Topper storage solutions\under topper rack?

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hello!

I'm looking at utilizing the wasted space in my 2011 F-150's short bed topper. I'd like to be able to stow some camp tools (shovel, ax, max-trax, etc) on the "roof" of the topper to free up some space below for organization. I've considered using quick-fist mounts to secure tools directly to the topper. I'm assuming gaskets would be needed on both sides and the drilling would have to be done VERY carefully. Has anyone done this? Anyone have any other ideas?

I've also considered building a rack out of square tube that would mount under the topper, while not attached to the topper proper. Something such that it would mount in the back of the bed and up by the tailgate, so that it's got some strength and rigidity without drilling into the topper. Has anyone done anything like this? I really don't want to shell out the money for a replacement topper when the topper that's on my truck looks and works great.

Any ideas? What are you guys using to store gear hi up in your topped truck bed?

kayak15

Observer
I am very interested to see what you come up with. I am currently undergoing the same struggle with needing to add some light weight/loose item storage in my regular cab truck. I will let you know if I can come up with anything too!

MotoDave

Explorer
I don't have any pictures yet, but when I mounted Yakima tracks to the roof of my camper shell I used the through bolts to mount D-rings on the inside. I have shock cord strung between the D-rings in a criss-cross pattern which lets be 'bungee' stuff to the roof. I mainly did it to be able to keep fishing poles from being damaged by stuff moving around in the bed, but it should be handy for stowing other light stuff. you could do the same thing with webbing for a more sturdy option.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
That's a good idea! I don't know that I'll be putting bars on top of my topper.....Maybe an L-track mounted to the roof would be a goo idea? Something that's modular? there's only a few things going up there...nothing heavy like a hi-lift or anything...

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I wouldn't mount anything heavy to the underside of the roof of a truck topper for the simple reason that high speed stops/crashes tend to send heavy objects forward into the cab. Small, soft gear would be fine, but no axes or shovels.

Something like a hi-lift should stay in the bed while axe's and shovels and the like should be mounted to a basket on a trail and stored inside while traveling on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior