5000 mile road trip pulling a trailer...

rroadkilll

Needs a LIFE!
So... I posted this on another forum and didn't get a good response. Hoping I get a better response here...

I'm taking a road trip this summer and would like to know what you guys would do to your rig before the trip...

My rig... 2007 Suburban 5.3 2wd. 173000 miles.
Pulling a 7x14 trailer (possibly)

702krawler

Adventurer
Preventative maintenance. Also, if there are any "known issues", take care of them now. Repairs on the road get expensive quick. On the road, you often don't have the time to consider other options, a garage to fix it yourself, etc.

Kaisen

Explorer
A 2007 Suburban is a fantastic tow rig, and shouldn't struggle with a 7x14 trailer.
At 173K miles, absolutely anything could fail.
I'd pay specific attention to wheel bearings, fuel pump (and don't run it under 1/4 tank), and u-joints
Check the idler pulley/tensioner
Any fluids and filters you can change before then can't hurt
Always check tires and brakes, pretty easy to do
Make sure your spare is good, your spare winch mechanism works (try it), and your jack items are all there, including locking lug nut tool

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I just returned from a 4K mile hunting trip in my 2006 Dodge PU with 185K on the clock. Changed oil, changed oil filter, changed fuel filter, greased everything, loaded new songs in I-Phone and took off!

For modern vehicles a 5K mile trip is no big deal if everything is up to snuff.

anw7405

Observer
Make sure your water pump is not leaking. Mine has 215k on it and that is pretty much the only thing I have replaced besides the normal. 173K is just getting broke in.

A 5k trip is a big deal, Extra water, tools, and some vehicle parts are always a good idea. Fuses, fan belts, extra batteries for flashlights and such. I have done this a few times and its always the basics that save the day and make the trip more enjoyable. Have a great trip and please take lots of pictures for us. :sombrero:

Todd

98dango

Expedition Leader
Humm let's see every 2 months I drive 3 k in 1 week. Let's see I change the oil add fuel and um let's see that one time no no.

If you keep up on your rig it's just a drive. If you do your own service just check it. If you take it in tell them so they let you know on the stuff that could go some shops do that it's not that bad next oil change I'll tell them kinda thjngs.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I also have a few friends threw bout the trip just in case something happens. A driveway can be a godsend if something dose go wrong. There is usually someone close that can lend a hand if needed.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
For the last 5 years we have done a road trip anywher between 4k miles and 7kmiles. The last three have been pulling a trailer.

Change your oil, check your brakes is all good info. But you know best. What condition is your suburban in? Does it leak, burn anything? Last tune up? Repair? What condition are tires, belts in etc?

When we travel, we carry extra oil, water, fuel and a few spare parts. Those parts include bulbs, duct tape (radiator hose repair) and not much else. 95% of our driving is on pavement or fire road, so no other parts come.

Anthony

rroadkilll

Needs a LIFE!
Planning on changing out all the fluids before I leave.

Having a motor guy go through my motor before I leave to ensure it is up to snuff...

Looking for a second spare tire or a tire plug kit and a compressor.

Have already started changing out things that need replacement.

Wondering if I should get another tranny cooler installed???

Waiting to pick up the trailer, cannot get it until end of march...

I'll be insulating the trailer and adding a few shelves and possibly getting bunk cots.

Will be installing a few windows and lights to the trailer and have been looking at different forums about converting a Utility Trailer to an RV and will be using some of those ideas but going even more basic...

Thanks for the advice so far!

Oh and the 5000 mile trip will be to Kodiak from the Outer Banks!

98dango

Expedition Leader
My best advice is don't add a bunch of new stuff. I used to be bad at this. I would want my new X X X X and rush to get it done. Then your working out the bugs at the worst possible time.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Have the rear diff looked at, pull cover and make sure no big chunks in the oil. Check ujoints in driveline. Make sure brakes are over 50 percent and good operating condition. Pull trans pan and inspect for wear. If you dont have an aux trans cooler get one installed. You probably wont be using over drive much so turn it off. Make sure trailer brakes are working. Make sure trailer is loaded so you have proper weight distribution, nothing is worse than the tail wagging the dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior