2nd Tundra USB port?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
This is for my 2013 tundra. I have been looking at options to have constant un-keyed power. I have 3 blanks in the dash than will take this port. This is not a switch, you open the cover to access the port. This is the direct factory replacement, I just want to add a second one and wire it hot. This port is $66 on ebay. A couple questions:

Is this a standard size plastic piece?
Are there other types available , maybe one with 2 usb slots?
Is there any reason this port could not be hot all the time?
Also does anyone make a more powerful port that would charge an Ipad?
USB.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you've got the factory spot and hookups for that, I'd go with it. No reason not to wire it constant-hot. The existing port likely is already.

If you have constant-hot cig lighter or aux 12v ports, they make dual USB port power adapters that fit in them, almost flush. Usually with a 1A and 2A port. They're a few bucks at Walmart or amazon. I think there might even be 3A ports available. The 2A charges my iPhone and iPad2 fairly quickly.

moarpower_zpsfb602562.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader

BigAl

Expedition Leader
If you've got the factory spot and hookups for that, I'd go with it. No reason not to wire it constant-hot. The existing port likely is already.
Thats the dilemmam, neither the existing USB prot or the (2) 12v outlets are hot with the key off. On the older trucks you could jumper a relay but not so here. I am gong to a pick and pull and grabbing a factory USB port to try and make this work and look stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94