Custom build for family of 4?

jream2008

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for some time for a 4x4 option for my family of four (with rapidly growing kids) and while I would love a crew cab, 4x4 cabover truck with a full camper on the back, that just isn't really an option in the US. So it seems like a 4x4 HD pickup is the best option.

I'm thinking that a FWC shell - probably the Granby model - would be the best starting point, and I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of custom builds that might fit my needs, specifically:
- Sleeping inside for four (think 4 adults, although 2 are still kids, but will be large soon)
- I'm 6'5", and my son probably will be soon as well, so need some fairly long bed space (80")
- Probably want a Queen+ and two singles, as the kids will be teenagers in not too long
- Would really think of living/cooking outside, under awnings if necessary, but would want to be able to store all the necessities in the camper (chairs, tables, kitchen set, etc.)
- Lastly, would want some of the conveniences of a built camper, e.g. generator, charging for electronics, fridge/freezer, maybe porta-potty

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks,

Jason

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Jason I'm kinda in the same boat. Currently we use two different vehicles towing a Life Time Tent trailer aka smaller 4x6 Jumping jack trailer concept. From what I have sorted out the growing families that started out with a 4dr Tacoma ie midsize rig more often than not end up moving up to a Tundra or other larger pickup due to the payload needs. The FWC campers are very nice I really REALLY want one! Even built not far from me. But the reality of it is that anything smaller than a 1500 sized pick up sounds like it would be hitting the payload max with my family of 4 and packing some what light with an FWC. Our typical adventure rig right now is our 2010 2.5L Subaru Outback towing the 900lb trailer + toys which case we keep it light and do fine 21-26mpg. When we pack heavy we take our 07 Sequoia 16-17mpg.

The Tacoma flatbed FWC would be my dream rig but with kids we would need to be packing light vs all the toys going with us etc. I can't see my self ever owning anything longer or wider than the Sequoia given anything larger and parking becomes a major PITA. A 4dr Tacoma with more load capacity would be ideal but that ain't happening.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've not been in a shell model FWC, but 4 people in most any pop up camper is going to a tight fit at best IMO. I think in the end, you and momma will be in the camper and the kids will be tenting it!

pods8

Explorer
Would a pop-up trailer work for you? More space, less cost, more flexibility on tow rig.

3 of us use a standard grandby hunting and its snug, no way 4 would fit the normal layout. One option that comes to mind if you need two single beds in a truck camper that I've seen before but can't recall where (I think it was a non-cabover design) is a bed on each side of the isle and a counter across the front of the camper in front of the cabover, the cabinet is notched out so the foot of each bed go into it (with a grandby that would mean you could have narrow cabinets or such at the rear corners too or move the beds back to the rear and make that front cabinet full width. Regardless it will be snug and those on the lower bed will have no option but to get up when folks need to get moving. Also any table arrangement will block access from the door to the front counter, so minimal would be the name of the game.

A big issue in small quarters like this will numerous folks is trying to hang any wet gear, very little room and condensation big time.

Edit: found the pic:
mini-20interior3.jpg

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I really don't see 4 being comfortable at all in a 4wheel camper granby, you and wife maybe. You would probably better off in a large tent. The best option I can think of would a one ton 3500 4 door crew cab, with a custom northstar camper. They make a hard sided camper that is for a flat bed, you could probably have them build it in a pop up version with bunks.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
i have an '09 Grandby, if u want just out of elements for sleeping it will work but very tight for 4. Though we have done for just sleep and warmth, with tent outside for gear. Works best with 2.

jream2008

Thanks to all who replied - this is very helpful.

I was thinking of a 2500/3500 truck, so the weight wouldn't be an issue, but pretty much all y'all highlighted the fact that 4 just wouldn't really fit into a camper, even just for sleeping.

I'm trying to avoid the trailer - partly for off-roading ease but also to preserve the ability to tow some ATVs if needed (a lot of the trips we'll do are likely to be in Utah). I think a heavy-duty 4x4 crew cab plus the works in terms of camping gear put into the back under a shell with a nice rack set up is the way to go. Preserves the truck's capabilities and probably sets us up for the most comfortable camping.

Thanks!

java

Expedition Leader
Host built these for a couple years, there is one that I see at a local ski hill all the time that looks great. Its built on a F 550. They made a larger one too, but IMO the overhang is way too big.
270_exterior_6_zps2b68d799.jpg

Tiger also makes smaller/medium RV's, very high end, based off 4x4 PU's

pods8

Explorer
but pretty much all y'all highlighted the fact that 4 just wouldn't really fit into a camper, even just for sleeping.

If you went with a flatbed build you have options but still snug. Go with the typical side entry door/rear dinette/front kitchen area. Have it laid out so the dinette is decently wide (maybe 48" if you have a long bed). Have the bench backs make the dinette into a bed, each one bridging the opening side to side thus you can lay one down to make a single bed and have 24" of each bench left to sit on. Also have a bunk at the back above the dinette (it would need to be down when the top came down and folds out of the way when you want access to the full dinette).

With that you'd have two 24" wide bunk beds (with the lower able to turn into a full 48" wide) that still preserves two 24" wide seats when the 24" wide version of the lower bed is used. This will allow folks to get moving around a bit without instantly kicking the folks out of their bunks.

All that said room for drying clothes will be limited and movement around the inside of the camper will need to be coordinated.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
an 8' camper is just too small for 4 adult sized people. We have used several 9'6" ones for hunting camps and we always end up stomping on one another in the middle of the night.

longhorn1

Observer
If you go to Wander the West there are great FWC build stories. Bill Harr has one of the best posts. We have a 2014 Grandby, fully loaded with a front dinette. Taking 2 grand kids for a trip might be a bit cramped. 2 adults in a pop-up works fine. You just have to develop a routine. I get up and get out to start setting up the grill for breakfast. Good luck with your choice.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
You may want to consider a flatbed camper. I have two teenagers that love to go camping and sleep in separate beds. Even though we have a slide out which provides more room, I can see where a different configuration without a slide would still give a family of four enough space. A flat bed really opens up the space, that is for a truck camper.

clueders92

If you go with a crew cab could you improvise a sleeping area in the back seat? A simple frame to fill in the floor and a mattress to lay across it and the seat would be good enough for most kids. Obviously heating it would be challenging, but for moderate weather it would seem work. Then three in the camper is far easier to figure out

adam88

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for some time for a 4x4 option for my family of four (with rapidly growing kids) and while I would love a crew cab, 4x4 cabover truck with a full camper on the back, that just isn't really an option in the US. So it seems like a 4x4 HD pickup is the best option.

I'm thinking that a FWC shell - probably the Granby model - would be the best starting point, and I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of custom builds that might fit my needs, specifically:
- Sleeping inside for four (think 4 adults, although 2 are still kids, but will be large soon)
- I'm 6'5", and my son probably will be soon as well, so need some fairly long bed space (80")
- Probably want a Queen+ and two singles, as the kids will be teenagers in not too long
- Would really think of living/cooking outside, under awnings if necessary, but would want to be able to store all the necessities in the camper (chairs, tables, kitchen set, etc.)
- Lastly, would want some of the conveniences of a built camper, e.g. generator, charging for electronics, fridge/freezer, maybe porta-potty

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks,

Jason

One of the biggest pop-up campers I can think of is the Outfitter Juno 10. It has a rear fold-out tent.

http://www.outfittermfg.com/campers/new-campers/juno/juno-10

Don't know much else about it, but it's pretty huge.

phoca_thumb_l_juno_86.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke