what's a d4d?

Jkenosh

Observer
He bought it in arizona it was used by the Belgian embassy it has a us vin number assigned to it but no title he has European title for it I could probably get it for around 4000 but with no title don't know what I would do with it. Drove it seemed to run good and its a six speed Manuel with a center lock dif I think

java

Expedition Leader
Highly doubtful you will be able to get title. Not smog compliant, not crash tested in the US etc. Has to be 25 years old to import really.

Jkenosh

Observer
I'm in kenosha Wisconsin he would he was talking about shipping it back to Europe maybe I'm going to go bother him again next week its been sitting there for 2 years I guess

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I'm serious tell him 3 cash in hand no questions asked give me European title. I'm in Detroit. Like 6 hours away.

Offer him 2 grand and ill give you 3. Put the squeeze on him. Tell him it's 2 grand or more to ship it back to Europe.

Or I just bought a locked 95 80 today I would trade you. It has a clean title. Small cosmetic damage. We could work something out. Bottom line just get it or get me in contact please. Thank you.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You have a Canadian address to tag it in? Or do you know something we don't? Other than the d4d, the Prado does not have any adavantage to U.S. vehicles other than character.
I'm serious tell him 3 cash in hand no questions asked give me European title. I'm in Detroit. Like 6 hours away.

Offer him 2 grand and ill give you 3. Put the squeeze on him. Tell him it's 2 grand or more to ship it back to Europe.

Or I just bought a locked 95 80 today I would trade you. It has a clean title. Small cosmetic damage. We could work something out. Bottom line just get it or get me in contact please. Thank you.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You have a Canadian address to tag it in? Or do you know something we don't? Other than the d4d, the Prado does not have any adavantage to U.S. vehicles other than character.

I was kinda curious myself. If it could be titled, it is at least a $10-15K vehicle (if using a US GX470 as a gauge). But seeing as I own a GX470, I don't see the big appeal of a 2 door version of it, even with a diesel and manual tranny, except for the exclusivity part. However, if I knew I could get it titled, I would certainly jump on it if I could get it for under $5K. Probably pretty tough to ever sell it, but cool, reliable transportation for the right price. Heck, if somebody owned lots of land or a farm it would probably be the fanciest farm vehicle ever (well, except for all those $50+ 4x4 crew cab trucks).

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
No Canadian address. Not worried about title or registration I have another idea. Put a bj70 body on it. Or put it in a older 4 runner or a corolla wagon or something cool. Im serious I would be already almost to Kenosha. I'm about to just go there and drive around till I find it. It's LHD I could part it to a Canadian with a RHD. So many options. It's at least worth 2-3 grand to have sitting in the garage while I figure out a use. I'm 6 2 never be able to actually drive it around. But make a old toyota truck instead of the 22re. Who knows. I want it now!!

And I could definitely use it as an ORV without a plate. Be a sweet rig for ORV parks.

I just got an 80 today I would even trade the dealer for that. I can always find another 80.

Last edited:

nater

Adventurer
Engine, tranny, ecu, and harness are worth the asking price easily to someone who wants to do a swap

Jkenosh

Observer
Was thinking about buying for a tacoma diesel swap. But I think parts availability with the diesel would be a problem

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Was thinking about buying for a tacoma diesel swap. But I think parts availability with the diesel would be a problem

Needed parts are pretty available. It would make a killer engine swap donor.

Fwiw the D4D doesn't singularly mean 4cyl diesel (though that would certainly be the case for a Prado), for example the 1VD-FTV V8 turbo & twin-turbo diesels are also D4D technology and branding.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer

My offer stands of a locked 95 80 series if you want to get that and trade. If you don't want it I would like the contact info for the dealer please. Too much quality technology to pass up. Thank you.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
My offer stands of a locked 95 80 series if you want to get that and trade. If you don't want it I would like the contact info for the dealer please. Too much quality technology to pass up. Thank you.

Looks to be K-Town Auto Sales
262-657-1870
3611 60th St Kenosha, WI 53144-6924

zimm

Expedition Leader
if its an embassy import with a US VIN, its US legal. diplomatic cars are a loophole. if he has a Bill of Sale, he ought to be able to sort this out. i find it hard to believe the buyer didnt get a title transfer from the flemmish, but you ought to be able to track that down.

Skinny

I'm not sure I like the look of those...it's like a normal 4Runner got into an accident and became smushed. Probably because of the gigantic rear side glass.

Anyway, does a D4D engine communicate with a conventional OBDII scanner? If so, you are probably looking at one of the sweetest Taco/4Runner engine swap candidates out there. Aside from cool factor of just having it...I would probably pass. Even if you do the swap, parts will not be quick to come by simply because the engine doesn't exist state side. Another major thing going against you is that even though the truck physically sits right in front of you doesn't mean it came in legally or has the necessary paperwork. It may have been an "embassy" import but it simply doesn't comply with EPA and DOT regs. Unless you plan on spending the kind of coin it takes to swap over to DOT compliant lights, lenses, glass, cluster, etc. and prove that it meets emissions (including fuel filler, EVAP, tail, etc.), you would still have to crash test it to prove it is safe. I'm pretty sure only then will the DOT sign off on it. The only reason you could do this is because it is similiar to a chassis we already have, just shorter.

Even if you bypass all that BS and just manage to get it titled or registered in some shady state like Florida, the man eventually will find you. If he doesn't, you will be sweating big time if you get pulled over by a LEO that knows his stuff. The feds are cracking down hard core on grey market imports. Mostly stuff like Skylines and Defenders but it wasn't a cake walk like ten years ago. I think the more you research, the more you will find that it is damn near impossible to pull off "legally".

Now if you wanted to use this on a farm, incorporate it as an engine swap, build some kind of custom vehicle that you could get a custom tag/VIN applied to it...probably much better off than a daily driver.

Either way, cool truck and I'd drool over it if I saw one in person too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior