Picking a new dual band

Frdmskr

Adventurer
If you are interested in APRS and are interested in the V71a spend the extra bucks and get the TMD 710. Same radio just a different control head. If you are worried about output power on 70cm then lean towards the Icom.

wirenut

Adventurer
The TMV71A has an un-defeatabel time out timer when in cross-band repeat mode; it's set at 3 minutes. For me that makes that mode unusable for any sort of use where a lot of people are keeping a repeater's squelch tail up like during an emergency net. If you're just talking simplex in cross-band mode it's no big deal. Also, the CW ID in cross-band mode ID's on both bands every 10 minutes. So, if you're just monitoring a repeater you end up transmitting your ID over the repeater every 10 minutes.

Otherwise, I'd really like to try a V71A, it looks like a great radio. I've had terrible experiences with Kenwood but that radio looks good enough for me to try one again, almost. Right now, If I was buying a brand new dual bander it would be the Alinco DR-635.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
If the cross band on tmv71a works as wirenut describes, you couldn't use it for cross band on repeaters here. People would kill you. And it would add to congestion during a public service event. I don't care if it's technically required, it's wrong. I'm not slamming Kenwood here, they make some great stuff and I love my TS-50.

If you're avoiding the 8800 because you know you won't like the looks of not having button backlight, or if you're an experienced ham and know you would miss it, then I truly respect your opinion. Especially the former...you have a nice truck I'm sure, and should have something you like the looks of. But if you're basing not having backlight on operation of the radio, then I'd ask if you're sure...because the buttons aren't much use, IMHO, except for going into the menus to set things, which you won't be doing while driving. I drive a lot at night, too...in NY it's dark and winter half the year. When operating 2m/440, you use the knobs for volume/squelch/tuning, and they're not lit on most radios. The buttons I use are for memory/vfo, up/down memory or frequency on the mike, high/m/low power, reverse, and maybe Mhz tuning. All of those you can do from the mike buttons on an 8800, and the mike buttons have backlight you can turn on. Things like tone frequency, tone on/off, and offset are buried under menu items on these radios, and offset is automatic. You do need the front panel buttons to program memories, and you may do that while driving, but I don't think most people do, because you still have to go into the menus to change the tones, and at least around here most repeaters have tones.

Not trying to talk you into a radio you don't want at all...just pointing out that if you're new to ham the button thing may not be a big deal.

Oh, and if you want to use this as a scanner in addition to or maybe even instead of a radio, then my comments might be way off. I never use my mobile as a scanner. It would drive me nuts, and bore me to tears at the same time, if that's even possible...

kenaiking

Observer
Thanks wire nut the time out on the cross band kicks out the kenwood. I was unaware of that.

AlbanyTom- Lots of good info there thank you. I was under the impression the mic was also not backlit and that a concern. I am by far no expert ham (by a long ways :) ) but I do use with VHF/UHF radios daily at work. We use ICOM's and Motorola so I am more comfortable with those brands but I have a Yaesu HT and love it. Lot of choices and good info on this thread.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Glad he mentioned that the 8800 has a back lit mic. I was going to bring that up.
I do scan with mine. Lots. I like it and it is pretty easy to hit the buttons I need sight unseen. Scan start/stop (both sides) and volume (both sides) are about the most used. From time to time I push the volume knob to switch side. That is about it.
Like he said , programming or x-band repeat functions are set up while parked :)

jes3se

When I had my 8800, the backlit buttons weren't ever an issue. Most of those changes I never made on the road, in the dark. They're options that I always had set before I was really underway. The backlit mic handled most of those anyway, and the light on it is switched on the mic itself. The crossband hassles of the kenwood are the reason I don't want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbox73

Adventurer
Another happy Yaesu 8800 user/owner here ... though I wish there was a higher power transmit output model, as some of the newer radios have 75W output, though in all likelihood if you can't reach out with 50W, you probably can't reach out with 75W either. The dual frequency receive capability (also available on some other radios) was a big selling point/feature for me. At events, I like to be able monitor the main overall net, as well as a separate localized event frequency or scoring frequency. The crossband repeat functionality is a bonus, but since I can often park right where I am needed, honestly I've only used that feature once. If I had to park further from where I am needed then that feature might be higher up on my appreciated features list. Usually I just monitor with my handheld (or turn the volume on an external speaker up) and walk/step back to the truck if I need the higher TX power to reach out. You can also pick up a cheap dual band Baofeng radio these days (though I also have a dual band Yaesu VX7R) to allow one to TX/RX on UHF to facilitate the crossbanding. The small size of the buttons & lack of backlighting on the head unit of the Yaesu 8800 is unfortunate, but is the price you pay for having full control of both sides of the radio, while still keeping the head unit small, and like others it has rarely been an issue for me, though I usually operate only while parked, so the size of the buttons and just turning an interior light on at night when needed isn't a problem for me.

One feature that I do like on the Kenwood D710A is dual transmit capability ... not at the same time, but if one is into APRS, one can use one channel for normal use & the other side will TX on APRS frequency at defined intervals when not TXing on the main channel & the APRS frequency is clear (at least that's what I was led to believe by a knowledgeable fellow ham). However, APRS was still pretty new & uncommon when I bought my mobile, and the price premium of the Kenwood D710A over the Yaesu 8800 is a chunk of change if you don't plan to use APRS or want/need the larger remote head of the Kenwood D710A.

Jerry

Adventurer
Maybe you have already purchased a radio by now, but since the thread is still open I will take the opportunity to add my 2 cents. "HenryJ" mentioned in an earlier post that a good software program is important and I heartily second that statement. Check around and find out which brand radio has the best available software, probably after market. I guarantee it will make a big difference down the road. Personally I chose Yaesu products, specifically the FT-7800R and FT-7900R for our mobiles, an FT-60R handheld and a second-hand FT-8800R for the shack (I have no need for cross-band). Each radio and both sides of the 8800 are programmed and updated identically thanks to G4HFQ Software.

By the way, I am NOT a Yaesu nut. I have Icom HF rigs that I would not trade for equivalent Yaesu products.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
We're spoiled...there are a lot of very good 2m and dual band radios out there. I'm curious as to what the op is leaning toward, too.

mike the welder

Adventurer
Ham radio outlet just opened up a store about 8 miles from me so I got to put my hands on all the dual band mobile radios I was interested in. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I chose the KENWOOD
TM-D710G. It has everything I could ever want to use built in so I will never have a any buyers remorse. I'm going to try to get it installed this week end. I really wanted the YAESU FTM-400DR, but most people I talked to said their system fusion digital voice stuff is going to go away like betamax.

kenaiking

Observer
Well guys I haven't made a definative choice yet. Mostly because I have been hanging out in Maui for a bit :)

That said I am pretty sure I will be going with the Icom 2730a. It fits my needs and has all my wants.

I will update though when I order and get it installed.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Well guys I haven't made a definative choice yet. Mostly because I have been hanging out in Maui for a bit :)

That said I am pretty sure I will be going with the Icom 2730a. It fits my needs and has all my wants.

I will update though when I order and get it installed.

Well, today was the first day in a week that I haven't used 4wd to get out of my driveway. Maui would be nice....

Keep us posted!

kenaiking

Observer
Well, today was the first day in a week that I haven't used 4wd to get out of my driveway. Maui would be nice....

Keep us posted!

It has been the exact opposite in MT. Sunny and in the 50's. Weird but great weather for us.

I ordered the 2730 today along with a Comet SBB-5.
Should be there by the time I get back. I will check back in once it is up and running.

Testing for my general next week as well. Should be an interesting week :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles