Another OBW Project

98dango

Expedition Leader
I grew up in long beach my sister lives in Aberdeen and is past master of Pacific Beach. So I have spent lots of time in the area.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Your idea should work, but I'd rather see a tank on that shelf than a water jug. The jug will block rear vision and that always bugs me because I like to keep a close eye on the the highway patrol cars that tend to sneak up on me while I am cruising. A flat, pancake tank should work on that shelf if you don't need to pile stuff on top of it, and will give you greater volume. Rig it so that you can fill it with a hose or funnel through the open window. A single length of 6" PVC pipe strapped across that shelf will give you about 8 gallons, and you can see over it and still pile stuff on top if necessary. Or run two or three lengths of pipe across the top of the shelf.

Last edited:

Miller315

Observer
I grew up in long beach my sister lives in Aberdeen and is past master of Pacific Beach. So I have spent lots of time in the area.
Small world, I actually live in Cosmopolis. Grew up and now work in Hoquiam.

Duckysdad, I agree with the blocked vision problem, I wasn't a huge fan either. I did find a variety of used tanks today. I can get between a 11 up to 15 gallon tank for about$50. Various shapes, no pancake ones though. So now I just to too see what will work best for the area.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Women these days. My wife just wants to be at the beach for valentines day but she gets one more cold snowy valentine.

Miller315

Observer
So here's an update. The water project kept growing into other additions so took me a bit to get this far.
I needed power for the pump, and I had power going to the canopy. I also wanted to change the existing light in the canopy( very poor output). I already had a double cigarette lighter style plug mounted. I wanted to run one of my inverters back there as well. So I came up with this.
image.jpg

It is a deep junction box from HD. I ran the power into it, put a ground bus bar(? I think that's what it's called) and a fuse block. From that I ran direct power to the inverter( it has an on/off switch) and to the cigarette plug. I then ran switched power to the pump and to the lights. Just finished the first install and test tonight and all work.
The lights really light up the area. Here's a shot with the new LED lights I installed under the bumper as well. That switch is in the cab.
image.jpg

As for the water pump, right now I'm gonna use my 7 gallon jug. It will sit on its side but upright. Gravity will feed water to the pump( which I mounted on the bottom side of the shelf) still working on finalizing this part now that I have power and it works. My plan is to run a garden hose out. Long term plan is get a bigger tank if needed.
image.jpg
Tomorrow I will attempt to finish it all up and clean it up.will let you guys know how it works.
I also got my front receiver installed. No pics yet, but it doesn't look too bad.

Miller315

Observer
So this project has grown( in my head anyway) I spent last night at work cruising the storage and bed platform threads here. Tons of great looking projects. So once I'm done with this I plan on doing a small platform. My plan is to use the existing steps or grooves in the bed and use some 2x6's and plywood. I don't plan on getting to technical, so just want to have room for 2 of those long, flatter storage bins( gift wrapping paper holders). I want to be able to remove quickly if needed, so I can just pull those out pull out play wood and ready to go. When this comes to be I will probably have to start another thread since it won't just be another OBW project any longer.
I have to say though, this forum has really inspired me, and given way to many ideas. Tonight when my wife came out to check on me( she hadn't seen me all day since I was in the garage) she asked if I was planning on moving into the truck when it's all finished. Haha.

Miller315

Observer
Well I'm just about finished with this part. I got a little side tracked with doing a small platform in the back.
image.jpg
I filled up the 7 gallon jug this evening and ran it. Had a couple small leaks to fix but other than that worked pretty good. Had it going through once of those garden nozzles that have the twist option tip. On shower I ran for 3 minutes and only did about half of the jug. Sorry no video or pic of water flowing but flow was good. Here is the set up.
image.jpg
And here is the junction box all finished up. Labeled each switch( LED lights are). It tucked into the rear corner of the canopy well.
image.jpg
So far I think will work good for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier