Jeep Commander as an expo vehicle?

Sal-XK

Observer
I'm on my second XK just haven't decided in direction yet. I had the interior replaced so far that's it. The steel armadillo still sells sliders and armor. The front seats are great after that though space is limited. Fold all the seats down and take the third row out and you have a ton of room. I have the hemi QD2 now love the power.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I'm on my second XK just haven't decided in direction yet. I had the interior replaced so far that's it. The steel armadillo still sells sliders and armor. The front seats are great after that though space is limited. Fold all the seats down and take the third row out and you have a ton of room. I have the hemi QD2 now love the power.
Betting there is more room than in my LJ :) Are you still in the Raeford area? Any chance I can look over your rig some time?

Sal-XK

Observer
Betting there is more room than in my LJ :) Are you still in the Raeford area? Any chance I can look over your rig some time?

Yup still in raeford. My new XK is still stock but your more then welcome to come see how much room it has.

mb1k

Observer
Overlanding XK

Long story short, VW Diesel owner, buyback, need new DD, bought Cherokee Trailhawk, XK Commander Overland now going to be my Overlander.

RTT - Check
Full length roof rack and front supports to utilize all that real estate - pending
Wilco Off Road Tire Rack and Fuel Storage - pending

IMG_2397_2.jpg

Last edited:

JasonJLamb

Observer
Long story short, VW Diesel owner, buyback, need new DD, bought Cherokee Trailhawk, XK Commander Overland now going to be my Overlander.

RTT - Check
Full length roof rack and front supports to utilize all that real estate - pending
Wilco Off Road Tire Rack and Fuel Storage - pending

IMG_2397_2.jpg

I like the product placement for Overland Journal. Excuse me, I need visit their website and subscribe!

JasonJLamb

Observer
Commander XK Overland Build

I don't think this video has been posted in this thread. But if you want to know more about the Commander as an overlander, check this video out:

2006 Jeep Commander XK Overland Build

Also, go to Instagram and search "jeep commander." There are a lot of accounts and hashtags from stock DDs to heavily modified off-road rigs.

mb1k

Observer
Jason,

That's a good build and a good video. Lot's of useful additions and no "flash".

Broncbuster

I had a 2007 for a few years. Traded it last month on a 2017 JKU. I do miss the extra cargo space of the Commander but wanted another Wrangler.
Mine had a 2.5" lift, Rubicon Wheels,at the time of the pic it had 255/75/17 tires, later swithced to 265's.Jeep Commander1.jpgJeep Commander 2.jpg

mb1k

Observer
Broncbuster,

Your images express one of the biggest, yet simplest, shortcomings of the Commander -the 3/5 length roof rack. This weekend we were supposed to run AZ but had to cancel because my buddy who tankers fuel for me couldn't go. Usually not a problem, but I run either the RTT or the safari rack with Rotopax and gear. The inability to run a full length rack like the 4Runner or any other normal vehicle limits serious overlanding. If I could run a full length rack I could carry my rooftop tent AND my fuel/gear. So frustrating.

jfman

I like the Commander because it looks "overlandy" with its boxy square body. Also these are very very affordable in the used market. It looks like a bigger slight more modern XJ and doesn not suffer from the "Bubble look" of the grand cherokees and 4 runners of that era.

I once thought they were too big to use off road but at 188inches they are only 3 inches longer than a JLU.

If you can find one with QD2 it seems like it could be a good pick.

I would like to test drive on the these one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94