Quigley Motor Company First Transit 4x4 Prototype

Looks like they have a running unit. Interesting times ahead indeed. I wonder how this system will compare the 4x4 system in the Mercedes Sprinter. If priced right, this could be the perfect vehicle.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So did the new 4x4 system only survive 8 seconds? You would think they would give a little bit more of an sample...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like its still running the factory Transit rims and tires - which are 16 but with an odd bolt circle size (5x160) and there isn't that much of a lift on it either - so far so good I hope...

350outrage

Adventurer
I'm kind of thinking that when it tried to crest that little hill, they discovered it d/n have enough breakover clearance, when it got stuck! :-D OR the guy just turned around, knowing he didn't have the clearance to crest the hill.

haven

Expedition Leader
I'm sure U-Joint Off Road is watching with interest. One problem (from an ExPo perspective) with the Quigley conversions is that they try to stay as close to stock ride height as possible. So larger tires are unlikely to fit.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm sure U-Joint Off Road is watching with interest. One problem (from an ExPo perspective) with the Quigley conversions is that they try to stay as close to stock ride height as possible. So larger tires are unlikely to fit.

Not really! Got under the 1st one I could and thought about how many compromises there will be when converting. Uni body, rack/pinion that comes down RIGHT where the front shaft would need to be, etc. I don't see UJ and the Transit doing much together as of now.....

But, i am curious to get under one of these and see what they did!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I expect it will be independent suspension in the front... not really a U-joint type solution :)

Doubt it will be a direct replacement for the u-joint / sportsmobile type van - but there are plenty of others it will work really well for.

Should be interesting.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
There have been 4x4 conversions of the ford transit vans offered already -

Australia - http://www.bus4x4.com.au/vehicles/ford-transit/standard

Quadvans? Portland OR says they are working on it as well

10423640_820680674621388_3496069006734085970_n.jpg

And in England there is a company called Countytrac, a division of M.J. Allen Ltd, who are involved in the development of the latest Mk7 AWD Transit and Connect models. Mainly used by utility companies such as National Grid, the Ministry Of Defence, and by mountain rescue teams, the Transit County 4x4 proved to be a capable vehicle both on and off road, with the ability to carry both crew and equipment just about anywhere

haven

Expedition Leader
The Quigley 4x4 conversion appeared at the Chicago Auto Show in February, and the Work Truck Show in Indianapolis last week. Next appearance will be at the Cleveland Auto Show next week. By now, someone must have crawled underneath to see how Quigley built the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne