Dog Boxes

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I'm trying to prep for a few trips this year. The first one is in March, Florida to North Carolina, so on the chilly side. The second is in June, from Florida to the Ozarks, so moderately warm to cool.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to transport my 2 dogs. I have a 60# lab and a 25# terrier mix. In the past they've always ridden in the cab on a custom platform, however this year we have a 6 month old. The dogs need to move to the bed. I really want to try to avoid a fiberglass topper due to weight. Are dog boxes appropriate for this type of trip? I've never kept a dog in a box for more than an hour.

The other option I'm looking at is a softopper, however some have said the airflow is very restrictive.

When we've traveled with the dogs in the past, we generally stop every 2-3 hours for bathroom and playtime. Now with the baby it may be even more frequent.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
The weight of a fiberglass topper makes it quite difficult to remove by yourself.

Restrictive as in there isn't any airflow so in the summertime it will get quite hot.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I traveled cross country with 2 pugs in kennels like this
http://www.petco.com/N_22_429495656...?CoreCat=MM_DogSupplies_CratesKennelsCarriers

The airlines have regulations about the size of kennels that I tried to follow ( Dog should be able to stand up comfortably, and turn around in the kennel). They rode inside the car, so they got air conditioning ( Pugs are really bad for hot temps, and this was NC to CA in Late APR). We stopped about every 2 hours for them to get out, do their business etc, they had water in the kennel at all times.
Tom

rayra

Expedition Leader
The weight of a fiberglass topper makes it quite difficult to remove by yourself.

Restrictive as in there isn't any airflow so in the summertime it will get quite hot.

Fair concerns but there are several solutions. Lots of folks have rigged pulley systems in their garages to lift and lower the tops. And you can leave them either suspended in the air or stand them on the cab end and lash them to the wall when not in use.

attachment.php

But most folks just buy them and leave them on. If you dont want to leave it mounted or would be swapping often, the soft-side fabric tops might be a better solution for you.

As for ventilation there are a lot of force-air duct solutions that require perforation, or it's a simple fabrication fix to fit some large diameter 12V-native fans that you can fit in the screened portion of the opening side windows. Some 1/4" pressboard, a bit of wiring and paint and they can be very presentable. Have them both blow out, or have one blow in and the other out so you have crossflow ventilation when parked / stopped.

Something like a 200mm / 8" Antec case fan moves about 100CFM. Typical midsize truck bed with shell is what, 140cu'?

outletpc_2271_379530867

A member here showed something like this with smaller fans, it was an insert that went atop the window in a passenger door, trapped in the doorframe by the window, had bug mesh in the frame. A couple small 12v fans in a row.

This sort of idea, but less ugly

KK-K9-WGI-FAN-F7-6-OBR_A_3-07%20%282%29_600.jpg

dpsmedic

Adventurer
I used to transport my Chesapeake Bay Retriever in the bed of my pick up in a Vari-Kennel Crate covered with an insulated Mud River Dog Products Kennel Cover. Would secure the crate into the bed with cargo straps to the tie down points. Worked really well. Dog always happy to jump into the truck to go for a ride..

Insulated Kennel Cover
http://mudriverdogproducts.com/product/dixie-insulated-kennel-cover/

Vari-Kennel
http://www.amazon.com/PETMATE-KENNEL%C2%AE-90-125lbs-Bleached-Linen/dp/B00149FL00

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Also Im not sure how long you are planning for your trip but I'd also keep in mind something incase it rains or gets unusually cold. I think heat wise they will be fine with air moving over any kind of kennel but it wouldn't be fun for them if they get soaking wet in rain or get really cold with cold air blowing over them at highway speed. So I think some kind of topper either soft or fiberglass would be better for that.

You may have already considered this but coming from the AZ desert we have had a few times where we forgot to plan for cold or wet since we so rarely have it at home.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
As much as I don't like toppers I might be forced into one here. I thought about building a dog bog at the front of the bed which in theory should keep them out of the wind for the cold, and out of the rain if we happen into it. I wouldn't want them to have to be stuck in a box while on the trails though. Still unsure of what direction to go.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
http://www.cpidesigns.com/images/dogboxes/dbsm_collapsible2_1000.jpg

i have a box like this that i used for several years with my germanshepard and my malinios k9 partners when i was off duty. the one i have is slightly bigger. but being from south ga it was rarely so cold that i was concerned with them freezing. in warm weather the ventilation is fine even in the sun light. just make sure they have water. in cooler or wet weatheryou secure panels of wood or aluminum. in colder weather you could install a light bulb to heat the space. use a rubber mat as a floor and secure the box to your tie down points and it should be fine even on a trail.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Go with the topper, it will provide many more uses and options, allow you to keep your luggage a bit more securely or at least out of sight AND out of the rain, and opens up other options for in-bed storage. With the added benefit that your canine family members aren't shoved in a jail box like some uncouth cat or prisoner or stored piece of equipment. Give them the semi-freedom to enjoy the journey as well.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Dang I like that water dish. A buddy of mine made me one out of aluminum for my patrol car but it was lost during a flip over crash. Luckily the dog was OK but no one got it out before the car was released to the insurance company.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior