When Someone Offers You a Ride...

mph

Expedition Leader
Yep, like the title states; when someone offers you a ride--take it! Especially if the ride is in a hot air balloon!

pic1.jpg

The family and I headed down to the southeastern corner of Utah this past weekend. Specifically, the small town of Bluff, Utah. The town is a gateway to Anasazi heaven...ruins, rock art, pottery, and signs of a culture that called the area home 800 years ago! We had always seen pictures of the balloon festival and knew we needed to check it out. With winter taking a break up here in Park City; we rallied south to see it first hand. I'm glad we did...

Ruins are the name of the game...They are everywhere. Find a canyon; and go explore. You will find the goods!

pic2.jpg

Lilly and Louise exploring an ancient kiva.

pic4.jpg

The handprints...the corn, grinding stones...it seemed like a nice work area 800 years ago!

pic3.jpg

We weren't the first white people to visit this place. The Wetherhills 1892??? The Wetherhills were one of first white people to explore the area. The were all over the southeastern corner of Utah.

pic12.jpg

Lilly and I exploring the cave and the ruins it held.

pic11.jpg

Magic hour...time to rally to Bluff!

pic6.jpg

What an evening! The balloon festival starts off with participants firing up their balloons to show their true colors!

pic14.jpg

pic13.jpg

The day ended on a glorious note! Tomorrow, would be good!

pic15.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
The following day, we awoke to a spooky sunrise with fog over the San Juan River valley. The balloons were supposed to take off at sunrise. We were a little late but the timing was perfect. The balloonists had to wait a while for the fog to clear. When it did...The Valley of the Gods was gorgeous!

pic3.jpg

After our glorious ride, we searched for more ruins and rock art. This rock art panel had so much going on!

pic7.jpg

Hiking in canyon country is so nice...

pic9.jpg

Lilly had fun taking Ginger out for a hike searching for ruins! Ginger seemed a little tired!

pic4.jpg

We were successful in finding ruins. Some might only stand for a few more years. Louise and Lilly taking an afternoon break.

pic5.jpg

pic7.jpg

It didn't feel like January on this lovely evening. Our desert itch was satisfied for now...We will be back. Until then...

pic10.jpg

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Beautiful photos, regards accepting a ride, I would first make sure the pilot offering the invite was not of the frosh-soft week two of ballon piloting.

Looks to me like a wonderful experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94