Hi Lift Handle All

MuckSavage

Adventurer
So about 6 years ago, I won a Handle All as a door prize at a trail cleanup. I was recently re-organizing gear in my XJ & wondered "why am I carrying this?" In those 6 years I think I used the shovel once & the sledge once (loaned it to a contractor to beat a backhoe bucket pin in)
What could be a more useless tool? Should I even continue to carry it?

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi-Lift Jack?

I assume a Hi Lift jack is what you mean? If so I would have agreed with you a few months ago. I've carried mine around on the roof for several years and have used it 2 times. Once to pull a fence post for a friend and the other to jack up my camper on a road trip when I blew a tire. Certainly had never needed it in a "recovery" situation.
Then this past summer we took a trip out to California and went camping on Pismo Beach. We took the LR3 up into the dunes (tires deflated) and had a BLAST for a few hours. On our way back towards the beach I made a mistake and hesitated in a really soft area losing momentum. Ended up burying it almost to the axel's. After digging the tires out several times and making little progress I finally pulled down the high-lift and the bundle of fire wood I had in the back. I was able to use the shovel blade as a "base" for the hi-lift and lifting through the 2" receiver I got the rear up enough to get some wood under the tires. I then went to the front and lifted from the brush guard. Jumped in, fired it up and it crawled it's way out.
As I said, I've hauled that thing for YEARS and considered leaving it behind a few times. Now it will stay put!

I assume a Hi Lift jack is what you mean? If so I would have agreed with you a few months ago. I've carried mine around on the roof for several years and have used it 2 times. Once to pull a fence post for a friend and the other to jack up my camper on a road trip when I blew a tire. Certainly had never needed it in a "recovery" situation.
Then this past summer we took a trip out to California and went camping on Pismo Beach. We took the LR3 up into the dunes (tires deflated) and had a BLAST for a few hours. On our way back towards the beach I made a mistake and hesitated in a really soft area losing momentum. Ended up burying it almost to the axel's. After digging the tires out several times and making little progress I finally pulled down the high-lift and the bundle of fire wood I had in the back. I was able to use the shovel blade as a "base" for the hi-lift and lifting through the 2" receiver I got the rear up enough to get some wood under the tires. I then went to the front and lifted from the brush guard. Jumped in, fired it up and it crawled it's way out.
As I said, I've hauled that thing for YEARS and considered leaving it behind a few times. Now it will stay put!

Nope, he means the Hi-Lift handle all http://www.hi-lift.com/handle-all/

summerprophet

Adventurer
Depends on where your travels take you. I have a little fold up gerber army shovel and an axe in my rig, and they regularly get used. (Just yesterday as a matter of fact).
Equipping your vehicle is determining your needs for your area. If you have never used it, and travel in a group, I would leave it at home. If you travel in a single vehicle, you have to determine if it makes your more self reliant or not.

No shame in going lighter, but keep it in mind and be prepared to turn around a little earlier than if you were equipped for anything.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
Thanks! I do carry a designated axe (2 really, a Fiskars & the Zippo that's also a bow saw) so I thought about eliminating the axe head from the kit. Also, I don't have much need for the pick here in the Jersey Pines, so I could eliminate that. I wish a rake was included. That would be more useful for clearing leaves, pine needles etc for campfire.

D45

Explorer
I too have one in my truck's bed tool chest

I bought it CHEAP in the bargain cave at Cabela's years ago

Nice, high quality kit for sure...........only used it once also

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
It's a lot of bulk and weight for an XJ. In our XJ we carry folding a tree saw, a cheap hatchet and folding shovel. The hatchet helps you dig around roots and doubles as a hammer. I'd buy an aluminum hi lift handle and base if I could find one to make it lighter but I weigh everthing to keep things light. We also use a 1 ton 4x4 van and I would carry it in it because it's huge and sees little more than a dirt road. If you want to sell it and ship it to AZ I'd hual it around.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
..... In those 6 years I think I used the shovel once & the sledge once (loaned it to a contractor to beat a backhoe bucket pin in)
What could be a more useless tool? Should I even continue to carry it?

Hmmm. ......me thinks you answered your own question!
I prefer dedicated tools myself. The best axe is...an axe....best long handle shovel....a long handle shovel...etc.

Kinda like a swiss army knife. In general, still not as good as a real knife or a real screw driver or what ever other tools it may have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke