Hi-lift versions

verdesardog

Explorer
Hi lift did not invent the farm jack so any brand is OK. I used a Harbor freight one and liked it better than the hi lift I have.

Not true! I was recently on a group trail run. one of the vehicles had a tire blow out. One person with a harbor freight jack tried to lift the vehicle but couldn't get the handle of the jack attached for some reason. (admitted, he never tried to use it before) No one in the group could get it attached either, so my 60" hilift came to the rescue.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
couldn't get the handle of the jack attached for some reason
The reason was probably sloppy Chinese manufacturing. You can get some decent stuff from HF if you are careful, but even their good stuff is sometimes crap, particularly when it comes to mechanical fit. Notoriously bad threading on their attachment points. I learned the hard way to test anything from HF within a couple of days of purchase, because there is about a 10% chance there will be a problem with it.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have never needed a 60". It would have been handy once when we had to use it to winch, but we got it so.... I have 48"'s, if your stuck in ruts most the time the bumper is only a inch or two off the ground and a block of wood will usually float it if it's mud or sand. If you are relying on the jack base to keep it from drilling into the ground a 60" will just go that much further. I also don't use it on pavement, I have a hydraulic jack that is way more stabile for that. I buy the stamped steel versions, but I do have some cast parts on one that I took off a jack with a bent beam.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I'm looking into buying a hi lift and it really doesn't look like there is a huge difference in price between the cheapest and the most expensive. I'll be going with a 60 extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Explorer
The 60" definitely comes in handy if you have a rig with a slinky suspension.
I've maxed out my 48" jack before getting a wheel off the ground too many times to count. I finally ditched it and got the 60" (well, not completely ditched it, my other rig needed a jack and was perfect fit for it so the jack goes with it now).
It's mounted on my tire carrier and yeah I just shoot it with WD-40 whenever I need to use it. Haven't had a problem with it.

For a majority of the rigs on here though I would completely agree a 48" jack is likely more than enough. FWIW, I recall the HF farm jack is a tad shorter @ 42".

About the "cast" and "stamped" versions... The only parts I see different are the lock lever, the "pitman" (part the handle pushes against to lift), handle socket, and the baseplate. All the actual mechanism parts are cast on both jacks (the climbing pins are steel). IMO, these 4 parts make no difference in the jack's strength or it's functioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles