Looking to jump to tI'm he dark side....possibly

the59sound

Observer
Ok i currently have a 00 xj and like it and all, however i'm tired of having to fix it. no ac, no real heat, driver window works when it feel like it, the cooling system sucks, it over heats in when i sit in traffic...i live in just outside of austin... so traffic is a big thing around here. i've talked to one of my buddies who has had Toyotas before but i'm looking to see what you people have to say. I'm looking at 4Runners and just want to know more about them. I'm looking at the 03+ body style, and i'm looking to use it as a daily driver, and a camping rig. nothing crazy. but what i'm wanting to know is what should i look for? anything to stay away from? any major problems with particular years, so on and so forth. i've just been in the jeep world for over 6 years now and haven't really looked at anything else other than xterras for like a week. so please bring on the info!

but what i'm wanting to know is what should i look for? anything to stay away from? any major problems with particular years, so on and so forth. i've just been in the jeep world for over 6 years now and haven't really looked at anything else other than xterras for like a week. so please bring on the info!

Depends on what you want the truck to do. I love my 2013 double cab short box(DCSB) with a manual transmission. Amazing truck, awesome daily driver, pulls the family camping trailer in the summer. As a general rule, Tacoma owners tend to favor the TRD packages if you plan to use it stock (better shocks, Elocker on reear etc). If you plan to mod the truck (OME or ICON suspensions are popular) you are better buying a base and building it. I did a Rancho Quick lift in mine and love it. There is a ton of aftermarket support for building the Tacomas. As for other Toyota 4x4, I hear good things about 4runners and Tundras, but can't really speak to them.

the59sound

Observer
the man thing i'm looking to do with it, is to really just use it to go camping. as sad as it sounds i doubt it will see much off roading. i've out grown mud, i don't really want to rock crawl, and the way i've used my XJ it's still stock and has handled everything i could throw at it. i'll have a sleeping/storage compartment in the back so when i do go camp if i need to sleep inside the rig i can still use the AC and heat. i'd put some better tires on it for the area i'm in but it's not going to be a hard core off road rig ya know. i've talked to a few people about the 4th gen and i have been swayed to the V8. other than the power difference, i hear they are more reliable than the V6. That is more important than speed or torque really. (anything in a 4th gen is going to have more than my XJ) so if anyone knows about the V6 and how reliable it is, please do share =)

Derek24

Explorer
The v6 is a great engine, there's more rave about the v8 because it's been around since 98 in the landcruisers, then the tundras, and so on. I had both, a tundra which I loved, the 4.7L is so smooth you cannot even feel it running, sometimes I had to look down at the tac and see if it was running. The v6 has the same HP as the pre 2005 V8, but less torque. When I had my FJ it pulled great, but I could tell it was no V8 especially when loaded. I have seen many post of the v6 with 300k miles and still going, and the v8s with 500k miles. The one thing going for the v6 is a timing chain where the v8 has a belt, but don't let that be a factor in buying, you can do a belt yourself every 100k miles. The 4runner is a great platform, and being 100% made in japan you know and it's proven to last!

The census seems you want an SUV of some sort rather than a truck. Again, it's seems that you have swayed to the Toyota Manufacturer against others for preference I can assume. You may look at others, but that said you should just be looking at the 03'-09' 4runner, (not one) Sequoia or GX470 "120-prado platforms". Do yourself a favor and purchase with logic, get the V8. Believe me when I say that you will not regret your choice. The pro's versus con's largely out weight the V6 option and is not even worth an argument. The other i ndividual to be considered is the 95'-02' 4runner, for the similarities to the older XJ and simpler systems with still great dependability. Of course you will have the L4 or V6 as a determining factor. Whatever vehicle you choose, be sure to buy it for your reasons and after all enjoy it, because we aren't driving it. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles