Building drawers

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Well this weekend I'm going to build a drawer system for the back of our 4Runner. I'm basically going to do a large platform on the floor with the drawers mounted to that. What do you guys recommend for affordable material? I was thinking maybe half inch plywood but I really want this to last.

r_vdb

Observer
Half-inch material wherever you can use it to keep weight down and if you have any long spans or areas where a lot of weight might sit maybe you want to use three-quarter inch material. Then it's a good glue and a bunch of pre drilled holes for screws so you don't split the plys.

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I would suggest using Birch Plywood, it is more expensive but gives you a better finish. The core is pretty much solid so the end cuts don't have open voids in the wood.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Voidless plywood. Looks better and lasts longer. For the drawer bodies, 1/2 inch plywood. 3/8 inch plywood if the drawers are rlitively small. Any thinner than that, and screws will not work, so the drawers would need to be framed. For the top, i would use 3/4 inch ply, again void less, unless the plywood is supported every foot, then you can use thinner ply.

Glue everything! The strength is from the glue. Screws and/or nails really just hold everything together until the glue sets.

If you plan on painting the boxes, Kraft faced plywood looks quite professional, or alternatively monstaliner would do a great job of hiding all your little mistakes.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just a little time and effort and some decent ACX plywood will do nicely. Fill any edge voids with bondo. Seal, primer and paint and you'll have a good look that will last as long as you care to use it.
But the birch is nice if you have the money to throw at it.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. Gives me somewhere to start and it is kind of what I was thinking I was going to use anyway. I'll post up some pics after I get it built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles