What am I forgetting - Little Guy Build

nater

Adventurer
I am currently working on a Little Guy build sheet with the factory inspired by the several builds I have seen here... Here is what I am currently requesting... What am I forgetting about?

5x10 silver shadow box (I am 6'2" and need the extra length to sleep comfortably)
Rough Rider offroad frame
Maxi Coupler hitch
Trailer Brakes
Galley with sink, and a partner 2 burner I am supplying
I will be supplying 34x10.5x17 tires and wheels to match my FJ Cruiser
Licence plate moved onto the rear hatch
Backup lights built into the rear bumper (not hanging low)
A/C Prep (in case the wife wants A/C down the road)
Stargazer window
Window Shades

SO... what am I doing wrong? The wife and I are looking at ordering in the next 2 weeks, so I would like to get the details finalized...

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Thinking out loud...

Room/ability to add USB's and lots of 12v outlets....side/front perimeter lighting...rear stabilizers.....propane tank holder(s)....room for a 12v fridge.....awning(s) for side door

I love spending other peoples money..:ylsmoke:

Good luck on the build

nater

Adventurer
Good call. 12v and usb outlets need to be added near the head board on both sides.. we will have a roof rack for an awning. Unsure about stabilizer hacks, hmmmm

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Those jacks are vital if you plan to use the trailer while disconnected. Wrong sleeping position and big gust of wind can put your trailer on its rear pretty quick.

The external propane mount is also a big one.

What is the tongue setup? Tongue box/ability to mount cans/etc. Any water setup?

The big one is SUSPENSION AND CLEARANCE. Unless you are planning on swapping suspension/ removing fenders and adding custom ones I dont see your wheel and tire fitting. It runs a 15" wheel and that tire is smaller than the stock wrangler in the photos yet totally fills the space. Youll need to consider this before making a decision

daveh

Adventurer
If they are still using a Dexter Torflex you can get a 2.5 inch lift from Dexter. It's a simple bolt on and might get you enough clearance for the 34s.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Are they fabbing up some different fenders to get the tires to fit?

I saw a guy's trailer locally that had the RR frame/suspension on a SS cab. His tires weren't as big but he was cutting it close.

nater

Adventurer
I am bringing the wheels and tires to them before the build, they will fit custom fenders... I don't fear the tires not fitting if they have them at the start of the build. They will fit custom large m416 style fenders. It will have 8 gallons of water, which is enough for us, and the propane will get a mount under the sink. The front had a large mesh platform and a tongue box.

fireball

Explorer
Not sure if you're set on LG, but I did tons of research and planning a few months ago regarding a possible TD purchase and decided against LG and going a semi-custom route. When it comes time to buy our family TD, I'll be using a AT trailer/chassis and a custom built cabin from a builder called Sierra Madre:

http://sierramadreteardroptrailers.com/

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118246-Teardrop-Trailer-Build

No affiliation with either company, just that LG wouldn't do all the custom items I was wanting, and the combo of an AT chassis with a Sierra cabin seems like an awesome way to get exactly what I wanted. Matt at Sierra was super willing to accommodate me and my ideas and pricing was very reasonable.

jim65wagon

I'm not a fan of putting sinks in teardrops. In my opinion the sinks are always too small to be much use; they take up valuable counter space; And their plumbing takes up valuable storage space underneath. A bucket, or stock pot works for us, both are multi functional and more useful to us than a sink would be.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I looked into LG as well. I went with SoCal Teardrops only cuz they had more of what I wanted/needed.

Everyone's personal preferences are different. You're on the right track for what you want.

fireball

Explorer
Regarding the kitchen/galley setup, one great idea that someone told me is to go and arrange everything and pack everything up that you'd take for a long weekend camping. With that pile of stuff in front of you, check out your proposed galley layout and make sure you will have space for everything you want.

Also consider the height of the c-top and stove. With those 34" tires and rough rider suspension setup you want to make sure everything will be at a comfortable working height for you and your crew.

td galley.jpg

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
The LG suspension doesn't lift as high as what my SoCal has. He should be OK on counter height. I've got 35s on my TD and it's a little high but the stove is OK since it sits below the counter.

nater

Adventurer
All... Thank you for the good ideas, I know many of them have already been added to the "list." We are near (~1.5 hour drive) to the little guy factory, so we will be paying them a visit before we finalize our choice, and will perhaps make a "factory tour" post. So far they have been very open to doing whatever we want, and the price has not skyrocketed after several custom requests.

To address a couple of items people mentioned:

Rear Jacks: a great idea, we will be looking to add them either on the build, or ourselves after the fact
Sink: The wife gets what the wife wants
Fridge: We want to keep the fridge in the FJ so we are not tied to the trailer all day for cool drinks and snacks...
Power outlets near the headboard: great idea, will be added (both 12v and USB)
LED reading lights: will be added
Exterior lights: It already has a few, not too sure how to add more... but will be discussed with the factory

The timeline for the project actually is depending on the availability of the tire I want to run (BFD A/T KO2 in 34x10.5R17). That tires looks like it will be released in early March, so the project will kick off then for real. In the mean time we will visit the factory, finalize our build, and put our down payment down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94