What am I forgetting - Little Guy Build

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
You might want to request an axle with 22.5 degrees of down angle, to give you a little more lift.

Also, are you gettting the 7" or 10" brakes? The 7" should be fine, but I went with 10", thinking a bigger brake would be benificial off-road.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Re: the rear stabilizer, this is what AT suggests using for their TD. Seems like a very simple and elegant solution. I was a bit worried it wasn't heavy duty enough, but Mario ensured me it would work just fine. The mounts for the rear jacks looks like they'd be in the way, and then you have to store two really heavy jacks all the time.

http://store.adventuretrailers.com/products/Trailer-Rear-Stabilizer.html
Im working to solve the storage issue with rear jacks right now :/ ill have to update yall when I figure it out.
You might want to request an axle with 22.5 degrees of down angle, to give you a little more lift.

Also, are you gettting the 7" or 10" brakes? The 7" should be fine, but I went with 10", thinking a bigger brake would be benificial off-road.
Bigger brakes = good off-road. Watch this video why haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbojfun27pg

fireball

Explorer
Chris, I'd be interested to hear about your experience if you'd be willing to try the AT stabilizer. Mario swore by it and I was arguing pretty vehemently for something more substantial when he was quoting my chassis build. I believe him, just haven't seen or heard of any 1st hand experience with it on a TD.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
My SoCal has 2 smaller hitch like things on the side. And you put in a straight post stabilizer, similar to the Moby1's.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Chris, I'd be interested to hear about your experience if you'd be willing to try the AT stabilizer. Mario swore by it and I was arguing pretty vehemently for something more substantial when he was quoting my chassis build. I believe him, just haven't seen or heard of any 1st hand experience with it on a TD.

Just talked to some of the guys over there and looked at one. I wouldnt see a reason why that wouldnt work. A few of them have used them on their fifth wheel trailers before as well so a TD should be totally fine. I would post a question thread in the trailer section. I would be willing to bet that quite a few people have used those

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think the application is a great fix on relatively flat ground, but I'm not seeing the ability to be able to level the rear from side to side, which often times is the case.

It certainly would be quick set up though, and no extra jacks to store.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
but I'm not seeing the ability to be able to level the rear from side to side, which often times is the case.

This could very well be an issue. I had that issue at the Appalachian Rendezvous, and am very glad I went with two separate levelers for the back of my trailer.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
I have a 5x10 Silver Shadow. For me, I wish the tongue was a foot or two longer. I added a 60 inch truck box on the tongue and could barely squeeze it in behind the battery.

nater

Adventurer
Well all... I ordered the silver shadow/rough rider/odd ball custom on Monday with my wife. We incorporated a lot of the ideas given here, and some from random builds we saw around the internet. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, I think it will work really well for my wife and I (a quick way to get away from the city for long weekends, staying within 5-6 hours of home). I was quoted 8 weeks of build time, and so hopefully in about 2 months, I will be posting pictures of my completed teardrop!

nater

Adventurer
Well... Just heard from my ordering dealer... Should be here in 2-3 weeks. I dropped off the tires at the factory a few weeks ago, and apparently caused a bit of a ruckus as they were bigger than they thought they would be (34x10.5R17's mounted on FJ cruiser rims). I did have a really nice conversation with one of they guys at the factory when they were trying to determine the lug pattern.

Little guy appears to be cutting back on the amount of custom work they will do, as the number of trailers per month they build is going up. This may be one of the last "custom" teardrops they build as it slows down the production of the off the shelf trailers. Although, he did mention that they are looking into building something improved over the "rough rider" as a standard offering. Either way, I am glad I got my order in when I did!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke