How could I convert from bottom bracket style jack to corner mounted jacks?

quentinorciuch

How could I convert from bottom bracket style jack to corner mounted jacks?

I may be able to score 4 Titan convertible electric jacks and want to used them on my camper. I have a 1994 Viking pop up cabover camper with jack brackets that are mounted on the underside of camper. I am not sure the corners are strong enough to support the weight of the camper. Has anyone converted to corner jacks? Has anyone modified the bottom mount brackets to accept corner jacks?

Thanks.

NivekD

Roaming ROF
I installed corner jacks on my 88 Sun Lite Eagle that had the bottom mount brackets originally. Most manufacturers provide extra support for corner jacks but I peeled back the siding just to be sure. There was plenty of solid wood to mount my home made brackets. I went with through bolts rather than lag bolts. Much more stable and I don't get as nervous when loading and unloading:wings:. I'll get some pictures and post them later.

quentinorciuch

Awesome, pictures would be great. I have a 94 Viking and I am sure it is more cheaply made than others. I did end of getting a set of four older rieco titan electric jacks for a total of $50 dollars after I sold the camper I bought that had them on it for $250 and then sold that camper for $200. The jacks seem to work fine. They seemed a little weak raising the camper, but perhaps my battery was dying.

NivekD

Roaming ROF
Here's what I did on my jack mounts. Got some angle iron and made some brackets, mounted them with through bolts and hung the jack from them. This is the outside.

jack%20mount2_zpsll3t7dpx.jpg

jack%20mount1_zpsrghocyy5.jpg

Here's the inside:

jack%20mount3_zpsazjwkf1t.jpg

pods8

Explorer
I have no idea what you have for a structure in there but assuming enough you can buy or make brackets. I made some for mine using angle similar to above but also a flat bar as well backed against the angle so I was braced into both sidewall faces.

19C2F983-FE97-4F7F-9EA7-66354EE37ECC-9009-000006F68967EF3C_zpse1a8d83a.jpg

F9278944-4CD2-4CDF-BE0B-82BF450041F0-9009-000006F67F95B072_zpsbe1dbb79.jpg

I have a pair of commercial brackets lying around too, that are similar but due to the offset they were going to miss the blocking in by structure so I didn't use them.

D35C667F-D498-4C79-BB53-7632E9383470_zpswkxgoyzc.jpg

4FCC3DD4-E7B1-4DFB-9A1E-A4BEE47120B8_zpsyavqpfwl.jpg

MNtraveler

Observer
Has anyone converted an older (mid 70's ish) Four Wheel Camper from the bottom mount jacks to the newer corner jacks? Is there enough bracing to handle the stress in the corners? I really don't like the tri pod set up I have now.

Thanks

pods8

Explorer
Has anyone converted an older (mid 70's ish) Four Wheel Camper from the bottom mount jacks to the newer corner jacks? Is there enough bracing to handle the stress in the corners? I really don't like the tri pod set up I have now.

Thanks

Frames are generally the same from then till now I think, you're only working with 1x tubing in the wall so keep that in mind when choosing bracket material/hole locations so you actually hit the frame. Lift evenly to limit stresses, definitely don't try to climb into the camper when its jacket up.

Keep in mind folks have reported broken welds over time in the frame too with portions now just "floating" in the wall after all the years of us so keep an eye out for anything odd.

MNtraveler

Observer
Thanks Pods! I have my camper apart (interior stripped) and finished the exterior last fall. I inspected and fixed all broken welds. Given that all framing is 1x, I wonder what can be done to beef up the corner framing?

pods8

Explorer
Thanks Pods! I have my camper apart (interior stripped) and finished the exterior last fall. I inspected and fixed all broken welds. Given that all framing is 1x, I wonder what can be done to beef up the corner framing?

What are you trying to accomplish? If you're using the jacks for the manner intended with this camper (ie on/off the truck evenly) it doesn't need an incredible about of beefing up. These aren't meant to be used on the jacks alone.

That said have you compared the framing verse construction pictures of newer campers to see if yours differs much?

MNtraveler

Observer
Pods: I am only trying to accomplish on and off loading of the camper. I do not intend to use it in a stand alone fashion. My concern is that the framing on these older FWC's is 1x aluminum tubing. The newer ones on the FWC website seem to use 1x2 or better in the corners.

Thanks for your help.

pods8

Explorer
A friend has an 80s grandby that he added brackets onto (don't know if his only has a single 1x1 in the corner or not off hand) and it holds. You mentioned fixing the broken welds already, does that mean you can weld aluminum (or have access to someone)? Could add in some tubing, obviously wouldn't hurt.

MNtraveler

Observer
Nope. Don't weld aluminum. I used an assortment of corner brackets and sheet metal screws to fix the broken welds as shown over at WTW in some of the build (rescue?) threads. It seems to work as I took the camper from MN to WY this past fall and toured around the Thunder Basin Nat'l Grasslands on some pretty bad two tracks and had no damage. I think I will add some more 1x in the corners. I am most concerned with the drivers side rear as the propane locker is clear back at the corner and there isn't a lot of strength there, only the corner itself, and then an open hole for the propane locker.

Thanks.

quentinorciuch

Nivek is your camper wood framed? My corners are wood framed 1x2 wood. I am considering make an interior bracket to help distribute the load. I will sketch my idea and maybe you guys can give me some feedback. I plan to take the camper off while camping but will support it with saw horses as well.

NivekD

Roaming ROF
Nivek is your camper wood framed? My corners are wood framed 1x2 wood. I am considering make an interior bracket to help distribute the load. I will sketch my idea and maybe you guys can give me some feedback. I plan to take the camper off while camping but will support it with saw horses as well.

It is wood framed. I think the corners were 1x4 or maybe 1x6, didn't measure, just made sure I had good wood there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke