water would be the same times I have my canopy on. I just,sold my 05 Alpenlite camper. We are now back to tenting it. The times I can see I would want to be able to rinse/ wash would be hunt camp, clam digging, fishing, and when camping. All,of which the canopy will be on.
So I got to thinking, " I need to make this simple". I want to use the RV water pump I have. So this is what I'm thinking now. Please tell me what you think.
As you see below, I have a 7 gallon water jug( painted red for another purpose other than fuel) sitting on top of my shelf I built. You can see the pump under.
image.jpg

I will secure the jug to the shelf, then mount the pump under the shelf, and connect the two with some hose. I will then run a line/ pipe under the bed rail to the tailgate area, and put on a quick connect of some sort for a small hose.
Near the fire extinguisher I already have power and ground for the canopy light, as well as a double cigarette lighter style plug in.
In this area I am thinking I will make a board that will have my direct line from battery, to a fuse block. From this I will send power to the canopy, the lighter plugs, and a line to the pump. I am also looking onto putting in some LED lights for better night lights. I will also connect my 400w inverter here.

As you can see here, I have side wing windows. From here it looks like I wii be able to get the jug in and out quite easily for refilling, or removing.

image.jpg

Miller315

Observer
I am heading to the used RV part store tomorrow to price various size water tanks. I will see if I can afford a bigger tank right now and use a similar set up as described above.
On a side note, I have also recently ordered a front 2 1/2" hitch reciever for the truck. This will allow me to put a bike rack up front while towing the boat. And it eases the wife into the plan of getting a winch.
I also bought some smaller LED lights that I will be mounting under the rear bumper. This will help illuminate the rear of the truck for camping or hooking up a trailer.
This won't be as extreme or hardcore as some of you guys, but I think it's starting to come around.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a solid plan. I think someone told me it was claiming at long Beach could be wrong.

Miller315

Observer
Sounds like a solid plan. I think someone told me it was claiming at long Beach could be wrong.

I am actually a little further north, and go digging on the north side of Willapa bay. It's a messy good time, and fresh fried razor clams are delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz