Nissan frontier question

Ive been looking for an smaller pick up, and like most people narrowed down to either a Tacoma or frontier, found a really nice frontier, 01, in great shape, low miles, king cab, supercharged, and 5 speed manual, only issue for me is this thing is rear wheel drive only, i have access to a couple of complete 4x4 xterras of the same vintage, how involved would be to turn that frontier into a 4x4? Thanks in advance.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Ive been looking for an smaller pick up, and like most people narrowed down to either a Tacoma or frontier, found a really nice frontier, 01, in great shape, low miles, king cab, supercharged, and 5 speed manual, only issue for me is this thing is rear wheel drive only, i have access to a couple of complete 4x4 xterras of the same vintage, how involved would be to turn that frontier into a 4x4? Thanks in advance.

It would be a pretty involved procedure. Transfer case, linkage, shift lever, differential, suspension, driveshafts, hubs... All that would have to be changed/added. Lots of modifications and lots of cost. Also, I'd avoid that supercharged engine like the plague. Less reliable than the NA and atrocious fuel mileage.

I think the Xterras would be a better fit. If you need the extra storage space of a truck bed, I'd very strongly suggest the 88-95 Toyota pickup. Stout as hell and easy to build. Looks awesome to, in my opinion.

Last edited:

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Avoid! At best, you'll have an expensive frankentruck. At worst, it'll never get done to your satisfaction. A later truck, even with higher miles, will net you the VQ40DE engine, which is better all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94