2011+ FG cabin air filters?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Has anyone sourced a more efficient air filter than the OEM "filter" (which is more of a screen...I don't think many rocks and leaves are going to get that far down in the system, but the engineers obviously thought otherwise)?

I'll be stopping by my local dealer to pick up a part, and I'll ask them - but even they're puzzled by the byzantine Mitsubishi parts system, so it might take a week or so for them to figure out that nothing's available OEM. In that case, I'll probably go with a simple foam filter, unless I get really lucky and find a low restriction pleated filter. I do have some filter supply houses close by so I might stop by them also.

This isn't a major deal, but we've got lots of dust out here, not as bad as you Aussies do, but still bad enough that I'd like to have a cleaner cab environment. The filters are easy enough to access that having a slightly more restrictive filtration element, and cleaning it often would probably be fine. If it loads up badly, shop vac it out.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Has anyone sourced a more efficient air filter than the OEM "filter" (which is more of a screen...I don't think many rocks and leaves are going to get that far down in the system, but the engineers obviously thought otherwise)?

I'll be stopping by my local dealer to pick up a part, and I'll ask them - but even they're puzzled by the byzantine Mitsubishi parts system, so it might take a week or so for them to figure out that nothing's available OEM. In that case, I'll probably go with a simple foam filter, unless I get really lucky and find a low restriction pleated filter. I do have some filter supply houses close by so I might stop by them also.

This isn't a major deal, but we've got lots of dust out here, not as bad as you Aussies do, but still bad enough that I'd like to have a cleaner cab environment. The filters are easy enough to access that having a slightly more restrictive filtration element, and cleaning it often would probably be fine. If it loads up badly, shop vac it out.

This filter is a problem. I believe it's the same as in my 2000 model and I've found nothing to replace it with. Yes it is only a screen and I have replaced it with some air-con filter medium that is 1/4" thick. Not good but better. The other trick that gets done over here sometimes is to locate the vent opening at the front of the vehicle and put a filter there. Something that I hope to look at someday but it will mean doing some modding on the front panel possibly.

Dan.

Czechsix

I checked with the dealership parts guys over here....nothing is offered as a better class filter.

Sooo...I've gone and gotten some different filter media to experiment with. Some, like you have, is HVAC medium, but I've also got some carbon impregnated stuff, some automotive air filter media, foam, etc. I'll be making some tests, and it'll be interesting to see what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking that, even with higher efficiency media and the resultant clogging issues, that the element is so easy to access, one could pull it several times a day, give it a few whacks against the bumper, and put it back in and all would be well.

I might also find out how much the stock element costs, and maybe if it's cheap enough, might be worthwhile just hot gluing some media onto it, and keep the spares to swap out.

I took the stock part over to a local filtration house...the counter guys laughed at it. Literally. :sombrero:

Czechsix

It's in the ductwork, more or less on the passenger side of the cab. Located behind the kick panel that pops off.
20150122_121416.jpg
Sliding out the "air filter"
20150122_121432.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Obviously there are some significant differences between your model and mine, as I don't seem to have one of these filters in my 2010 FG (well... not that I can see).
If someone has a 2010 and has a similar filter, please let me know where it is.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
It's in the ductwork, more or less on the passenger side of the cab. Located behind the kick panel that pops off.

Like mine but on the other side of the vehicle (it is on the passenger side). 2000 model - Open where windscreen washer bottle is and lay all the way down. From the left:- fan motor - white ducting with fan speed ballast in duct then filter in a long slot up and down. Hard to see as it looks like part of the duct.

Dan.

KMG

Adventurer
Just a thought, You may want to try vacuum sweeper hepa type filter. Made to catch dust. I have a USA 2013 model. I'll look for mine tomorrow.

Czechsix

Yeah, I thought about the HEPA filters, but there was nothing that was close to fitting. Plus, they're fairly restrictive. I'll post up some of the sample filter materials I'm working with, tomorrow. This'll be a long term project, I think for standard use I'll leave them in for 30 days, then pull and assess.

Czechsix

Got some filter media fitted into it, good test tomorrow, heading out to King of the Hammers race. Usually somewhat dusty, very little wind tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see how much this catches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke