Unloading/ Loading a truck camper....

acarter92

Hi ya'll,

New to the forum!

First, let me explain my situation... I've been wanting a camper for a while now. We would like to be able to use it for ATV and dirt bike camping/ roads trips, however a few times a year we want to be able to take it on a camping trip with our boat, so we're limited to a truck camper so we're able to pull the boat, or pull a trailer with quads/ dirt bikes. I've looked at "toy haulers" but then we will still be stuck tent camping or getting a hotel when we go somewhere with the boat.

My main concern is unloading/ loading a truck camper... When we go camping we don't want to be stuck at the campground or wherever it is that we're camping. We want to be able to drive around and do what we need to do with my truck and leave the camper at the campground, I don't want to have to deal with putting everything away inside the camper just to go for a drive. So how realistic is unloading the camper when we get to a campground? I've honestly never seen anybody do this, they always just leave it on their truck and don't go anywhere. I'm haven't set myself on any specific camper, but I've got my eyes on the "palomino bronco" series (pop-up). I have a chevy 2500 long bed, however I'm looking at the short bed models that would enable me to leave my tailgate on and close it once the camper is loaded. I think it would make loading and trailer towing easier (not having the camper stick out the back).

So, I guess my main question is how long does it actually take to unload/ load a truck camper? Maybe I'm completely off on this... Just looking for advice/ opinions.

Thanks,
Austin

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a FWC Eagle and it takes me maybe 10 minutes to set up or tear down so I'd never bother trying to take it off when camping, I just drip the top and go. I leave my sleeping bag on the bed and always clean up dishes after cooking anyway, so not much to get out or put away when I want to move or go on a day trip.

PNJohns

I agree with CCHOC. We have a Hallmark popup and never take the jacks with us on a trip. Ten minutes max to put the top down and go.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Many camp areas and campsites will not let you off-load a a TC. And if you do in the outback, you better find a very level spot or it can get REAL interesting!

A Toy Hauler is the way to go with toys (except that boat)...nice thing about a trailer is some folks can stay in camp if they don't want to go exploring.

acarter92

I appreciate the honest input... Looks like we'll be sticking to the tent. IMO, having to take down the camper just to go for a drive would quickly get old. We're very active campers... we enjoy hanging out but are always on the go and it's not uncommon to leave the campground several times a day. For example, last year when we took the boat to the Florida Keys we had scuba gear along and were making one run a day just to get tanks filled, which wouldn't even work with a truck camper in the back.

I never even though about a campground not letting you unload it, but I guess that makes sense. And, I know on all the older TC's you have to remove the jacks, but I've seen a lot of newer TC's that the jacks stay on and just crank up all the way (one less thing to add to the process).

Thanks again,
Austin

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I leave camp often during the day but don't pop up the camper each time. When I tent camped I didn't go in my tent each time I went back to camp, I stayed outdoors just like I do now. A lot of folks cook outside their campers too. I can access my fridge and the storage in the camper with the top down, just can't use the stove and sink or bed. FWIW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

longhorn1

Observer
This is one of the advantages of having a pop-up camper. Lower the top and go. While in the Smoky Mountains, we lowered the top and had everything cleaned up and ready to explore in 15 minutes. FWC aren't designed to be used off the truck. Do you pack-up your tent when you go for the day, probably not? Leaving chairs or other camp items at your campsite is no different. Some put up a small tent for storage. We love the ability to lower the top and go for the day. Longhorn

Last edited:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We have an FWC also and find it's easy to get get ready to move and set up. We use our truck all day long and always have with we need with us for day trips away from camp. We would never go back to tent camping just to have the truck bed available.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I carry my kayak and fly rods on top and don't always camp right where I launch and/or fish. After watching my dealer load my camper, center it and tighten the turnbuckles I don't ever want to take mine off. Obviously some people do and maybe the Northstar is the best option, but I would also look hard at a small trailer.

mkish

Adventurer
A lot of people do it, usually those with the big hardsides. You'll want electric jacks. The nice thing about a popup is that you don't feel that HUGE so you don't feel like you HAVE to leave the camper behind. (And I like having my stuff with me on day trips. Fridge, potty, alllllll my junk.)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I can't ever remember actually seeing someone's pop-up camper left behind. Anywhere. Once or twice a hardside.

As stated, the real advantage of the pop up is mobility. It is quick and easy to close up and move around. If you want to leave a few itema behind and/or secure your spot, just carry a cheap easy setup 2 person tent. Set it up and throw a few folding chairs in when you go exploring for the day. Personally I'd rather not leave my camper and all of the stored items behind in a remote area anyway.

dizzyspots

Adventurer
When we go to Baja, we stay for about 4-5 days. We tow a 19ft Wellcraft behind us. We have unhook the boat, drop the camper on a nice level spot. We go launch and/or retrieve the boat...then we are free to head south to visit Coco or explore then back to camp...repeat the load on last day and head home. It probably takes about 30 min at each end. NOTE: Practice it in your driveway at HOME before you head out camping...it gets easier each time...

pmoyle

Most of the time if I'm going to stay in one place like a campground for more than one day I take the camper off the truck so it is lower to the ground and easier to get in and out of it. I have never had a campground tell me I couldn't take it off my truck, I never even thought it would be prohibited anyplace. Learn something new every day. It doesn't take that long too set up, electric jacks would make it easier. The only time I leave my camper on the truck is if it is just an over night stop or I wont be going anyplace but my camp area.

Attachments

• DSC03511s.jpg
    DSC03511s.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC03494s.jpg
    DSC03494s.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles