Cape York 2015

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well the year is well on it's way and it is time to start looking at getting things a lined up in row for our run to the Tip. I know it is still some months away but some things take time. Vehicle mods to be done, camping gear to check. After our last trip report some of you expressed an interest to do the trip this year, well folks lets do it.
The idea is not to rush the trip and miss out on the sites along the way. Ideally you need at least 2 weeks Cairns to Cairns to go to the top a back. We normally travel free style as in we know where we are going and time frame we have.We don't book sites because we generally don't know when for (dates) and there are plenty of free camps along the way. I will say some are better than others generally along some of the creeks and streams.

A rough idea for this year is :-
Cairns to a place called Home Rule (Payed Camping and all the facilities) not far from Cooktown - this via the Creb Track (if open) or Bloomfield track. Maybe a couple of nights (2 nights) have a look at Cooktown and they have a nice waterfall that you can walk to.
Coen next day:- Camp on the creek just past Coen. (1 night)
Portland Rhodes :- Possibly camp on the beach. (1 night)
Along the Frenchmans Track ( East to West ) Depending on time may camp on the Wenlock River. (1 night)
Bramwell Junction :- start of the Telegraph Track. Camp here or just up the track. (1 night)
Possibly a camp along the southern section of the track depending on how we are traveling. Plenty of sites generally on some of the crossings. (1 night)
Across onto the Northern Section :- have look at Fruit Bat Falls and Elliott Falls. Camp at Canal Creek. Good swimming. (1 night)
Continue up the Northern Section to Nolans Brook. :- Nice to camp here, good swimming. (1 night)
From there travel up to the Jardine River to the old cable crossing. Then to the ferry to cross to the top. (We can cross at the old crossing if you feel really adventurous. I'd like to do it some day.)
Once over the Jardine River we are back on the main roads (dirt but good condition). Everyone could seek to do as they pleased.
There is plenty of free camping up around the top you don't have to stay in the caravan parks. Of coarse a trip up to see sign at the tip is a must do if only to take Photos.
Take a ferry trip (tour)over to Thursday Island and Horne Island (We liked it) Visit the war time relics that abound up there. Vrilya Beach on the way back.

Days are usually done easy, start driving around 9am - stop for lunch - Start looking for camp around 3 pm. ( some days don't work like that but it's what we try and do.)
Plenty time to be able to relax.

My time frame is pretty open on when to go but July - August sounds good to me.
The water in the crossings is generally down a bit. School holidays are crowded and harder to find camp sites. ( I'm not saying we can't go then)
Let us know what suits you and we will try to put it together.

At this stage there are 3 vehicles going ( I'll put myself first )
Aussie Iron - Canter
Candy ( My sister ) - Canter
My Brother ( little brother) - Mitsubishi Challenger

Let me know what you recon,
Dan.

Maninga

Adventurer
That's about the time we'll be planning our first trip away in our truck. It's an area we want to go see, put me down as interested.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
We're interested but not sure if our 3.2m high , 2.15m wide "power station" would make it through the tight tracks up there?

Hi we did Cape York 2013 we are 2.8m high 2.2m wide we did most of the Tele track but we did turn off back on to the Development Road after SAMs creek because our length of truck with the bike trailer we would of not made it around a few of the tight creeks turns.

We would love to go again but this year we are building a shed and a few other house renos.
If anyone wants to borrow any paper maps let me know.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
We're interested but not sure if our 3.2m high , 2.15m wide "power station" would make it through the tight tracks up there?

The first year that we went up we had our slide on camper on, it measured up at 3.2m high and 2.2m wide so yes it is doable. At a couple of places we detoured around some overhanging branches and leaning trees. The track is narrow in some places and bush pin-striping is what we gained but so does any vehicle that travels up the track.

Hi we did Cape York 2013 we are 2.8m high 2.2m wide we did most of the Tele track but we did turn off back on to the Development Road after SAMs creek because our length of truck with the bike trailer we would of not made it around a few of the tight creeks turns.

Yes the length would have been a bit of concern but I'm sure with a bit of coaxing it would have made it. It's the choice that was made and it is the right one at the time, as any of the crossing can at times be bewildering and there are bypass tracks around them all (extra klms will be done).

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Slowly getting things organized. Some new parts to fit. Modified rear springs, change of length to so as to change spring rate (should be smoother, not as rough). New diff centre for front diff to help with traction in wet conditions.
DSC00139A.jpg

Dan.

Candy

Well the Cape trip is getting closer and I am getting my truck ready. I have had a 17,000lb Sherpa winch put on the front with recovery points and a 17,000lb Sherpa winch put on the back with recovery points. I hope I don't get stuck anywhere.:snorkel:

I hope to see more people come along for a fun couple of weeks 4wd.
Henny

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well Folks,
Since no one is coming up with dates that they wish to travel we've set the dates at leaving Townsville (my brothers place)on the 10th August and my brother has to be back home on the 28th. Doesn't mean you have to travel back on that date if you wanted to extend your time at the top as the hard stuff will have been done by then (Frenchmens Track and Telegrah Track). You can travel down the Developmental Road, Usually rough but it is the main road back. We will be traveling up from Gladstone the weekend before after my sister (Candy) gets here from Yandina.

We're slowly getting things done. The front axle is all in pieces and getting new bearings, seals, boots and getting a brake service. Nearly forgot, getting a new diff centre, "Alan" supplied (Yes I did pay for it). Replacing front and rear gearbox seals as they are starting to weep oil.

My brother decided to change his vehicle from the Challenger to a Triton. We'll see (still MItsubishi Can't be all bad).

Come on folks it's a good fun trip and even if you have not done this kind of trip before we're not about to leave you behind if you have difficulties along the way. It's all about support and getting people out and about to see OUR great country.

Dan.

JACI

I would like another Cape trip but 2 weeks is not nearly enough time, especially if you go sidetracking

Yes a lot of the tracks are narrow or off camber so you blokes with sticky out mirrors and backs wider than the cab be warned

Attachments

• Trekking 2004 651.jpg
    Trekking 2004 651.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 23

JACI

then there's obstacles like this...........

Landrover stuck in track

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

JACI

Slowly getting things organized. Some new parts to fit. Modified rear springs, change of length to so as to change spring rate (should be smoother, not as rough). New diff centre for front diff to help with traction in wet conditions.
View attachment 269962

Dan.

Just wondering how heavy your rig is, first thing I did was order some longer springs from Gympie and turf the helper spring pack in the waste bin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier