Realistically what's my montero worth?

1morebike

Adventurer
Im going to sell my montero, this not me trying to sell it here I just honestly don't know how much to ask. I know i will not get what I have invested but I think it's worth something. Here is the good the bad and the ugly.

1990 lwb manual everything with ac. 280,000 miles new engine 90,000 ago

Full tune up including disco cap, wires, plugs, all new belts, and fuel filter. Done at the same time was new front brake calibers. All done October of last year.

Next was the timing belt and water pump, the radiator was not great so that was replaced also. It been maybe 10,000 since that was done.

New 31.5 Cooper at3 tires November of last year still in perfect shape.

All new shocks, (kyb) new gen 2 upper control arms, all new ball joints, and tie rods, and pro alignment.

I pulled out all the carpet and put 3 layers of als noise reduction and two layers of als bed liner on it, so now carpet. I also just finished really nice drawer system (used to work for custom furniture/cabinets maker.

Also changed all fluids to synthetic including redline in the transmission and t case.

Now the bad

It has a cracked exhaust manifold. I have replacement ones

Driver seat bottom sucks

I think it's got a bad rear control arm bushing as it makes some noise back there

I paid $1600 hundred for it put close to $5000 into but just dont know what ask for it. Any help would be awesome.

BOPOH

Explorer
1. why are you selling? (for money, got tired of it or found something else)
2. why can't you keep it? (do you have kids who'll need their 1st car? no space to store it?)
3. can you part it out? (is there a demand?)

I think based on that you can decide if it's worth it to sell or not. if selling is a must then it dependence on how fast you need to sell it - thus price is lower or higher.

From my personal experience $2000 is the lowest i would sell on CL even if i got it for $700, never had an issue with that. So if you want to list it for $4000 go for it :)

Eric M

Adventurer
With that many miles I'd say you're probably better off keeping it if you want more than you paid for it. That's not to say someone WON'T give you what you want for it, just that it is unlikely.

plh

Explorer
yea, that is a tough call. Most of the items are just normal PM for a vehicle with nearly 300K miles (most don't make it this far!) and it is difficult to find anybody to pay extra for that.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Vehicles need good parts to stay running, so you can't really add that to the price, if you have full documentation for the new engine and all repairs I would say throw it on ebay with a $2k opening bid. Detailed pictures showing its condition would help you immensely. I personally would never buy a vehicle with the carpet ripped out.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
You know, I recently went through this with my own 1997 Montero SR a few months ago. I paid $2,800.00 and put $3,000.00 into it. I lost money on the deal but everything I did to the vehicle was documented with receipts so I had that ready at the time of sale. I actually prepared really well prior to selling this rig. I took the Montero to get fully detailed (interior, exterior and under the hood). I posted the maximum amount of pictures Craigslist allows in well lit conditions staged in an open field of grass. Think real estate staging here. Ultimately, even though I took a $1,000.00 hit, I don't think I would have received as much as I did without going that extra mile.

The photos of the detail job were very useful to me. I considered it my advertisement fee. Be prepared to get low balled. I listed the price on my ad and in the end, my Montero Buyer's first words in a text message to me were: "I don't mean to low ball you, but..." That was pretty frustrating because his offer was 60% of what I had spent in five months of owning this thing and working on it. We met in the middle and he went his way.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is you need to prepare, and you should negotiate your price. Consider what is fair price and your lowest price. That is going to vary depending on your time frame for the sale and your sense of urgency. Good luck bro!

1morebike

Adventurer
I'm selling it because its just not the vehical for me. I'm going to stay with a Montero but I would like a gen 3 . I have a ton of recipients even the one for the engine. In reality I know I'll lose on it. I had planned to keep it forever but sometimes plans change. I'll let you know how it goes

vanatee2000

Observer
While it's good it has a new motor, if the transfer case, transmission, rear end, etc hasn't been replaced then I thunk you'll have a hard time getting much for it and might be better off keeping it. I would compare it against what is being sold locally on craigslist. How much does a 1990 land cruiser with 280k sell for? And how about a trooper? I think montero pricing is in between those two and it might give you an idea of where to start with pricing. Keep in mind what is known as the sunk cost fallacy..just because you bought your house for 300k doesn't mean you can sell it for that...the market will determine your selling price, the initial purchase price and money invested will not matter nearly as much.

plh

Explorer
While it's good it has a new motor.
O.P. says the "new" motor has 90K on it. Many people still think that its about worn out even thou these should easily go 200K plus with good maintenance. Its hard to change opinion.

might be better off keeping it.

Unless ya really need the $$$$ you get for it.

How much does a 1990 land cruiser with 280k sell for?

Too many LC fanatics out there. Easily double or triple the price of a comparable Monte. so a midway price compared to a Trooper would be skewed way too high. IMHO

Last edited:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
While it's good it has a new motor...
1990 lwb manual everything with ac. 280,000 miles new engine 90,000 ago
O.P. says the "new" motor has 90K on it. Many people still think that its about worn out even thou these should easily go 200K plus with good maintenance. Its hard to change opinion.
Guys, in no way am I trying to be a jerk about this, but I have to agree with plh on this. It's more about perception than reality at this point. The perception is that the motor is NOT new because it has 90,000 miles. Regardless of how well maintained, a buyer will not see that as new. It may be better to just say it had an engine overhaul at 190,000 miles. I know its semantics but it may matter to a buyer.

You are going to run into two types of buyers. Montero guys, and non-Montero guys. It's my opinion that you could sell it for a little more money if you find someone who appreciates Monteros and all the work you have put into it as opposed to a guy who doesn't know jack about Monteros. Personally I love the Gen I body styling and the simplicity of the interior. It's my favorite of all the Montero styles, particularly the three door, short wheel base.

I want 1MB to the the most out of his sale of course, and if I had to put a number on it I would say the following:
On the high side, $3,000.00
Lowest $2,000.00

Justification on the high side: All the engine maintenance and cooling system maintenance, the brakes and fluid changes. The "new" tires is a plus, unless they have 40,000 miles on them, but I don't think that's the case or 1MB would have mentioned that. I think JeepNmontero had a few good points but didn't get the comment about the ALS stuff you did to the truck. Either that or he really likes carpeting. The bedliner stuff here is also on my list of benefits. I could see someone looking at this list of items and realizing how much effort they would save themselves and the cost benefit would justify itself.

Justification on the low side: Bushings, Manifold and Seat bottom. On top of that there is 280,000 miles on the chassis. Personally I think you could narrow that window down by connecting with someone like RxInHed to get the manifold and seat bottom. Those bushings are cheap, get them replaced. Get it detailed too. This will narrow your range even more when its super shiny.

Look, all of us on the forum know how tough these rigs are and what we can get out of them. And as SneakyNinja likes to say, Monteros can sometimes heal themselves. LOL. But I think what would benefit your sale most would be to leave as little room as possible for negotiations. There will be certain things you may not be able to help, like the mileage, but everything else you can take care of relatively cheap.

That's my two cents. But I'm just an anonymous internet guy, so don't listen to me. LOL.

1morebike

Adventurer
Thanks guys I'm thinking of starting off at $3000 and seeing what happens. I sold my 97 Land cruiser a few years ago and took a decent lose on that but it was Midwest truck and had some rust and being out on the west coast it was hard sale. I do see gen 1 Montero's out on craigslist but they are all beat and selling for $600 mine really is in good shape and most of the pm that you would need to be done if you bought one is done. I'll keep you updated on what happens. Thanks for all the opinions

plh

Explorer
Definitely GLWYS, I own 4 of these trucks across various years and the more the market appreciates the happier we all are. !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier