Jeep Commander as an expo vehicle?

Sal-XK

Observer
I skipped spacers, didn't want to deal with it. I'm doijng the same on my new Taco. 235/85/16 nice hight, no rub or spacers. I have the power adjustable pedals so my cubby is pretty small. Ahhh first world problems...

My adjustable pedals are at the bottom of the center dash. My cubby to left above my left knee is empty.

This is wear I mounted my CB in my 2007.
CB%2520mount.jpg

This is wear I mounted my antenna.
100_5237.JPG

Sal, I just clicked on your link in your sig tag for your build thread here. NICE job. I dont know how I missed it in my searches. :coffeedrink:

Thanks man I appreciate it!

camodog

Adventurer
I test drove about 6 Commanders this weekend. My wife and I really like these trucks. If we could find a low mileage 2009 or 2010 with leather heated seats 5.7 and QDII we would trade in our LJ and Superduty for one.

Sal-XK

Observer
I test drove about 6 Commanders this weekend. My wife and I really like these trucks. If we could find a low mileage 2009 or 2010 with leather heated seats 5.7 and QDII we would trade in our LJ and Superduty for one.

Those are hard to find but they are out their and worth the effort of finding one all optioned out. The difference between my Sport 4.7L and Hemi limited is night and day.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I saw a really nice commander the other day. Lift, tires, roof rack, etc, etc. I want to see one with the frame reinforced and a SAS!

camodog

Adventurer
Just going to keep my eyes open. Hopefully a low mileage one shows up one day and I can pounce on it. I will miss the LJ for sure, but I think we will be quite happy with the Commander

Sal-XK

Observer
I saw a really nice commander the other day. Lift, tires, roof rack, etc, etc. I want to see one with the frame reinforced and a SAS!

The uni-body is pretty strong, it doesn't flex at all. I had the XK teetering on two wheels and opened all four doors and the rear hatch just show how tight it was. I think Jeep learned their lesson on that one. I seen one WK with a SAS a few years ago but that's it so far.

Just going to keep my eyes open. Hopefully a low mileage one shows up one day and I can pounce on it. I will miss the LJ for sure, but I think we will be quite happy with the Commander

The wife and I were headed out to see one 110 miles away when she checked auto trader one last time. One popped up at a dealer 10 miles away I ended up buying it that day. It didn't have the interior color I wanted so I was going to leave. The wife pushed them around a little bit on the price and we ended up getting a new leather interior installed. So the deals are out their!

Sal-XK

Observer
Yup! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Except I opened everything all at once and rocked the Jeep a bit.

MemphisClassic

Comodog I have an 06 limited Hemi w 3" lift, 255/75/17 MT, Monroe load levelers in rear, Bilsteins up front and 120,000 miles! Interested? I am in your LJ!

Ben Holeton

Observer
No Commander experience, but I have a '11 Liberty and love it. Slowly building it into an Expo rig. Its very capable off road even in stock form and will be much better once I gain some much needed ground clearance. The only downfall, much like the Commander would be is the lack of aftermarket compared to a Wrangler.

Cobra, you have some pictures of your KK? I have an 08 and would love some inspiration

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Back from the dead! Great info here... We are considering a Commander... looks like anything with a v8 the QD2 will suit our needs of a general overlanding, camping, light trailer towing, work on the farm kind of rig... with the Hemi an important but not necessarily needed option... Would armor important parts, mount a winch... maybe bumpers... potentially skinny 32's. Any input/advice?

mb1k

Observer
With the QD2 system the center diff and both axles lock up. That right their allows you to go places that make peoples jaws drop when they see it. I've heard it a hundred times "you got up here in that" or "I wouldn't go down their you won't make it" I know hoax has herd the same things wheeling his.

Same here. I removed the bling-bling 18" Overland chrome clad wheels and found some 17" Commander wheels on list. This thing will go anywhere and do anything sans "Rocky Gap" and "Burrow Wash" here in the Vegas area. I get the same reactions as Sal-XK gets. You can see the people come to the edge and start filming once they realize it's my Commander climbing the hill and not another 35" FJCruiser or 35" JKU. Never spun a wheel and there was plenty of wheel spinning from the Sports and non-diff lockered rigs.

https://youtu.be/A__P6VF1Mi8

Last edited:

mb1k

Observer
My wife has a commander, they're great! It has enough room for our family of 5 plus our dog.

As far as aftermarket; you have JeepinbyAl.com (custom suspensions, parts and armor), tactical armor group (bumpers) and I believe the other company is steel armadillo.com.

Between those companies, you'll be outfitted.

Unfortunately, this is the Achilles heel of the XK. I've owned and trailed a '78 FJ40 (stock) and an '86 CJ-7 that I've owned since new until three years ago. This XK is the most capable and enjoyable offroad rig I've ever driven. To me it strikes a fantastic balance between DD and potential overland dream vehicle. Unfortunately the aftermarket support has nearly evaporated. The first site no longer sells sliders, the second is defunct.

If I could find a tasteful source for front/rear bumpers with a spare tire carrier and fuel storage solution -I would build this and make it my overlander. Right now I'm looking at JKU Rubicons (but keeping the XK). For the lack of a clean looking bumper solution(s) it's a thwarted overland hopeful.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Yes - I see that options are limited. Looks like there are some but not much...

Can someone compare the interior room between the Commander and a Grand Cherokee of the same vintage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94